Star Trek: The Original Series and The Next Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I would say that Gates McFadden felt it was beneath her, hence not using her real name, which is Cheryl Gates McFadden.

Well, I would imagine attending Sci-fi conventions and participating in Star Trek documentaries would be even more beneath them, but I suspect they realize how much money is in it for them. I think Star Trek: The Next Generation is all Denise Crosby and Gates McFadden are known for.

So if they still disdain Star Trek, they are pretty much prostituting themselves by making a living going to these conventions and appearing in these documentaries.

Or they’re still using Star Trek, hoping to get something better, a big break more suitable for someone of their high acting pedigree.

wentwood

Citizen
Star Trek - Stardate Collection

The DVD has the same menu design as the Blu Ray. I saw a Blu Ray vid on You Tube.

The Captain's Summit and Evolutions are not on the DVD set.

What was also idiotic was a clip I saw of TOS.

On the Blu Ray why are there bars on all 4 sides?

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Reminder that Denise Crosby is also Sela, who made several appearances in TNG. And who also was one of the MAJOR figures affecting events in Star trek Online for quite a few years, between the Romulan faction storyline and the Iconian war. She's even showed up a few times since, like when she calls in some sort of favor with the Dominion to help stop the Hurq attack on Bajor and DS9 - and Denise Crosby voiced every one of those appearances.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Has Denise Crosby expressed any remorse or regret about abandoning her starring Head of Security role on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

She could have been a much bigger star, a household name in that groundbreaking role as a female head of security over Worf if she just would have stuck it out.

Instead, all I’ve heard her really being in were made-for-tv movies.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I’m beginning to like Marina Sirtis. She seems to genuinely take pride in Star Trek: The Next Generation.

She seems very passionate:

You can tell she loves and appreciates her role in Star Trek.

I didn’t know she was English. She used a weird accent in the show.

wentwood

Citizen
I managed to finish Picard which ended decently enough. The thing is maybe they need to try to do more new shows like Discovery and Strange New Worlds.

As for the movies watching The Search For Spock.

All the movies for Star Trek aren't on Paramount + and those are the ones I own on DVD. (This confirmed by Trek Movie Web)

Last edited:

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, I would imagine attending Sci-fi conventions and participating in Star Trek documentaries would be even more beneath them, but I suspect they realize how much money is in it for them. I think Star Trek: The Next Generation is all Denise Crosby and Gates McFadden are known for.

So if they still disdain Star Trek, they are pretty much prostituting themselves by making a living going to these conventions and appearing in these documentaries.

Or they’re still using Star Trek, hoping to get something better, a big break more suitable for someone of their high acting pedigree.
Well, she chose to do that at the start of the first season as she was a well known theater actress at the time and wasn't sure if this show was just going to be some cheezy sci fi show or something to be proud of.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Why did the Wrath of Khan somehow seem higher quality than the rest of the Star Trek movies. Was it the writing, directing, higher budget, production, actors/acting. I can’t seem to put my finger on it:

and why didn’t the director of this movie go on to direct the rest of the Star Trek movies. What was the magic formula elixir that made this particular Star Trek movie work and fire on all cylinders?

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
There's at least 7 Star Trek threads here (this one, academy, Picard, strange new worlds, discovery, lower decks, I count Orville) so I'll just post about Deep Space 9 here as I run through the show.

I'm at ep4 so far and Babylon has been the best episode so far. So tense!

Quark was the character I keep seeing referenced a lot as greedy and underhanded but it's only now that I found out that he has a son. And it's so weird to know that he is a leery leche too. I thought he was just money obsessed.

I asked my friend if there was a robot representation in the show and he said Odo is the closest. Yup, so far, Odo is my fave character.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I asked my friend if there was a robot representation in the show and he said Odo is the closest. Yup, so far, Odo is my fave character.
In later seasons, there will be a hologram added to the recurring cast, but he isn't used to explore synthetic rights as Voyager's EMH will be.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Ooooh a Holo! Yeah, I remember Voyager's doctor Holo. Maybe I'll like this new one.

I'm at ep6 and I didn't know Q was around here. Was he around in Voyager too?

Aaaand it's been six eps and I'm raising my eyebrow at all the sexual (chauvinistic?) parts where Bashir and Quark and even Sisko (sorta) are leering at ladies. What the hex, dudes? Was Next Gen like this? I've heard of Riker's reputation.

I'm a bit aghast to find that Q is doing this behavior with this archeologist Vash. And she apparently was with Picard too? Q being sexualized slightly weirds me out (cuz he's My Little Pony Discord, haha)

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ooooh a Holo! Yeah, I remember Voyager's doctor Holo. Maybe I'll like this new one.

I'm at ep6 and I didn't know Q was around here. Was he around in Voyager too?

Aaaand it's been six eps and I'm raising my eyebrow at all the sexual (chauvinistic?) parts where Bashir and Quark and even Sisko (sorta) are leering at ladies. What the hex, dudes? Was Next Gen like this? I've heard of Riker's reputation.

I'm a bit aghast to find that Q is doing this behavior with this archeologist Vash. And she apparently was with Picard too? Q being sexualized slightly weirds me out (cuz he's My Little Pony Discord, haha)
You might want to pay more attention to the shows. :) Quark doesn't have a son, he has a nephew, Nog, who father is Quark's little brother Rom.

The hologram is a recurring character in later seasons, and is pretty likeable, but he doesn't get nearly as much screen time as the Doctor did in Voyager.

Q is in one episode of DS9 but in at least three Voyager episodes. He makes a much bigger impact in that show than he does on DS9. The one episode from DS9 is a continuation of the then last episode of Q's on TNG. The TNG episode is where Q is trying to think of a way to thank Picard for helping Q get his powers back in a previous episode. Q eventually puts the crew and the visiting Vash(Picard's love interest and fellow archeologist/looter) into a simulated world of Robin Hood. Apparently Q needed to teach Picard that he has a weakness for women or something. Its not the best Q episode. Anyways, after that is all done, Vash goes with Q on an adventure around the galaxy, plundering ancient civilizations. That is when the DS9 Q episode takes place after Vash gets bored of it.

Bashir is pretty much the horny young doctor for the first few seasons. Sisko may make a few comments here and there among the guys, but he keeps it professional for the most part.

As for Q being Sexualized:

Start at the 40 second mark of that blooper reel.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I think the reason why the Wrath of Khan ended up being the best is because they were able to get Ricardo Montalban to come back to reprise his role. Having an actor of his caliber in the movie makes everyone care more and work harder to put out a better product.

Likewise, I would say Star Trek: Generations is the most memorable of the Next Generation films because they brought in William Shatner, the biggest name in Star Trek, and Malcolm McDowell as the main villain.

Having huge, legendary actors like Ricardo Montalban and Malcolm McDowell as the main antagonists gives the Star Trek movies more credibility, making mainstream moviegoers excited and go, “Oh yeah! It’s on now. For sho! Let’s get it on! “

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think the reason why the Wrath of Khan ended up being the best is because they were able to get Ricardo Montalban to come back to reprise his role. Having an actor of his caliber in the movie makes everyone care more and work harder to put out a better product.

Likewise, I would say Star Trek: Generations is the most memorable of the Next Generation films because they brought in William Shatner, the biggest name in Star Trek, and Malcolm McDowell as the main villain.

Having huge, legendary actors like Ricardo Montalban and Malcolm McDowell as the main antagonists gives the Star Trek movies more credibility, making mainstream moviegoers excited and go, “Oh yeah! It’s on now. For sho! Let’s get it on! “

Wrath of Khan was the best because they had a writer and director that went back and studied the TOS series and wrote a great script for it. They convinced Nimoy to come back by promising him the greatest death scene of all time, as Nimoy had soured on the character after the ordeals of the first film. He later enjoyed his time on the sequel that he regretted this choice, as did the studio, which made them do the impromptu Remember from Spock to Mccoy. He convinced Montalban to come back because and I quote, "Whenever I wasn't on screen, the characters were all talking about me." It was a very prominent role and he rocked it. Without Nicholas Meyer and Harvey Bennett writing and directing, without Montalban giving an epic performance, and without Spock's iconic sacrifice, the film would not have been the epic film it turned out to be.

I don't know about Generations being the best TNG film. James Cromwell and Alfie Woodard do a great job supplementing the already great cast in First Contact, which has a much better space battle than Generations. And Alice Krige does a perfect job as the Borg queen. There is much more at stake in First Contact than Generations. HWile both are good films, I am giving First Contact the win by a wide margin.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
You might want to pay more attention to the shows. :) Quark doesn't have a son, he has a nephew, Nog, who father is Quark's little brother Rom.

The hologram is a recurring character in later seasons, and is pretty likeable, but he doesn't get nearly as much screen time as the Doctor did in Voyager.

Q is in one episode of DS9 but in at least three Voyager episodes. He makes a much bigger impact in that show than he does on DS9. The one episode from DS9 is a continuation of the then last episode of Q's on TNG. The TNG episode is where Q is trying to think of a way to thank Picard for helping Q get his powers back in a previous episode. Q eventually puts the crew and the visiting Vash(Picard's love interest and fellow archeologist/looter) into a simulated world of Robin Hood. Apparently Q needed to teach Picard that he has a weakness for women or something. Its not the best Q episode. Anyways, after that is all done, Vash goes with Q on an adventure around the galaxy, plundering ancient civilizations. That is when the DS9 Q episode takes place after Vash gets bored of it.

Bashir is pretty much the horny young doctor for the first few seasons. Sisko may make a few comments here and there among the guys, but he keeps it professional for the most part.

As for Q being Sexualized:

Start at the 40 second mark of that blooper reel.
Yeeeeah, I'm on ep10 (The Nagus) and Nog is Quark's nephew, right. My bad, whoops.

Ah yes, during the Q ep, they did mention Sherwood forest somewhere. But if this is the last Q ep, then I probably won't bump into any more references. Thanks for the info!

Oh, there was that archeologist lady that Mariner hung out with in the last ep of Lower Decks and there was something about Picard financing her take and return artifacts something or another.

Ravish me, hahaha

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, Q doesn't show up again until Voyager. I will say that Q's best episodes were probably Voyagers. And that is coming ftom someone that loves his TNG episodes.

Oh, there was that archeologist lady that Mariner hung out with in the last ep of Lower Decks and there was something about Picard financing her take and return artifacts something or another.

Yup, but she is a new character, not the same as Vash, though perhaps based on her.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Wrath of Khan was the best because they had a writer and director that went back and studied the TOS series and wrote a great script for it. They convinced Nimoy to come back by promising him the greatest death scene of all time, as Nimoy had soured on the character after the ordeals of the first film. He later enjoyed his time on the sequel that he regretted this choice, as did the studio, which made them do the impromptu Remember from Spock to Mccoy. He convinced Montalban to come back because and I quote, "Whenever I wasn't on screen, the characters were all talking about me." It was a very prominent role and he rocked it. Without Nicholas Meyer and Harvey Bennett writing and directing, without Montalban giving an epic performance, and without Spock's iconic sacrifice, the film would not have been the epic film it turned out to be.

I don't know about Generations being the best TNG film. James Cromwell and Alfie Woodard do a great job supplementing the already great cast in First Contact, which has a much better space battle than Generations. And Alice Krige does a perfect job as the Borg queen. There is much more at stake in First Contact than Generations. HWile both are good films, I am giving First Contact the win by a wide margin.

I agree. First Contact is better than Generations.

Generations was just more “memorable” to me because it was something new. It felt new. The Enterprise going down, falling apart, crash landing was a very suspenseful, emotional, and epic scene.

First Contact because it was the Borg felt like it was continuing on and building upon the Next Gen TV show Borg episodes so it felt very familiar to me. It awakened the Borg fanboy in me for that story arc, but I kinda knew what to expect and how the plot was roughly going to play out because I watched the next gen tv show.

Yes, Khan was in the old original series tv show, but he was in only one episode, and it was pretty much a one-off episode at that. And it was kind of resolved at the end with Khan being given his own planet to rule with one of Kirk’s crew as his wife and queen, and they lived happily ever after. So I did not expect him to ever come back or to ever see or hear from him again.

So while First Contact is the better movie, Generations had more anticipation being the first, and it somehow felt more fresh and original with a villain we’ve never seen before played by Malcolm McDowell of Clockwork Orange fame. And we got to see Captain Kirk with Captain Picard, something I thought was impossible and that we’d never see.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
What always irked me was that Picard never told Kirk that he knew Spock. Like "Hey, i met Sarek and Spock, mind melded with both of them.".

Kup

Citizen
What always irked me was that Picard never told Kirk that he knew Spock. Like "Hey, i met Sarek and Spock, mind melded with both of them.".
Yeah I remember thinking that too, but Kirk and Picard were *literally* friends for like an hour, with like half of that time spent convincing Kirk to come out of Neverland.

Maybe they’ll cover that plot point in Legacy with Project Phoenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom