Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Man, this show continues to impress me week after week.

I loved it when Spock punched the rogue Vulcan.

Dake

Citizen
This was an impressive episode. You see the end coming, but I was really curious how it would go from the Starfleet perspective.

Dvandom

Citizen
I'd summarize the Le Guin story, but it's basically a description of a less high-tech society that runs the same as in this week's SNW, down to the terrible secret. Although,
in Omelas, apparently no one ever tries to save the child, people just walk away if they decide they can't handle the ethical issues.

---Dave

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I'd summarize the Le Guin story, but it's basically a description of a less high-tech society that runs the same as in this week's SNW, down to the terrible secret. Although,
in Omelas, apparently no one ever tries to save the child, people just walk away if they decide they can't handle the ethical issues.

---Dave

It seems weird that their society didn't just opt to leave the planet and live elsewhere, unless that "other colony" was full of people who did exactly that? Perhaps they left their perfectly manufacturered world and then had to deal with the fact that they, as a people, knew sod-all technologically and had to start from scratch? Almost like some of the Eloi moving away to a new land and starting from scratch to avoid the reliance on the Morlocks?

MrBlud

Citizen
Yeah, this was a very classic Star Trek episode but I felt like the writing let it down in a few places.

The child’s consent was very much of the “well he didn’t say no!” instead of an empathic yes. That STILL wouldnt have counted since they aren’t an adult but it would’ve twisted the knife a bit more rather than Alora (over the child) saying he does indeed want this.

Her trying to have the moral high ground asking if the Federation was leaving weak and vulnerable members helpless so they can concentrate on the rich? NO! I can say that doesn’t ******* happen. Hasn’t for centuries! but Pike just leaves that without any pushback. Plus hey, he’s doesn’t have any legal jurisdiction but telling the Universe they brutalize a child can sure cut down on trade.

I wasn’t sure I understood the medical situation either. The caregiver said they totally could cure M’Bengas daughter yet at the end they were “starting” on a cure? Maybe they can’t because the tech is only on Majalis?

And just leave the ******* planet if you have to kill a ******* child to live there! The colony seems to be doing fine in comparison.

Wonderful contrast between Pike and Kirk’s command style too. Pike ended the episode staring out the window in introspection. Kirk would’ve unplugged the ******* machine. It could’ve killed the child, cast the Majalian cities into the rivers of lava, but it was wrong and he 100% wasn’t going to let it continue.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Yeah, this was a very classic Star Trek episode but I felt like the writing let it down in a few places.

The child’s consent was very much of the “well he didn’t say no!” instead of an empathic yes. That STILL wouldnt have counted since they aren’t an adult but it would’ve twisted the knife a bit more rather than Alora (over the child) saying he does indeed want this.

(snip)

Wonderful contrast between Pike and Kirk’s command style too. Pike ended the episode staring out the window in introspection. Kirk would’ve unplugged the ******* machine. It could’ve killed the child, cast the Majalian cities into the rivers of lava, but it was wrong and he 100% wasn’t going to let it continue.
This child's consent... until about half a minute before he was plugged in, it was indeed an emphatic yes. Things did start to turn when he saw the desiccated corpse, and there is a thing about consent being something that should be able to be revoked at any time....

As to the comparison to Kirk, I don't disagree about who would have done what, but I 100% disagree with anyone who would suggest that this makes Kirk superior (not saying you've made this assertion).

MrBlud

Citizen
True, but having him writhing in pain in the chair and still saying he wants this would’ve hit different.

I think each approach has its pluses and minuses. Me and a friend were discussing how each Captain would’ve handled it and decided that Kirk and Sisko were probably the only ones that would’ve unplugged it. Maybe Burnham too

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
True, but having him writhing in pain in the chair and still saying he wants this would’ve hit different.

I think each approach has its pluses and minuses. Me and a friend were discussing how each Captain would’ve handled it and decided that Kirk and Sisko were probably the only ones that would’ve unplugged it. Maybe Burnham too
Oh, and we're not even dealing with the idea of whether a child can even give informed consent....

As to the other thing, I'm pretty anti-Kirk to start with, so you kind of have to take my bias into account....

Lobjob

Citizen
Yeah, the only critique I'll give is that Pike should have countered the assessment of the Federation. He's referenced Earth's history before, so comparing and contrasing the Federation's enlightened values to ancient Earth's and this world's seemed right there. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, though. He was too pissed for eloquence, along with being blindsided by the whiplash of emotions he was feeling towards Alora.

But as you guys have said, this was legitimately a classic Star Trek episode and I'm so happy we're finally here.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Just caught up on episodes 4-6.

Man 4 and 6 really just WENT for it. Bam suddenly Gorn. Full on threat, high stakes for the entire episode. We kinda knew who wasn't going to die already because you know... ToS but still. Great ep. Few idiots on twitter complaining that the episode condoned racist ways of thinking because Pike never reakky pushed back on the idea that ALL Gorn were merciless hunters and murders but twitter idiots will always exist.

Episode 6 on the other hand damn. Straight up showed us a withed ass body of a kid and then showed us a new kid getting plugged in for a life of misery. Pike really should have seen a lot of red flags, like a LOT of red flags, before it got to that point but that was probably why they made part of the story him being infatuated with her. Alora is super hateable by the end of this. Like she makes so little effort or understanding of how messed up all this is. Brushes it off as "Well we tried finding other ways but couldn't so" as if there wasn't every opportunity to move and take all their super tech with them. When asked if the kid would suffer just a yes, not even a "Yes but we do everything we can to try and minimize it" The child really is just a thing to be used to them despite their pretty words about living for them.

Episode 5? Not quite the high stakes banger but still good. Little corny maybe doing a freaky friday episode in star trek? But it works when its vulcans. Plenty of weird mind stuff they already are known for doing and the stiff logical business only lets them slide away from the normal "oh shit I have boobs now! Nice!" kinda thing. Fun all around and Chapel was a delight.

I think I've said it before but I'm loving that were getting actual Star Trek again. Wish it was the norm instead of a refreshing return.

Dvandom

Citizen
Vulcans probably have very clinical and thorough sex education, so there's a lot less reason to be shocked by the body differences. "Ah, I will need to apply alternate methods of using excretory facilities, as covered during my third year of school."

---Dave

Kup

Citizen
Episode 6, man. As a father, that one hit so many notes. Also, while I usually see a plot twist coming a mile away, I did not catch that

Ascend = Dead

Whereas my wife (and Trek Culture) both said they knew it immediately.

5 was hilarious. Kinda wish I'd watched these in opposite order last night (we were 2 weeks behind).

Top Bottom