Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Strange New Worlds season 2 will feature a crossover from Lower Decks!!!!! Holy Great Bird of the Galaxy!!!!!!!!!!

I've been away for a bit and missed this until Kalidor mentioned it in another thread. It breaks my brain, but I love it. This gives me vibes of the time Steven Universe crossed over with Uncle Grandpa, characters insisted it wasn't canon, and also a major plot point of the SU arc happened there.

The biggest thing that the latter half of SNW S1 really drove home for me, aside from delivering a right banger a week with at most one exception and giving us space pirate Abigail Thorne besides, was its versatility. Once they'd had a few episodes to establish a status quo, it seemed like each new episode was going to dip its toes into another genre completely, from suspense to comedy to war fiction to whatever form of stage acting presentation The Elysian Kingdom was. I don't know how SNW is going to meet LD, but the one thing I can't wait to see is which persona it's going to be wearing when it does, whether it'll be playing the straight-laced straightman to antics from another timeline, turn into an early episode of The Orville for an episode to meet LD where it is, or something I can't guess yet.

wentwood

Citizen
Have any of you guys seen the Chris Pike series? I like it so far and they're on Series II this year with a Lower Decks cross over coming.

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it to you yet, @wentwood , but it's generally best to make sure a thread doesn't already exist for the topic you want to discuss. We have a very handy Search function available for you to use.

That said, we already have a Star Trek: Strange New Worlds thread...

Axaday

Citizen
I have been musing about Strange New Worlds with my brother this afternoon. Some of this is me and some is him.

I am frustrated a bit by how hard they leaned on legacy and legacy-connected characters in the cast and I've talked about that before, but where a legacy character really belongs is on the list of cadets that Pike will save. Chekhov would be too on-the-nose (and that probably makes him likely...), but Saavik would really hit the spot, I think, unless she is too young. Someone that mattered, but please not a main character. And I think Riker's grandpa would be corny too.

I read a while back that the producers told Rebecca Romijn that they wouldn't be sticking her in a miniskirt and she told them to do it, but change what it means. They have a few different girl uniforms and that way it isn't what Starfleet sticks girls in. It is just one of their options. And it might make a funny explanation for why Kirk's crew a few years later is so male. He may have a strict no-pants policy and a bad reputation that keeps girls from signing on under his command.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So here's the Season 2 teaser trailer. I have to admit I'm not super excited about what they're showing.

And while these Klingons look better than the garbage they shat out with Discovery, they just can't help themselves by ignoring established canon and aesthetics. The TOS Klingons looked a certain way. This was established canon across decades of official content (DS9;ENT).

It's like they sit around in meetings and say "Okay, how about we revisit the past fans all know and love but totally change everything about it. Surely THIS TIME everyone will love it! Not like all those other times we went out of our way to make it different and mean old fans didn't like it..."

I mean for real. Yes, as a fan I've learned to just suck it up and take it. The foam ridged Party City Klingons in the trailer look better than the Discovery Klingons... but seriously. This show needs to start following the lead of Terry Matalas who actually knows, understands and respects the lore enough to integrate past visual canon in a meaningful way. (I also know that this was done long before Picard S3 was out)

FuFwthDWAAYj5Vq.jpg

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I don't see anything to feel one way or the other on in that teaser, nothing in the least bit surprising. But Chapel is totally rocking that outfit at 0:35.

The TOS Klingons have an established look in the TOS movies, which was a retcon of their appearance in TO actual S. Anything else is a joke from an episode of Deep Space 9.

If this season of SNW is nothing but the good feels of comfort food Trek that teaser was, I'm honestly not going to complain.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I do agree that the trailer did feel a bit lackluster. It really feels like a bunch of stuff happening. The music choice really didn't help matters either. It would have been fine as a pure instrumental piece.

I'm kinda worried that the Number One storyline from the S1 finale will be dealt with offscreen in that IDW miniseries that, I think, hasn't concluded yet.

The Klingon stuff doesn't bother me since the TMP design was how all Klingons were supposed to look in the first place (I'd argue it was ENT that made the whole thing worse, Worf's offhand comment in DS9 is fine). Also TOS should really just be treated as a series of concepts as opposed to something to be firmly adhered to, so redesigns are things I don't really mind as long as they get the point across and are faithful to the general ideas.

SNW S1 was such an pleasantly unexpected surprise, and I do hope it keeps up for S2.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't see anything to feel one way or the other on in that teaser, nothing in the least bit surprising. But Chapel is totally rocking that outfit at 0:35.

The TOS Klingons have an established look in the TOS movies, which was a retcon of their appearance in TO actual S. Anything else is a joke from an episode of Deep Space 9.

If this season of SNW is nothing but the good feels of comfort food Trek that teaser was, I'm honestly not going to complain.
Not everyone agrees with it but it was canonized in Enterprise.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Like I said though, what they have is fine. They gave us "real Klingons"

I just think it would have been neat if they gave us the TOS Klingons with maybe less pronounced ridges. Maybe a middle ground to the fully ridged Klingons we saw in TMP/TNG era and beyond. Something like how General Chang looked but for the majority of the ones we see in this era but with the hair. Then you could say "Oh yeah, they've always looked that that you just didn't notice because of the hair" or something.

Star-Trek-VI-The-Undiscovered-Country-1991-15.jpg

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I'm kinda worried that the Number One storyline from the S1 finale will be dealt with offscreen in that IDW miniseries that, I think, hasn't concluded yet.
Oof, I hope not. They built to that a fair bit through S1 and pulled a classic TNG season cliffhanger. If they spent all that on a cross-media gimmick thing and I have to hunt down comic books I'm going to be very disappointed.

Edit:
The Klingon stuff doesn't bother me since the TMP design was how all Klingons were supposed to look in the first place (I'd argue it was ENT that made the whole thing worse, Worf's offhand comment in DS9 is fine). Also TOS should really just be treated as a series of concepts as opposed to something to be firmly adhered to, so redesigns are things I don't really mind as long as they get the point across and are faithful to the general ideas.
Yeah but I feel the same for Enterprise, so these interpretations differ

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I really don't mind Enterprise's explanation of the whole Klingon ridges thing, so this doesn't bother me. At this point in the timeline both types of Klingons exist. And let's be fair, we didn't exactly see a whole lot of different Klingons during the 3 season run of TOS. They appeared 7 times out of 79 episodes, and though I'd have to look it up my distant memory is telling me that at least 2 of those encounters were with the same Klingon Captain/ship/crew... one of Dax's aged buddies who later appeared on DS9.

This new preview is getting me pumped for more new Trek, after S3 of Picard.

Looks like the crew is going to be getting decked out in Canadian Roots clothes for some time travel shenanigans. It'll be interesting to see SNW characters actually walking around Toronto.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Well, depending on how you look at the inflection point between the Prime timeline and the Kelvin timeline, Kirk was likely born on a ship in space.

(Or is it generally assumed that the Narada affected the timeline in both directions from where it came in?)

Dake

Citizen
Oh yeah. One more mention of something that annoyed me... Kirk isn't "from space". He's from Iowa. He just works in space.
Yeah, that was weird.

Well, depending on how you look at the inflection point between the Prime timeline and the Kelvin timeline, Kirk was likely born on a ship in space.

They've stated unequivocally these shows are in the "Prime" timeline.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
No, no, I'm not questioning that. I thought that the Prime and Kelvin timelines diverged at the point where the Narada shows up and wrecks the USS Kelvin, and in the Prime timeline, the ship carried on as normal and Kirk would have just been born onboard without anything remarkable happening, thereby technically making him "from space".

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You're correct. And if this was in the Kelvin timeline that would be applicable. But since this is the "prime" timeline Kirk wouldn't have been born in space because that was the divergance as you said.

I have given a few hand waves to certain changes though because in reality, since First Contact, everything that's ever happened from our point of view has been in a timeline that was created when the borg visited the 21st century. As evidenced by Enterprise. Not everything have a huge change but little subtle changes here and there would lead to different tech and a few different choices. Meaning the Captain Kirk we saw in TOS is in a timeline where the borg didn't go back in time, as was the case of every other series UNTIL First Contact.

I'd get more into it but Janeway told me to shut up about it.

Top Bottom