Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Vulcans probably have very clinical and thorough sex education, so there's a lot less reason to be shocked by the body differences. "Ah, I will need to apply alternate methods of using excretory facilities, as covered during my third year of school."

---Dave
Funny you should bring that up in light of T'Pring's reading list in Episode 7, eh? :D

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
That was definitely the silliest, campiest episode so far, which is quite an achievement considering they already did a body-swap plot.

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
The end reveal just... I'm... ****... people calling this the campiest episode and it's totally fitting because...

So, like, that was Sybok? Trying to steal the Enterprise? And all I can think... the only thing on my mind is: For what? For what? Why did Sybok want the Enterprise?! TELL ME! WRITERS! What does Spock's half-brother who rejects emotion want with the Enterprise? Did he want to take it somewhere? To meet someone maybe? WHAT DID WE ALMOST HAVE?!

In summery: What does Sybok need with a starship?

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I thought Captain Angel said that the Enterprise wasn't really the goal, but it was Spock in order to facilitate the trade for Sybok.

I'd figure the two of them would just take off in that little bug ship once they were reunited.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I’m just wishing for something original plot wise or something that isn’t seen a mile away. The mid episode reveal was so obvious it hurt.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This episode went a notch down since last week but you can only rise so high before needing to take a break. It was still a good episode but it wasn't something I was super excited about. The whole side plot with the pirates on the ship between the chilli making and the sowing dissent was just a bit too campy for my liking.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
The end reveal just... I'm... ****... people calling this the campiest episode and it's totally fitting because...

So, like, that was Sybok? Trying to steal the Enterprise? And all I can think... the only thing on my mind is: For what? For what? Why did Sybok want the Enterprise?! TELL ME! WRITERS! What does Spock's half-brother who rejects emotion want with the Enterprise? Did he want to take it somewhere? To meet someone maybe? WHAT DID WE ALMOST HAVE?!

In summery: What does Sybok need with a starship?
Sybok had no interest in the Enterprise whatsoever. His wife was simply trying to use the Enterprise as the means to get him out of prison.

Seriously. No need to rant about this. Even less to make the lame STV reference.

Lobjob

Citizen
The reasons may be different, but each week I thoroughly enjoy myself. What a great show.

The Doctor Who

Citizen
Sybok had no interest in the Enterprise whatsoever. His wife was simply trying to use the Enterprise as the means to get him out of prison.

Seriously. No need to rant about this. Even less to make the lame STV reference.
Oh, sorry, got caught up having fun there. So, where do I find the Strange New Worlds Approved Reference Guidelines? Is it in a public location or do I need to remove the stick from your ass to find it?

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Im loving this series so far and thought this was another fun episode. TO ME, when you look back at TOS and see some of the absolute cringe that takes place with it, I feel as if they are trying to keep that going with this, just with a more modern look.

The security officer being a relative of Kahn feels unnecessary.

I liked the Sybok tie in.

Now Im just curious to see when we start getting more of TOS characters tossed into the mix. I have done very little research into, but from what Ive gathered we will get next season? I almost thought when the navigator got tapped out and they said Lt somebody it was going to takeover he said Sulu.

I also thought the pilot of TOS showed Capt Pike meeting his doom but that didnt man out. But apparently there is a 2 part episode later in the season that mashes that footage with new footage. I have not watched it yet, but is that when Kirk takes over?

The Doctor Who

Citizen
Im loving this series so far and thought this was another fun episode. TO ME, when you look back at TOS and see some of the absolute cringe that takes place with it, I feel as if they are trying to keep that going with this, just with a more modern look.

The security officer being a relative of Kahn feels unnecessary.

I liked the Sybok tie in.

Now Im just curious to see when we start getting more of TOS characters tossed into the mix. I have done very little research into, but from what Ive gathered we will get next season? I almost thought when the navigator got tapped out and they said Lt somebody it was going to takeover he said Sulu.

I also thought the pilot of TOS showed Capt Pike meeting his doom but that didnt man out. But apparently there is a 2 part episode later in the season that mashes that footage with new footage. I have not watched it yet, but is that when Kirk takes over?
No, Kirk's already in command by that point.

As far as I recall, the chronology of Pike's accident in The Menagerie is pretty vague. All we know is that, at some point Spock finds out that Pike is confined to a wheelchair and that the aliens from that world are willing to give him an illusion of a normal life to ease his suffering.

Spock hijacks the Enterprise and forces them to travel to the planet (which is normally forbidden under pain of death) and the trial takes place en route. That's where we get clips from the pilot and the back story that explains Spock's actions.

Of course, we don't know how loose this iteration is going to play with the continuity, so who knows. But they've been pretty faithful in broad strokes so I think it's probably safe to assume that Pike will be handing over the Enterprise without incident.

Last edited:

Cybersnark

Citizen
Yeah, "The Cage" (in which Pike visits Talos IV) was intended to be the first episode, but the network didn't like it and sent in notes (notably forcing a choice between "the alien" or "the woman," but not both). Normally at this point, the original pilot would've been scrapped, becoming nothing more than a bit of trivia (there are countless "lost pilots" drifting around Hollywood in private collections).

However, Jeffrey Hunter (Capt. Pike) and John Hoyt (Dr. Boyce) had become unavailable, so Roddenberry decided that, rather than re-cast, he'd just replace them with different characters (essentially just doing a name-swap; Kirk and Bones ended up with essentially the same personalities and relationship Pike and Boyce were intended to have in the series going forward). This meant that Roddenberry could later re-use clips from "The Cage" in a new episode ("The Menagerie," establishing Pike as the previous captain), thereby saving money.

Cybersnark

Citizen
"The Cage" is basically what the writers are citing for why Pike is so upbeat and cheerful when we see him in Discovery (when Hunter's version was battling nihilism and planning to resign from Starfleet) --his experiences on Talos IV were always intended to give him a new lease on life, we-the-audience just never got to see it.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
"The Cage" is basically what the writers are citing for why Pike is so upbeat and cheerful when we see him in Discovery (when Hunter's version was battling nihilism and planning to resign from Starfleet) --his experiences on Talos IV were always intended to give him a new lease on life, we-the-audience just never got to see it.
Is discovery worth watching? I had a hard time getting through season 1. Now that the newest seasons involve time travel it’s gotten even more strange.

The Doctor Who

Citizen
It really depends on how you feel about Michael Burnham. She's, like, the central figure in the show and a lot revolves around her and her relationship with Spock. Especially early on.

Personally, I found it incredibly exhausting and while I've heard it gets better after the time jump I'm... Honestly not interested. Like, we have SNW now, so it seems kinda pointless.

Top Bottom