Strike First! Strike Hard! Cobra Kai Never Dies! Season 5...Sometime...

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
You see, this is the problem with having so much time between seasons and everyone blowing their load marathoning the whole season in less than a week. This is one of very few shows that I watch on Netflix and this thread was found on page 4!

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, I'm only on Episode 4 right now. But I thought it would be good to get some conversations going (spoilers in tags of course, please). Mostly just wanted to get this back on the first page.

Caldwin

Citizen
I just finished season 5. Honestly... I just don't know. Like, Season 4 started out as more of the same but then had a kick ass finale. Season 5 was kick ass most of the way, but the finale...

I mean, it wasn't terrible, but it kind of felt 50% kick ass and 50% "you have got to be hugging kidding me!"

I think I need to sleep on it. There's a bit to digest.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I’m on episode 5. This season is kind of rough to get through. How does Daniel not see what is happening, yet continues to fall for it. The more interesting story so far is Johnny, Miguel and Robby.

Caldwin

Citizen
I do like how in this season
instead of the usual BS where Johnny and Daniel start to work things out but then one Three's Company misunderstanding later everything goes to crap...this season they finally just talk things out and are finally on the same team...FINALLY!

I also loved the fight between Miguel and Robby. They had a lot of bad blood between them. It didn't get solved with one awkward drive home like I feared they'd do. They had to fight it out. It ended with a hell of an epiphany for both of them and they were finally able to talk it out.

Miguel and Samantha was also well done. Like, all around people started to actually just stop reacting and actually talk things out! Even Samantha and Tory finally worked their shit out!

Over all, this was probably the best season so far....except for one little nagging problem right at the finale....

They really went hard into making us think Kreese and Chosen were dead. Kreese got shanked in prison. Chosen had really bad cuts from a katana which were amazingly graphic for this show and end up in a pool with some heavy conspicuous blood loss. But then it was just a quick "nope, just kidding! Everyone's fine" type thing. It was a cheap out and it comes at the cost of now you can't believe them any more if they try to sell anyone's death in the future.

But aside from that one irritation (which I still haven't decided just how big a deal it is yet), this really is a great season.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
Just a little side note...

Anyone remember back in season one when the board behind the tournament refused to allow Johnny's dojo to participate under the Cobra Kai name until he convinced them that he had no affiliation with Kreese or Silver (hence their reservations were with those two in particular more than the Cobra Kai)? Whatever happened to that?

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I hate trying to justify off screen happenings to explain. But. By the 2nd all valley CK and MD had become such rivals they board might have decided to let them settle it in a somewhat controlled environment. Plus the hype around the 2 drives up attendance and ticket $ales.

Or the writers just hoped nobody would really question that later on in the series. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Didn't that largely come about because Danny was still trying to sink Johnny's Cobra Kai theough his contacts? I feel like that was about the same time he got everyone's rent raised at the strip mall? By the time Kreese steals Cobra Kai from Johnny, I doubt Danny has the same influence on the board, or really time to try with the other distractions going on in his world. And, by that time, it would likely be hard for the championship to exclude the previous year's champion dojo without any outright proof of cheating or undue violence.

Caldwin

Citizen
Just finished the season. It ended better than it started.

moral of the series: try talking things out first.
Yeah, that was my big point in one of my spoiler tags above. Amazing how much conflict can be avoided if you just freaking talk!

Darth_Prime

Citizen
And that’s why it was beyond cheesy and turning cringe. It was the same thing over and over. Which I get as an emotion filled high school kid. But Daniel constantly getting played and assuming the wrong about everybody over 5 seasons got old.

Caldwin

Citizen
Yeah, I'm so glad they finally changed things around this season. I think that more than anything is what helped make this season so great.

Top Bottom