[OOC] STOMP Remembrance Project

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That "For your sake I hope we never meet again" line comes up so much in Static's monologues that I had to find it.

This scene leads directly into...

Static and Nightcap arrive at the tailors. Static smiles politely at the stallion behind the counter as they walk in. Hello! Brisk Iron sent us. I know it's short notice, but I was hoping there was something that cold be done for us tonight? We have a ballet we're going to in ...Static looks at a clock...a couple hours and need something appropriate. I have this to trade in if it'll help.

The stallion had a brief look of shock from Static Signal's announcement that soon grew to a warm smile, "It's always a pleasure to serve one of Brisk Iron's employees. My lovely wife will..." "Already on it. Sized him up as he entered the door." She swooped up the coat with her magic and then began to cut with her scissors, "We'll get your friend in a moment but for now I've got the perfect thing. This coat is excellent because this ! shade of brown is quite vintage and serves an excellent color contrast to your bright mane. For the ballet, you don't neccesarily need a full suit. A tie, a nice collar, and some gumption will go a long way. I'll throw in a second tie since there's enough material for it and it's always good to have a spare. Take a look in the mirror and see if you like it."

Static hated ties, hated suits. He was certain he was going to despise anything that came his way. Still, he wasn't going to be rude. He took the tie and put it on. He looked in the mirror and was pleasantly surprised.

It...it looks perfect! Thank you. Static hands the second tie over to Night Cap. How much?

The mare politely yet firmly pulled the tie out of Night Cap's grasp with her magic, "This tie simply doesn't suit you. It takes a certain kind of pony to pull off a monochromatic look." "Also, the request was 'fancy'. Hold on a moment..." The stallion rang up Static Signal's ties and stuck a business card in the bag. "I'm getting ideas but I need to know, what is your budget for this? Is it just for tonight or will you be keeping it?"

Monochromatic? My mane and coat are two completely different colors.

[something something "My budget is flexible"]

Static pays his bill and subtly distances himself at the mention of Night Cap's budget. He's pretty sure the mare notices.

[OOC thread: Just to be clear, Static's only paying for his own suit. If Night Cap even tries to pin the bill for his suit on Static, Static's walking right the hug out!]

"Ah-ahm, hello?" said Amber in a small voice from the front door, slightly anxious at seeing her coworkers in the shop ahead of her. "Um, I had a bit of difficulty finding your establishment - nothing to do with you, you understand, I'm not suggesting that you should move, really, I'm simply terrible with directions - but I have heard that this is simply the most exemplary apparel shop in town, and I have a date tonight at a formal event, and I'm - ah - honestly not very fashionable, if you understand ...."

Static perks up at the new visitor. Amber! Well, good to see you again. Static goes over to talk to Amber and leaves Night Cap in the capable hooves of the store clerk. Yeah, fashion can be a hard thing to grasp. I'm not quite certain I tied this thing correctly myself, he says, tugging at his tie. You have a date? I...hope I'm not intruding being there. Who's the lucky stallion?

Static throws a glare at Night Cap, not because he said a thing offensive, but, how does a freelancer make more than me he mutters so only Amber could hear.

"Lucky ... stallion," Amber repeats. "Well, yes, you see, there's someone from the astronomy wing - you understand, I don't think it's good practice to date within one's workplace, I understand that there are possible conflicts of interest, you see, but I've never really attempted - um, ah - I've never really made much an attempt at dating, you see, and even as a young filly, I never had much interest in - um - colts, really always seemed to be busy with something, and then something fell from the sky and wrapped me in a - " Amber shook her head. "This astronomer is someone whom I don't work directly alongside in any capacity except -" she glanced around the room - "certain interdepartmental activities, you understand, and it was during a recent, um, excursion with this interdepartmental program with which you and I are both also associated that I met Rhapsody. Tough, no nonsense, very efficient, but so caring - oh, but I'm rambling, you see, I'm a little nervous as you might expect! I think you'll quite like ... her...."

"Flexible can mean any number of things and we want to make sure we design within your means. Payment is up front and we'd hate for you to pick something out that you can't afford." The mare pointed her horn at the door, "I take one, you take one?" "Of course." Amber felt herself being forcefully pulled into the room. "Let's see what we've got here. Oh. Your hair. It's..." The stallion looked over to his wife and frantically shook his head. "...quaint! You have very quaint hair."

Static raised an eyebrow. Her? Well, how about that! Well I hope you two will he turns around to see that Amber has already been whisked away and was now being critiqued never find yourselves talking to yourself like a dolt.

Wait a minute...bad idea to date within one's workplace? Does...does that include mares who are just visiting and are going to be gone in a few days? Because...well...ponyfeathers!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Um, ah, thank you," said Amber, glancing up at her bangs. "I suppose I've nearly always worn it in this style...."

"Understandable. Just coming at a blank since things need to flow together and...and your hair..." "Trade?" "Oh yes, please." The mare and stallion switched places. He chuckled, "We all have our strengths and weaknesses. She's not too keen on harder angles with hair but it seems to suit you. You may or may not want a mild trim of a centimeter or so. Trimming the bangs can bring out your eyes while leaving the bangs this length and trimming the rest makes others read a hint of shyness. Of course, you can keep it this length, your choice." Meanwhile, the mare studied Night Cap, "See, exact prices help. Do you see yourself as more shades or monocle kind of stallion?"

Static walks over with a grin on his face. I'd say trim the bangs. Anything to make you look more assertive. Anyone who's met you knows your shy side, if you don't mind me saying. You should totally surprise her. Let her know there's so much more to you.

He then looks to Night Cap. Please go for the shades. If you go for the monocle, I'd likely laugh myself sick!

"Oh, um - " Amber didn't realize that there was going to be mane trimming involved, but these were the experts, after all. "Yes, um - shyness, hmm? Well, I don't suppose - I certainly - "

She turned to Static as he spoke. "I have a shy side?" she asked. "Hmm. Well, I shall trust your judgement, Static. The bangs and the eyes it is, Mr. ..."

Well, here's the thing, Static said cautiously. They can make you look assertive. The trick is if you can be assertive. Which, yes, I know you can. I've seen shades of it. But the "Oh, um, yes, um" doesn't really help your case. You gotta feel it. Know in your gut that you deserve this mare and that you're the best thing that's ever happened to her.

When she first sees you in your dress, she needs to be so stunned that she can barely speak...totally take her breath away.

Static then turns to Night Cap. Seriously, do the shades. There is no possible way I'm taking you seriously with a monocle!

Static face hoofs and decides to focus his attention on Amber.

Amber nodded to Static but looked apprehensive as he talked about "deserving this mare." Did she, really? It seemed in inopportune time to ask herself the question.

"Yes, I understand, Static," she said, nodding her head and looking determined. "You do sound to be quite the expert in dating."

Heh! I know enough all the advise I've been given in the past. Being able to put it into practice...well...I'll let you know after tomorrow night.

"Fabulous. Now, do you have any allergies? Wouldn't want your outfit to be unpleasant, even if it wound up free." "Close your eyes." The stallion made a few scissor snips, then lightly brushed Amber's hair and held up a mirror, "Wonderful. Nothing too drastic. Now, with your mane and coat you seem to be relatively eggplant--purple base with green trim. Keeping up with the theme of angles, I'm thinking a dress with subtle horizontal lines. Nice green belt, dress ties around the neck so it leaves the ba! ck and withers visible. Maybe even change the color of the frame of your glasses to match the outfit. Sound good?"

Static looks lopsided at Amber. I don't know. On the one hoof, few ponies can pull off the meganekko look. You're one of those ponies. And it seems so central to your personality. Not sure about changing it. On the other hoof...I don't know. Guess it doesn't hurt to see what the choices are.

"Hmm. Yes, whatever you think is best, sir," Amber said. She gave Static an odd look at his slip into what sounded like Neighonese but nodded. "Yes, I think it's worth running the tests before drawing any conclusions, don't you?"

Quite! Static agreed.

And hey! It's your outfit. Just tell me if I get too overbearing. It's just interesting to me seeing a completely different side of you that's not work related. I don't know, I guess I just never considered that...go figure...ponies I know from work actually have a life outside of it.

Static took a look at the now monocle wearing Night Cap and facehoofed again. Some revelations are better than others.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"If you're wearing The Special, you'll have to sign this waiver. To pay for the free rental, we place a simple advertisement spell on you that wears off after a few hours."

"Um, oh," Amber said as the glasses were traded around her, then shook her head as she remembered Static's advice. The glasses seemed quite gaudy to her, and she would have been as worried about being seen in them as seeing through them, but having not considered trying a different style of glasses in quite some time, she did feel a little let down by the tailors' reactions. Fashionable ponies did sometimes wear such things, but even Amber knew that one did not become fashionable by pretending to understand why.

Amber hadn't noticed the display until Static pointed it out, and suddenly found it rather odd for a dress shop to include a display case of eyeglasses. She looked it over quickly and spotted a pair that seemed a bit more confident of their own geometry, simple and black with semicircular lenses in simple half-loop fames.

"These, then," she said, raising them from the case magically. "If you think we ought to draw attention to my eyes, she may as well be able to see them."

She turned her attention to the dress taking shape.

"During conversation, you will sometimes casually make a simple advertisement for our shop." The mare responded to Night Cap. The stallion sighed and turned to look at Amber, "As far as the glasses are concerned, I have a difficult question that determines my response on their need: Who are you?"

Amber blinked. "Amber Spark, a researcher with the Equestrian Expedition Keep. I'm not entirely certain that I caught your name, sir...?"

He gave a subtle smile,
"My name is Linen Blast and my wife is Silk Dazzle. You said your name and where you work...but you didn't actually say who you are."

I - ah - I like to make puzzle cubes in my spare time. Little ones, you know. Ah.

How would a confident pony answer this question? Amber thought. How would Rhapsody? Amber hadn't been expecting philosophical introspection as a part of this "fashion" process, and yet it seemed somehow that everything just might depend from her answer to this question. What kind of pony was she, what kind of pony did Rhapsody need, and what kind of glasses did that pony wear?

"I keep clocks ticking on the part of fine craftsponies who are no longer around to keep them up, Mr. Blast," Amber said. "And I'm as dependable as any watch movement for the friends who depend on me."

Static took a few steps back, bowing out of the conversation as it turned to the philosophical "who am I?"

"Who am I?" He thought to himself. He looked to Night Cap and his suit...a lonely colt trying to prove to the wrong people who he was by being anypony but himself. He looked to Amber, a homely mare too shy and too obsessed with work to be aware of the self-confident and beautiful mare inside struggling to get out. Then he looked at himself...a tie. He was...a tie.

He backed even further away, letting the tailors do their job.

Linen Blast gave a knowing nod, "Sharp. Orderly." Amber Spark felt a very brief and gentle tug on her bangs and her glasses, "Angles. My wife and I don't use fashion to try to change a pony--we try to bring out what's there already. I should probably ditch the neck ties and adjust this to a tube top. This outfit helps showcase your orderly nature but with a splash of color. Static Signal here is a vivid color but a simple tie shows dependability and familiarity. Night Cap explicitly requested fancy and free publicity is a good thing." "Speaking of which, you are correct that if you are actively advertising 'The Linen Blast & Silk Dazzle Tailor Shop', the spell won't activate. However, it also helps preserve the enchantment on the suit that returns it to us in the morning." "But getting back to you Amber, don't be overly worried of what others think if you are taking the effort to look presentable. If they can't handle that, you should dump them faster than coffee grounds the cat's spilled ketchup into." "Mrow?" "Oh, we've forgiven you. Just talking to the customers." "Mrow." "Anyway, see how this fits you, Amber."

"It only works with this suit, which we only have one of. I'll prep the spell while you put it on."

Amber keeps the glasses close as she smiles and nods at Linen Blast and draws the dress over her, unconsciously craning her neck a bit as she adjusts. She seems to shiver slightly and shakes out the fabric, smiling, and turns around to face Static. "Well, Static, how do I look?"

Static looks up from his introspection to look at Amber. He can feel his jaw hit the floor. Sweet Luna! [Easy there, Static. She's into mares you know.] What I mean to say is... [And she's already taken] That is... [ANCHORS AWAY!]

Static shakes out of it. This Rhapsody is a very lucky mare.

Amber grinned and looked slightly sheepish. "Ah, excellent. Thank you, Static," she said.

"Hmm. I'm having something of a week, Mr. Blast - I think I might want to change myself, even only a little bit. Let's take efforts, then."

Amber focused on the two pairs of glasses, lifting them in front of her magically, and began to unpeel the lenses from both sets of frames. She closed her eyes and tightly inspected her mental picture of the new frames, then mentally laid out her tools, heating, pounding, coaxing the metal against an imaginary anvil. Out in the reality of the shop, quite out of Amber's mind, the metal teased and pulled of its own accord.

As Amber Spark slipped into her outfit and modified her glasses, the couple waved their horns rhythmically towards Night Cap. As a soft teal glow filled the room, Night Cap could feel something akin to an ever so gentle brushing over his body but it radiated through his mind. As they finished, Linen Blast turned back to Amber and seemed shocked, "Oh wow. Most of those were props or standardized prescriptions for reading glasses. Well, I guess I'll throw those in at no extra cost." After paying for their outfits, the group set out for the ballet. On the way there, it was extraordinarily quiet outside with less of a evening buzz than normal. As they arrived, a line had formed but ponies seemed to now being allowed inside.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
dajjjxc-b1122770-e193-4361-a12d-f4655863673f.jpg

dal4j3p-140a4b55-0c89-40af-9860-a0eacb235bb6.jpg

dal4jji-ea0a0f5f-4f6a-4470-8385-4a3b0cd292a2.jpg

dan0cyp-e40f18fb-4605-4b89-9e8f-137008e1e545.jpg

I simplified the heck out of it, but Amber having difficulty finding the place is not something I made up.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Some OOC thread commentary. This stuff is so much easier because there's not so many font and color changes that need to be manually recreated. That stuff does not copy/paste into our new text editor.

Fnu Aw:
Aren't we all going to be quite a sight?

Static Signal:
Rhapsody: dressed up all pretty for Amber.

Amber: dressed up all pretty for Rhapsody.

Night Cap: The most dressed up pony in the history of dressed up ponies.

Static: Wearing a tie

-----

Oh yeah...quite a sight...

<_<

Static Signal:
A cape now? You're going to have to draw a picture of this.

Copper Bezel:
Yanno, I wonder if there'd be time for a hooficure.

Static Signal
You should totally do that.

Zamuel:
Curious Fnu, you currently drawing the outfit in your head? Asking since I may or may not say "Yeah, The Special looks like that" pending on how it looks.

Fnu Aw:
Basically, think Jon Pertwee's Doctor.

Zamuel:
*checks Wikipedia* Looks mostly like what I had in mind though I also had a homburg with a very large plume stuck in it.

Zamuel:
That works.

Was aiming for stark white as the primary color with something else as the secondary, running off the theory of something that contrasted with Night Cap's rather natural colors.

Fnu Aw:
I'll accept any colors. It'll just look white when I draw it anyway. Anyone who feels the need to colorize the picture can go crazy.

Rhapsody:
Oh great, Now you'll end up as Colin Baker rather then Jon Pertwee. :p

Fnu Aw:
I presume this place wants good publicity.

Rhapsody:
"Any publicity is good publicity"

Zamuel:
The tailor doesn't provide mustaches. :p

Static Signal:
I see Static was right to be concerned.

Sunbeam:
Saving Snowy Skies' response for the inevitable actual meeting... [Editor note: I gotta find this now]

Static Signal:

Fnu Aw:
I feel like it's missing something.

Static Signal:
A sense of restraint?

Fnu Aw:
Gloves! I forgot gloves.

Just realized...these posts would've fit really well in IC.

Sunbeam:
Also, you have hooves. So gloves are...socks.

Copper Bezel:
Naw. The cut is different.

Rhapsody
when it comes to clothed footwear, cut and material makes all the difference. For example, the socks Rhapsody normally wears are a cotton material, similar to everyday socks, while the lilac stockings she's currently wearign are more sheer and silky in fabric. I imagine gloves would be much shorter the either, and a pleather-ish material.

Static Signal:
Copper, just a thought, but I'm thinking Copper and Static may want to pretend not to know him.

Copper Bezel:
Linen Blast ... Silk Dazzle.

Also, I see what you did there, and it is the best thing.

Zamuel:
You don't know how disappointed I'd been if no one caught that. Now back to references I don't expect people to catch.

Rhapsody:
Static took a few steps back, bowing out of the conversation as it turned to the philosophical "who am I?"

"Who am I?" He thought to himself. He looked to Night Cap and his suit...a lonely colt trying to prove to the wrong ponies who he was by being anypony but himself. He looked to Amber, a homely mare too shy and too obsessed with work to be aware of the self-confident and beautiful mare inside struggling to get out. Then he looked at himself...a tie. He was a cheap...monochrome...tie.

He backed even further away, letting the tailors do their job.
Maybe time for Static to speak up and suggest he needs more then a simple tie?

Static Signal:
But he wouldn't. He has what he absolutely needs for the event. To spend more money for a suit he'd only wear once would be unthinkable for him. He really is a cheap monochrome tie.

Rhapsody:
could always go in with Night Cap and get the Special as well :p

Static Signal:
It's an interesting thing Static's telling me. He's kinda jealous that Night Cap and Amber are getting these fancy outfits while he only has a tie. But at the same time, he would not...by any stretch of the imagination...feel comfortable in anything that fancy (he would say 'stuffy').

Static Signal:
And for the first time, I actually enjoy the thought of Static's suffering.

Zamuel:
Wait, how is Night Cap getting home to pick up a mustache? I didn't think he lived in Caballuston.

Static Signal:
He'll hoof it.

Rhapsody:
He'll pencil it on, having misjudged the term 'pencil mustache' and taking it literally..

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
That "For your sake I hope we never meet again" line comes up so much in Static's monologues that I had to find it.

Dazzling had a bit of an affect on him. As for the rest, I absolutely loved this scene. Static was trying to give fashion tips while all the while making it obvious he (and honestly I) know nothing about fashion. I was kinda sad Amber's coming out to Static and Static being stunned by Ambers new look didn't make it into the comic, but I understand why. It wasn't really important to the overall narrative. I am so glad you've been able to find all this.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As far as Amber's new look, it's one of those times when the OOC thread had an influence. I wanted the immediate contrast of revealing all three at once. I did try to make her look good.

As for Amber coming out, the comic had been so unsubtle about her relationship with Rhapsody that I doubt I could have possibly captured that moment properly.

Moving on:

As ponies from outside were being let in, ticket holders from the charity dinner had already been allowed to sit down. Rhapsody had a front row seat and it seemed like Dusty Winds had a conspicuous empty seat on one side of her as Rhapsody saw hers was on the other. Meanwhile, Light Fantastic went back to her room to get dressed for the performance.

Having never been to a function like this, Static didn't notice anything abnormal about the silence. He stood in line with the others.

So is Rhapsody already here or is she coming later?

Static was a little on edge as they walked to the ballet. It feels like a ghost town! What are the odds that everypony is at this thing. When they got there and the line didn't account for the utter deadness of the city, he muttered again. I don't like this. The city is just too dang quiet.

Fnu Aw:
Night Cap nervously looks around for anyone he recognizes."I do hope Sands will be able to get me in."

Static facehoofs...a habit he noticed he seemed to be getting around Night Cap. You don't have a ticket?

Amber thanked Mr. Blast sincerely and repeatedly for the glasses frames and immediately found herself distracted by any nearby mirrors and reflective surfaces; she really did feel rather fashionable in the new dress. Her anxieties about her date and about seeing Toni again after so long - and the possibility of an attack by an ancient and powerful queen of Anugypt, she occasionally reminded herself - aside, she couldn't help thinking about how she must look as she walked down the street with Static and Mr. Cap, and had to resist the urge to stop and cross her hooves fillyishly, enjoying the feeling of the flowing sleeves orbiting her fetlocks.

"Oh, yes, of course," she said, distractedly, as Static and Mr. Cap discussed Mr. Cap's ticket situation. She drew the final spare ticket from her bag. "Courtesy of Hazel Naught in accounting, I suppose, Mr. Cap."

Static gave a sigh of relief. Problem solved! Static looked up the line. He tried to keep his voice down so nopony but Amber and Nightcap could hear. Does anyone else find it disconcerting that we're allowing all these innocent civilians into an event that's likely to be the sight of an epic battle against an undead Anugpt queen who's made a habit of foal napping ponies without a trace?

"Hmm. Yes, I suppose that does seem rather unwise of us. I worry that somepony's contribution may have unduly colored Ms. Flint's perception of the gravity of the situation," said Amber, shooting a look at Night Cap too brief to make eye contact. "But most importantly, Static, we will be there. I must say that I'm not entirely comfortable with our new role as - some sort of monster hunters - instead of protecting the Keep's discoveries, but I think our performance last night was quite satisfactory in repelling COIN's attack. Whatever we're facing tonight, I know that we ! can protect the civilians of Caballuston, particularly with Rhapsody's assistance. I think it's best to focus on the most likely outcome of tonight's events - that we'll all simply have the chance to partake in a stunning performance and deal with this resurrected queen business in the morning. I can't say that I'm not concerned about Ms. Zag, and I do wish that we could help her immediately, but if this really is our best chance for finding her, as well...."

Static gave a lopsided grin in response to Night Cap. Yeah, if I'd ever gone to any events before, I'm sure they would.

He then turned to Amber. I...think we got incredibly lucky last night. I know if I were one of these ponies out for a good time, I wouldn't be too happy to learn my life was knowingly placed in danger at the whim of a museum employee.

Not that there's anything to be done about now, I suppose. But just so we're on the same page, if we have a choice between capturing this queen or saving one of these ponies...

"Well, yes, Static, any efforts we make to stop the queen will after all be intended to protect ponies." Amber paused, seeming distracted by something Static had said. "Capture?" she repeated. "Oh my, you don't think she might know the secret of how the tetrahedra were built - or the recipe of ancient Anugyptian concrete! - " Amber exclaimed, turning away from Static and trotting faster as she ran over the possibilities.

Static catches Amber Applejack style. Woah there! There's still a line to go through and these ponies don't look like they'll take too kindly to cutters. I have no idea what you were just talking about. I only meant "capture" in the way that it was made abundantly clear to me that we do not "kill."

Amber realized that she had wandered out of their place in line and followed Static back to Night Cap. "Oh," she said, seeming slightly disappointed. "But yes, of course you're right, Static, our first obligation is to protect these innocent patrons of the performing arts."

Static nodded as they took their places back in line and took a deep breath. Good to hear.

Please don't do that again. I may be decent in a fight (a surprise to even myself), but I'm still sorely out of shape. Running...not good for a pony. Static doubles over, still trying to catch his breath. Sweet Luna I could use a cider!

Fnu Aw:
"What is it about cider that's so appealing? Is it so very refreshing?"

Not at all. If anything, it's dehydrating. And for your sake, I hope you never figure out its appeal.

A particularly well dressed gentlecolt who was waiting in line looked Night Cap up and down until saying, "I say, that is a simply smashing outfit. Is it from Prance?"

"Quite fortuitous that somepony local would have such talent. I'll have to peruse their wares when my schedule permits." The line began moving and the gentlecolt's attention traveled back towards the front.

Static looked impressed at the interaction between Nightcap and the gentlecolt. Well, what do you know. I guess Night Cap found his element and was actually right about the monocle. He says to himself. He turns to Amber with a sigh. I'm either having a really strange nightmare or I've finally gone completely crazy.

Amber nodded. "I suppose that fashion may be a field that will remain forever beyond my expertise," she said.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As they find their seats (or whatever you want to call the pony equivalent), Static sets up his equipment. They're not the best seats of the house, but he's still able to get a pretty decent shot of the stage and an angle for getting crowd shots. He takes some preliminary footage of ponies coming in and taking their seats. He then waits for the act to start.

The whole time he looks for anything suspicious. He's not used to these kinds of gatherings, so he's not quite sure what "suspicious" would include, but he keeps an eye out for anything that definitely just isn't right.

Snowy Skies spies Static, Amber and--goddesses, was that Night Cap?--coming into the building, but fails to make himself heard over the rumble of the shifting crowd. Persistently, he threads his way after them, following them all the way to their seats before he finally catches up. He's about to open his mouth and properly greet them when he registers Amber's glasses. "They're...beautiful." He says unconsciously, resisting the urge to lift them off Amber's face and inspect them. The shape, the etchings, the sheen..."It's perfection in metallurgy." He says, completely enraptured. "Who made these?"

Amber immediately scanned the room for Rhapsody, while wondering if there was time before the performance to visit the orchestra pit and say hello to Toni. But she had scarcely entered when Snowy Skies addressed her, and she had scarcely time to scowl before blinking in shock that Mr. Skies seemed to be complimenting her.

"Mr. Skies, hello, so very nice to see you here," she said quickly. "I, ah, purchased the frames along with my dress at the local tailor's, run by a Ms. Dazzle and a Mr. Blast. I, ahm," she paused and grinned shyly, "I added the scrollwork and the patina myself. You know, I've always had an affection for Reneighssance metalwork, just a touch of floret and flourish, you know," she said. "Do you think they're ... fashionable?" she asked, suddenly uncertain of herself.

The necessities of participating in casual conversation broke the spell, and Snowy Skies shook his head lightly, hoping to clear it. "Fashion is not something I could hope to keep track of, but I think they have an inner glow, which they quietly impart to your face. Much of my understanding of aesthetic comes in the form of color mixing, and the bronze matches your skin nicely." He says, awkwardly adjusting a hoof cuff. "I really shouldn't be surprised that you made them your--" His brain abruptly registers the hints and flashes of Night Cap's outfit he's been getting around Amber, and he awkwardly stops mid-sentence to lean around the mare and observe...the full sartorial splendor of the stallion. He very quickly pulls himself back and shuts his eyes, resisting a variety of urges, among them the urge to vomit and the urge to knock Night Cap to the floor, expounding loudly upon the right of a stallion to follow his own way, regardless of the tyranny other ponies might force upon him. "You said you designed them yourself? How did you...how did you alter the frames?" He says, valiantly trying to continue his conversation with Amber despite his closed eyelids (and the image seared onto the back of them).

"My training is in restorations and replicas, Mr. Skies," Amber said, still feeling somewhat shy and humbled - nopony had ever taken much interest in her puzzle boxes, and while she was used to professional approval of her work, it never seemed quite so - personal? Spontaneous? "I trained at the Barb School of Cursorial Studies. I'm used to working with my hooves, you know - I honestly find it much more satisfying - but given the circumstances today, since I needed the frames altered rather quickly, I used my magic. It's something I've been able to do since - oh, my, it must have been around the time of my cutesinera." Amber's mind drifted to the image of a misshapen iron ashtray and shook her head. "I've, ahm, improved rather a bit since then. But I just - ah - start a conversation with the metal and show it what I'd like it to do. As long as we both understand each other, I think it can go quite well," she said, smiling.

At the mention of a cutesinera, Snowy Skies' eyes harden, and he glances back at his own flank, momentarily covered by his tuxedo pants, but he pulls his focus back into the conversation, intrigued by Amber's perspective on shaping things. "I couldn't imagine doing something like with sound. It's far too nebulous, and wishy-washy. If you're not forceful with it, it just fizzles like a weak note." He smiles a little, but as he remembers his own weak notes, the smile takes on a sad quality.

Being in the front, it was easy to take notice when ponies entered the auditorium of the theater, though when Static walked up to the seats Rhapsody looks over to the stallion. Of course she couldn't address him as if she knew him, but it also made her look around more to see if she could find Amber as well. She walks past Static as he is setting up his equipment, deciding to let Amber do introductions for them later as the simplest way around meeting him again.

Rhapsody walks up to Amber and smiles. "Well, you certainly cleaned up nice for our date." She replies a bit teasingly. She hadn't expected Amber to get such a makeover; as the beige pony seemed to have much more simple tastes and thought she would just have worn a simple dress. Stepping closer she gives Amber a warm kiss on the cheek, as she was still unsure just how much affection to show this early on in a relationship.

Amber looked puzzled for a moment. "I always did think Toni's approach - my sister, Sepia Tone, she's performing tonight, you see - with her music seemed very - structured, refined. Confident. I suppose that I - well, you know, I can appreciate a well-executed piece of music as well as anypony, but I really suppose that I don't have the head for it, myself. The way Toni would draw her bow so strictly, like a precise cut -" Amber felt she might be rambling again, but Mr. Skies seemed genuinely interested in the conversation. "With metal, it's all very different. A steel strip that you've bent in a loop or twisted helically remembers being straight, and there are all sorts of tensions and currents in it, all in a balance that makes it what it is. Deep down, there are crystals and strands and folds. They're stronger than you are, after all, and you need them on your side. It's no good forcing and giving them a wrong -"

Amber had nearly forgotten herself and where she was as she spoke, and then she saw Rhapsody.

Rhapsody was simply stunning. Amber didn't need to know the fine particulars of the art of fashion to notice. The shimmering color of her gown, the fine arcs that drew perhaps more of Amber's attention than she would have willed to another fine balance of powerful forces as the mare trotted confidently toward her. Static's words about "deserving" Rhapsody flicked to mind - and the thought that if Amber had "cleaned up" for Rhapsody's sake, was Rhapsody's "cleaning up" for Amber? - and a part of Amber wanted to scream or bolt. Amber mumbled a "Rhapsody, it's good to see you, yes, thank you very much" as the pegasus stepped up to her. She closed her eyes unconsciously and seemed to inflate slightly as Rhapsody kissed her cheek. Amber's eyes locked with Rhapsody's.

"Ahm, Rhapsody, I'm - I'm very happy to see that you made it," she said, "Thank you. You look - very nice yourself tonight," she said, almost squeaking.

Static grinned as Snowie fumbled over talking to Amber. He grinned even wider as his first meeting with the stallion came to mind. Am I interrupting a moment? he teased Snowie.

He shuffled out of the way as Rhapsody walked by and gave a polite nod. You must be Rhapsody. It's amazing the affect you seem to have on Amber. It's good to meet you, finally.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Night Cap does not react as Snowy chats with Amber, but the arrival of Rhapsody draws his full attention. He expected Snowy, but hadn't seen Rhapsody all day and the possibility of her attendance slipped his mind.

He smiles and waves vigorously.

What efffect? Well, she certainly didn't dress this...way...for...me. Something distracts Static briefly. He shakes it off but a look of concern crosses his face. Snowy, a word with you, please?

He takes Snowie aside (a.k.a. PM).

Curious about the commotion, Dusty Winds flew over to the group. Staring at Amber Spark in confusion, she tilted her head until asking, "Amber, is that you?"

Amber wasn't certain how to comment on the discussion of "effects" Rhapsody may or may not have on her, or the gravity, air pressure, and lighting of the room. She stepped closer to Rhapsody and made a soft nuzzle into her neck as the discussion seemed to - well, it certainly seemed to be happening, still, but couldn't have had any particular relevance.

She looked up at Ms. Winds' voice. "Yes, of course, Ms. Winds," she said, smiling. "I really can't imagine who else I might be at the moment." [Editor note: God I love Amber]

Dusty Winds chuckled, "Sorry about that. Almost didn't recognize you without your glasses."

"Hmm," Amber said. She wasn't sure, but perhaps not being recognized was something of a compliment. "Yes, I do think these new frames are a bit more suiting - and I scarcely recognize myself in this dress," she said with a giggle. She looked in Night Cap's direction as he addressed Rhapsody. A touch of confidence from the dress, her success with the frames, Rhapsody standing so close that she could feel her warmth, the jovial atmosphere, and Amber found herself compelled to act in a way that she couldn't have predicted. As if the situation around her was hers, and she could! shape it like any piece of metal, with the right understanding.

"Oh, Rhapsody," she asked, turning to face her. "Do you know this stallion?"

As Night Cap trots over to her, Rhapsody blinks as she looks to him. She wanted to facehoof right there... She had thought she over-dressed... but certainly if you were to look up over-dressed in a dictionary for sure there would be Night Cap in this ridiculous get up of his. But it is when Amber speaks up that she gets an awful idea... a wonderfully awful idea, and she is not sure how she manages to hide the smile as she turns her head to Amber and looks to her marefriend straight faced. "Oh gosh no, I've never seen this stallion before in my life. But he certainly look very pompous, I not the sort of pony I would ever have! in my entourage. Maybe he has confused me with someone from one of his obviously higher social circles."

"Hmm. Yes, I suppose you're quite right; he's probably in a whole other world than ours," said Amber, smiling, eyes still locked with Rhapsody's.

"By the way, have any of you seen Aunt Brisk? I know she wouldn't be able to make it to the charity dinner but I hoped she wouldn't miss the ballet."

Static nods to Snowy and turns back to the others. Oh come on, now. He may be that embarrassing brother that you try to distance yourself from in a crowd dress up like that...but let's not be mean, he says, firmly convinced of his earlier observation of a lonely pony trying to fit in. At least not too much, he couldn't help but add with a chuckle.

He turns specifically to Amber. Sorry to take you away from your marefriend, but I need to talk to you for a second.

spoiler

"No, I haven't seen Ms. Iron," said Amber. "I know that she meant to attend - Ms. Flint mentioned as much," she said.

Amber turned to Static, but kept her expression noncommittally vacant as Static talked about Night Cap. Still, she followed him aside. Marefriend. Amber felt her heart skip a cog every time anypony said the word.

Amber listened to Static's explanation. "Yes, I understand," she said, her expression suddenly quite serious. "The same thing was happening to Ms. Hazel Naught today - I'm going to have to retract my earlier skepticism; I think we're in for the full performance tonight."

Static sighed. This isn't quite what I expected when I interviewed to join ST...our...little group. Fisticuffs against a secret organization trying to steal artifacts is one thing. But this...I don't think I even believed in the supernatural until tonight.

Static grins. Hey, if we didn't tease you, how else would you know we cared? Besides, I warned you about the monocle. And I have to admit, I kinda stopped paying attention after you ignored me about the monocle, so the hat...well... Static is at a loss for words. He gets in closer to Night Cap, his tone more serious. Honestly, Night Cap. Who are you trying to impress? Us? Cause you shouldn't have to go to such lengths to impress your friends. And if you're trying to impress them he says, indicating the rest of the stuck up and snooty high class, you're playing to the wrong crowd.

Rhapsody looks over to Dusty. "Last time I seen her was this morning, when we had our discussion and she gave me the ticket to the Dinner."

Much like Amber, Rhapsody's expression remains neutral as Static's comments about Night Cap. She then looks back to Night Cap as he speaks again. "My good sir, I don't make sport of anything, and I severely doubt anyone would make a mockery of such a finely dressed pony such as yourself." Rhapsody says, while refusing to add on about how he does that all on his own. "But I do believe you are confused, maybe you need to check your ticket? Surely someone of your standing would have a private box, and not be amongst us common rabble."

Static throws a brief glare Rhapsody's way. He sighs as he turns back to Night Cap. Okay, that was a little...mean...I suppose. But seriously, this dress up thing you have going on...not helping you fit in. Just...think about it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
All the dancers were in their places, ready and waiting for the show to start. Silky Double-Time briefly stumbled then righted herself. Looking over to Light Fantastic, she asked, "Did you feel that? Felt really drowsy all of a sudden."

Though nopony was standing there, Snowy Skies could hear a voice next to him say, "I have incanted and prescribed a verbal spell composed of secret sound. It should activate on its own but it'! s done in parts for these parts to activate, it requires most of the orchestra keep and continue playing. I have erred on the side of an awakening spell since it should also wake any in the audience who fall asleep."

The orchestra filled the orchestra pit and out of the corner of her eye, Amber Spark could spot her sister, Sepia Tone.

Amber nods slightly as Rhapsody speaks, as if gradually realizing something. "Yes, as much as we are honored by your presence, sir, I do believe you've quite mistaken us for somepony else. Really, at a gathering of this magnificently massive magnitude, I'm imminently aware it's entirely inevitable from time to time. There's no need for anyone to become embarrassed about it. We'll just go and find our seats, now. I have a sister and friend in the performance tonight."

Amber spotted Toni. "Oh, Toni!" she said, attempting to catch her eye, then realized the performance was nearly underway. "I suppose I haven't time to speak to her. I really must see her after the performance," she said to Rhapsody.

Look to Amber and then grins softly at that. "Oh, I simply must meet your Sister. I wanna know what she would think of your new Marefriend." She giggles softly.

Static sighs.

He understood Amber and Rhapsody's chiding of Night Cap. Looking at the ridiculously dressed stallion, he had to admit he kinda wanted to pretend to not know him either.

But he there was teasing and then there was...that just crossed the line into being mean. He had to admit, as embarrassed as he was of Nightcap, he was also, for the first time, disappointed in Amber.

With another sigh he put a comforting hoof on Night Cap. I understand that, I suppose. I mean, trying to impress others was never really my thing, but I guess I can understand it. Just...you kinda over did it...a lot. He cast a slightly defiant glare towards Amber and Rhapsody. Still...better to be gaudy than cruel.

Static turns to get ready to start recording once the show actually starts.

Static spares a glance at Night Cap. Hey, don't let it ruin your night. Odds are, if I could've afforded it, I might've wound up going a bit overboard too. Mean times, you're with friends at a highly talked about performance. Enjoy it!

Snowy Skies strides past Night Cap quickly and carefully, avoiding keeping him in his gaze for too long, but leaves a few words behind on his way back to his seat "While I certainly understand the concept of wanting to look well, your outfit is on the verge of making me physically ill. You shouldn't wear it here, you should wear it into battle. ...So I suppose this is an apt time for it." Walking back to his seat, he drops a statement that only the 6 center seats of the front row can hear. The orchestra is bespelled to...at the very least, awaken any sleeping audience members, and possibly do a great deal more. But it requires the Orchestra to keep playing, which seems unlikely in the case of a crisis. So if the orchestra scatters, someone get me a script from the strings section, as soon as possible.

I am placing my trust in the work of a stallion I have known for just over 24 hours, Snowy Skies reflects quietly. Not that I have many other things to place faith in right, but how things change, hm? Admittedly, I do have a back-up plan: play music for it until it's intradimensional ears disintegrate. ...It's flawed, but it is a plan.

...What does death hold in store for special little me?

...I need properly spend time with Static, Amber, and Night Cap at some point, He decides, never registering the fact that he may have just been Dusty Wind's first informant of the situation.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Oops! I remember Static late (like near the very end) of the RP saying that he couldn't remember who it was that did the whole "am I interrupting a moment" bit. But here he fully acknowledged it was Snowy and teased him about it.

Whoops!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
To be fair, I also forgot about Static teasing Snowy about that, and found it hilarious.

So while the comic made up the specific scene of Static teasing Night Cap about "I'm your new boss", it turns out that Static actually does that sort of thing.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I believe I have found the very first MidnightCap discussion. This was during the ballet. Snowy started looking as Light Fantastic funny, making Night Cap the only remaining player character not getting shipped with anypony. History ensued.

Static Signal:
So...where's Nightcap's love interest?

*nervous glance to the undead queen they're about to fight*

:doh

[I must have said something about Dazzling Midnight here.]

Static Signal:
You weren't there when she threatened me next time we met, so I'll ignore that you said that.

Rhapsody:
You say that, as if it would change things. It is Night Cap we are talking about. Maybe now you know why Rhapsody is trying so hard to act like she doesn't know him :p

Static Signal:
Oh, I got it the moment I actually started to see Night Cap in action in this RP. And I think even static gets it.

It's just he's lonely in need of some friends and is a bit more forgiving of the...idiosyncrasies...of those he also sees as lonely in need of some friends.

Rhapsody:
Yes, but this is someone that is lonely, in need of some friends, and is possibly after the plot of the mare that wants to kill you. And who could still be a double agent considering how friendly he is with COIN operatives in general...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Some miscellaneous things I'm finding as I scroll through these.

Destron joins as our sixth member, setting off a discussion of the Elements of Harmony.

Sunbeam:
You never know when Zamuel might go for the cliche and make us into the elements of harmony!

Static Signal
Night Cap = loyalty
Static = laughter

That's all I got. I leave the rest to y'all.

Rhapsody:
Yeah, Night Cap would definitely be Laughter, because he;s the laughing stock of our team :p

Zamuel:
This generally doesn't work out for play by post. Since we're on this, I can't remember if anyone's even used an element/virtue at all in this campaign.

Sunbeam:
I don't think anyone has.

Laughter - our eventual 6th
Generosity - Night Cap
Loyalty - Rhapsody
Kindness - Light Fantastic
Honesty - Snowy
Magic - Amber

Or

Laughter - Night Cap
Generosity - Night Cap
Loyalty - Night Cap
Kindness - Night Cap
Honesty - Night Cap
Magic - Night Cap

Copper Bezel:
This does seem right, although Snowy and Amber could easily be interchanged.

I did end up as Laughter. It's interesting to think that I was ever thought of as Generosity or Loyalty. I guess going to that sting operation counts for something.

Behind the scenes info for Season 2

Zamuel:
Veldfire Green was very much supposed to be a foil for Willow Wisp. ... While they never met him, Flutters and Ivy were foils for Static Signal.

Zamuel:
Splash Flaunt, Bottle Wary, and Absent Shadow almost came back for the second arc but I never got a good moment to work them in.

Flutters and Ivy were foils for Static. Fascinating.

On the topic of Flutters and Ivy:

Zamuel
But yeah...COIN. While they're obviously a threat and there's a lot of good things about their presence in the campaign, there's also a big "everyone is a COIN agent" problem that this part of the campaign has stumbled upon. A greater number of outside parties, both good and evil, should help mitigate that.

Static Signal
But...even when it's not Ganon...it's still Ganon.

Rhapsody
Well it could be the fact that it seemed like most characters you were introducing the first night ended up being COIN agents...

Static Signal
then wondered why nopony trusted Tangerine Sands.

Zamuel
Hindsight is 20/20 and all that. Granted, I really didn't think he was giving off all that many villainous vibes.

Rhapsody
Neither did the siblings Night Cap dealt with, and yet *boom* COIN agents.

Copper Bezel
Well, yeah. That was kinda the point.

Fnu Aw:
I still find it hilarious that I was working for COIN agents. I will be disappointed if we don't see them again.

And Dazzling Midnight. I barely got to see her.

Copper Bezel:
I shippit.

Static Signal:
I'd kinda like to see Dazzling Midnight again. At this point, I think she's the closest thing Static has to an arch-rival (considering Silent Belle is in prison and Zam doesn't believe cardboard prisons). And of course, being his arch-rival and all, I'm not sure how he would react to Night Cap crushing on her. So yeah, I'd definitely want to see her again.

I think I'd want to level up a bit first though. :doh

Copper Bezel:
Indeed. Also
A greater number of outside parties, both good and evil, should help mitigate that.
Parties? Did someone say parties? YAY!

Zamuel:
Ah. Well, while being COIN agents wouldn't be obvious, I actually was trying to play up Stumped Ivy's annoying traits. I guess the problem is that Night Cap has some 'acceptable target' issues to where it didn't seem that big of a deal. Essentially, you don't make someone look villainous by giving Dash a hard time but rather you make them give Fluttershy a hard time. Plus, Summery Flutters didn't help Night Cap down the hill but that could have easily been viewed as an accident instead of rushing to pull a job.

It's true. I was the direct target of Stumped Ivy's traits. I began the season by getting KO'd and falling through two floors of a cave. And I still didn't perceive him as villainous.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The very next MidnightCap discussion, immediately following this discussion, also around this time. Includes another classic Snowy line.

Destron D-69:
Dazzling Midnight is a very purdy name

@_@

Copper Bezel:
I really can't wait to see her future interactions with Night Cap.

Static Signal:
With Night Cap? But...but...she's my nemesis.

Oh, and if Night Cap were to start dating a COIN operative that has pretty much threatened my life if we ever meet again...I'm thinking I'd have to consider that a betrayal and I don't think we could be friends after that.

Fnu Aw:
I was outside during that part. All I know is the friendly face she puts on.

Static Signal:
Static also flat out told him she works for COIN. And unless he really is that dull with adding 2+2, he should know the Static now has to relocate because of her. Heck, for that matter, even Night Cap seemed worried that she might have seen through his lie. So...I don't think Static will be offering too much slack on this. Maybe one outright warning...if that.

Destron D-69:
what if he's such a good 'date' that she converts to the side of good ?

Static Signal:
Heh! Static still wouldn't trust her, he'd still consider it a betrayal, and they still wouldn't be able to be friends. He may just have to toss Night Cap off a cliff.

Copper Bezel:
See what I mean? I really can't wait to see her future interactions with Night Cap. = D

Fnu Aw:
Is it too late for that elemental resistance? :D

Static Signal:
Well...if dropping you off a cliff doesn't work...well...we've all seen what Rhapsody can do to boulders. I'm sure Night Cap's bones wouldn't be too tough for her. Static may just have to look the other way.

Which of course means, yeah, go out on a date with her. I'd love to see where the RP goes from there. I'm sure it'll be interesting at the very least.

Copper Bezel:
Rhapsody sure is good at breaking those bones.

I'd also be amused to see where Snowy would fall in all of this. Back up his old friend, or ... ?

Sunbeam:
"There are words for how stupid this was. I used to know them, but to bring them back into my mind would literally end me. You deserve what you get."

Fnu Aw:
"I just... wanted a hug."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Willow Wisp and her foil.

Try and try and try as he might, for all the effort Night Cap put in, he simply couldn't catch up to Summery Flutters and Stumped Ivy as they traveled northward. Now he had an abandoned notebook and a steep hill to scale down. Meanwhile, the mayor gave Willow Wisp her payment. After the mayor left, Veldfire Green pulled Willow Wisp aside, "This means a lot to me. Years ago, my younger brother got trapped in a vildfire. Thankfully, ve managed to get him to safety before he vas seriously injured but it still took it's toll. He's the only adult in the town who didn't participate today. He's too terrified. Mere candles fill him vith fear. I understand that brushfire is a natural part of the area but I didn't vant anypony else to risk getting hurt. Villow Visp, vhat vould you do to protect those you love? Me? I vould give the whole vorld." After a pause, she shook her head and chuckled, "Here I am, laying all my burdens on you. Sorry about that. Besides, vhat am I rambling on about? My friends and family vould never profit from the end of the vorld. Once again, thank you for helping this community."

Willow Wisp had wanted to leave immediately after getting paid, but she allowed herself to be pulled aside by Veldfire Green before she could take off. She listened intently, but then she was struck by the first question, her worries and problems with Tweet Speak were pulled to the forefront, and her mind fell into high alert. Her feathers and fur bristled instinctively, as if getting bigger could fend off marital problems. She maintained a calm demeanor, but her mind had once again resumed hostilities, she was distractedly listening at best, and Veldfire Green's bright yellow coat was doing her no favors.

Her mind kept working and working and working and then tripped on something the other mare said, "...vould never profit from the end of the world." She knew that phrase, she remembered it from the mountain. Of course, she could hardly forget anything about that mission, but that stood out. Willow's mind crashed to a halt, and her eyes narrowed, and she composed herself.

"Of course, I'm happy to see a job well done. Contact me if you need any problems..." She prepared to take off, "Stomped out."

Taking off, she felt proud of that little wordplay, Tweet Speak would have loved it.

Veldfire Green smiled and waved at the departing Willow Wisp, "I certainly vill!" Meanwhile, the numerous foals that surrounded Night Cap prepared to reply to his question and ask several of their own until they became distracted by the sight of the 'Fire Lady' who they happily cheered and waved to overhead.

[...]

After getting some info from the locals, Willow Wisp found that Veldfire Green was doing some work outside her home, "Vonderful to see you returned after things vent so svimmingly. Vas there anything else I could help with?"

"Yes. We need to talk. Inside." replied Willow Wisp curtly.

"Very vell."
Veldfire Green walked inside and held the door open for Willow Wisp.

Willow Wisp closed the door behind her, and then locked it behind her, for good measure.

Willow Wisp rounded on Veldfire as she cleared her throat, "There is no profit in the end of the world." She quoted, and then affixed Veldfire Green with a cold stare, "What do you know about COIN?"

Veldfire Green sighed and sat down, "You may have noticed from my voice that I'm not from around here. Family moved here vhen I was young and it became home. After vhat happened...vith the fire...I hoped it vould never happen again. I know this area has such fires and it could happen at any time. Two of my employees, Summery Flutters and Stumped Ivy, have been talking vith me the past year about...options. The siblings have been vorking vith this COIN on their off time and kept telling me about travel, meeting new ponies, and the like. The more they talked about it, the m! ore it stayed in the back of my mind. In the end, it came down to money. The town simply couldn't spare the expense to pay you. Flutters and Ivy said they'd pay for it but I vould need to join them. I agreed because...vell, vhat vould you do to protect those you care about?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The first OOC thread email I have:

Static Signal:
Woah! Anchors Away is a real canon G3 pony? Funny, I don't remember her in the toons. Was she toy only?
Heh!

The first IC thread email I have:

Amber's eyes widened at Static's reference to Dazzling Midnight's words, and she didn't hide her uncertainty at how to answer his question. "They are ..." she started, thinking of Splash Flaunt (whom she hadn't exactly liked , but found less threatening than, say, Hazel Naught) and Bottle Wary, but also of the tough mercenaries who attacked the research station, and now this plan to steal the Sword and Strut. But hadn't STOMP stolen the Wand of the North Wind from them after being beaten to its discovery and rightful claim? And been prepared to destroy it afterward if it seemed too dangerous?

"COIN are our rivals," she said, slowly. "They're businessponies and -" she thought of Bottle Wary - "misfit researchers along with some hired backs. They don't care about archeology at all except for the money they can make from it - classic tomb raiders, I suppose." She shook her head. She couldn't quite quite shake the image of Night Cap and Bottle Wary's conversation and the thought that they could just as easily have met from opposite sides. "It's not really important what kind of ponies they are," she said, shaking her head and speaking as if reassuring herself. "They could hurt ponies and damage research tonight if we don't stop them."

She paced uneasily. She thought of Rhapsody's disdain for COIN, and in a strange way, it reassured her.

"At least there's something we all agree on," she said. "Nopony benefits at all if these artifacts end up being abused to the ruin of Equestria."

The earliest IC post I've found so far that happened to be quoted later:

The stallion glared at Night Cap's attack, only for he and several of the COIN team to be bowled over by a gust from the wand. The pegasus snarked at this, "I know you pride yourself for 'earth pony hardiness' and all that but you really should wear a jacket like the rest of us. Or a scarf at the very least. Last I checked, monocles don't keep you warm." With a playful midair somersault, she rained a bevy of lightning bolts indiscriminately upon those below her.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The foals

The foals crowed closer to Night Cap and the colt asked, "Mister Night Cap, if you're too hurt to help the others, how come you're not in the hospital?"

[...]

"Dude, they put you with the foals?" It seemed that Stumped Ivy and Summery Flutters were finished with their contributions and had decided to meet Night Cap in the safe zone. "We've got a long trip ahead of us so we wanted to make sure you were paid before we left. As far as your services, thank you for your...you. Farewell." Summery Flutters handed Night Cap a hefty bag of bits then briefly waved goodbye before picking her brother up and flying away. Several of the foals stared at the bag.

"Mister Night Cap, are you a pirate?"

A tired looking mare ran up to Night Cap carrying a notepad, "I was trying to get this to Summery Flutters or Stumped Ivy since it looks like they dropped it. Looks like I just missed them but if you catch up, could you give it to them?"

Try and try and try as he might, for all the effort Night Cap put in, he simply couldn't catch up to Summery Flutters and Stumped Ivy as they traveled northward. Now he had an abandoned notebook and a steep hill to scale down. Meanwhile, the mayor gave Willow Wisp her payment. After the mayor left, Veldfire Green pulled Willow Wisp aside, "This means a lot to me. Years ago, my younger brother got trapped in a vildfire. Thankfully, ve managed to get him to safety before he vas seriously injured but it still took it's toll. He's the only adult in the town who didn't participate today. He's too terrified. Mere candles fill him vith fear. I understand that brushfire is a natural part of the area but I didn't vant anypony else to risk getting hurt. Villow Visp, vhat vould you do to protect those you love? Me? I vould give the whole vorld." After a pause, she shook her head and chuckled, "Here I am, laying all my burdens on you. Sorry about that. Besides, vhat am I rambling on about? My friends and family vould never profit from the end of the vorld. Once again, thank you for helping this community."

Night Cap struggled to scale down the side of the hill. Precariously steep and adorned by various brambles, it was a rather dangerous and uncomfortable descent. Above him, he could hear the cries for 'Mister Night Cap' to come back or that perhaps the fire lady could help him.

As Night Cap managed to make it back up to the top, several foals crowded around him wondering why he tried to climb down if he was too hurt to help out.

"Where did you think you were Mister Night Cap?"

"What's a tavern?"

The foals stared at Night Cap in confusion.

Veldfire Green smiled and waved at the departing Willow Wisp, "I certainly vill!" Meanwhile, the numerous foals that surrounded Night Cap prepared to reply to his question and ask several of their own until they became distracted by the sight of the 'Fire Lady' who they happily cheered and waved to overhead.

Willow Wisp really needed to get going, but she couldn't ignore that kid screaming for hel- Oh, that was Night Cap. She swept downwards and landed quietly.

"Greetings, children." She said, almost leaving it at that, "And Night Cap."

Night Cap looked like he was about to pop, and the last thing Willow Wisp needed to deal with was a stallion with an aneurysm.

"Night Cap, I need to return home quickly," Willow Wisp said, "But, I can fly you down to the base of the hill."

Willow Wisp flew Night Cap down to the bottom of the hill as the foals waved their farewells.

Shadewing

Citizen
Reading through all this just makes me want to get Nighthaze off the ground even more and annoyed that I currently can't.

Top Bottom