Star Trek: Prodigy, Season 2 not coming to Paramount+?

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
The website indicates that it will be available for purchase in various forms... but I literally pay for a streaming service so I don't have to buy DVDs. I'm hoping crave will pick it up, as they seem to be the home of trek in canada.

Thefakelink

Citizen
Not anymore. Everything but SNW has been removed from Crave. Star Trek lives on Paramount Plus now. My guess is Prodigy will end up there.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Prodigy lived there for its entire life until it was evicted a month ago because someone thought the tax writeoff and pinching off residuals on the one show that wasn't really making its ROI was better business than continuing to be the archive of all things Trek. One presumes the Star Trek wing failed to convince Paramount proper that the very franchise that justifies the entire platform's existence gets to eat free under its own roof even when its little side projects aren't making bank. By all appearances, a month ago, and while they were already wrapping postproduction on S2, is also when the Prodigy team actually found out.

In short, Paramount Plus is already owning itself so hard with this decision that I won't even be surprised if they send the show direct to home media out of spite. The Prodigy folks releasing a trailer now without any service to mention where viewers might actually expect to see it is basically counteradvertising against PP.

If there's justice in the world, Prodigy will simply get picked up by another service that, unlike Paramount, will actually support it enough to get some eyeballs on it so somebody gets paid. But Paramount already made its decision to jump onto a bandwagon of streaming services that were already getting significant flack for delisting their own content before Paramount hopped on. What are they going to do, throw up S2 by itself for a week and then delist it again? I'd love to see them falter in their determination to fail at their one job, but I'd have to understand the mind of the executive who decided to drop Prodigy like a week after they finally got rights to run all the TOS movies, which is to say, a drooling imbecile with some serious cojones.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
For most of its life, Paramount Plus Canada was a very different animal than its US counterpart. Netflix Canada retains the streaming rights to TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, and ENT, even now. Paramount's biggest franchise and (arguably) its biggest draw was barely featured on its own streaming service.

I own more Paramount content on Blu-Ray than they've got on their own streaming service up here, let's put it that way.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
And maybe handing off to another distributor would be a thinkable decision in that environment, where the branding of the two brands isn't so deeply entwined. But that hasn't been their strategy in the US, so I'm just left reeling at the stupidity of it.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
So after thefakelinks comments, I actually checked my crave account last night and sure enough: only strange new worlds remains. I bought into crave specifically for the lower decks... so... canceled. Going to kill the auto renew. Man, all this rebroadcast rights bullshit is just hurting the content creators now, why are they still acting like antenna range rules the day?

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Well, ideally, they don't want to rebroadcast anything at all, every network wants to own its own space with its exclusive content and have you pay them directly. Back in the 90s, when people used to complain about wishing they could pay for only the cable channels they actually watched, one of those people got the monkey paw. But somehow when platforms can't sell their own content, the results get even worse.

Top Bottom