Star Trek: Picard

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I am pretty sure Walter Koenig was playing Anton Chekhov's son. He specifically name drops his father.
President Anton Chekov is Pavel Chekov's son. Pavel Chekov is the one who served on the original Enterprise.

Fun fact: Anton was named for Anton Yelchin, who played Pavel Chekov in the movies that started in 2009, but who died a tragic death shortly after the third movie was filmed.

Last edited:

wentwood

Citizen
Well the last two minutes with Q might be setting up for yet another Star Trek spin off. Crazier stuff like this happened before.

Ms. Marvel set up The Marvels.

I wonder if Strange New Worlds will lead to another Kirk series set at the time of TOS or also do some sort of Phase II series.

If this is the case it would need to be after Turnabout Intruder to continue from that point to avoid any TOS episodes already done.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Well the last two minutes with Q might be setting up for yet another Star Trek spin off. Crazier stuff like this happened before.

Ms. Marvel set up The Marvels.

I wonder if Strange New Worlds will lead to another Kirk series set at the time of TOS or also do some sort of Phase II series.

If this is the case it would need to be after Turnabout Intruder to continue from that point to avoid any TOS episodes already done.

I'd rather SNW not get spun off and remain its own thing, thanks. All the new Star Trek shows have been just that...new. They've continued on threads left behind from the old days, but they've mostly told new stories in the bargain. Kirk's crew has had their time in the sun.

Axaday

Citizen
President Anton Chekov is Pavel Chekov's son. Pavel Chekov is the one who served on the original Enterprise.

Fun fact: Anton was named for Anton Yelchin, who played Pavel Chekov in the movies that started in 2009, but who died a tragic death shortly after the third movie was filmed.
Yeah, I caught that later. Anton Chekov was familiar because he is a famous playwright. I got it crossed.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
I'd rather SNW not get spun off and remain its own thing, thanks. All the new Star Trek shows have been just that...new. They've continued on threads left behind from the old days, but they've mostly told new stories in the bargain. Kirk's crew has had their time in the sun.
I agree with the premise that a show about Kirk would be just a less interesting SNW. That said, the phrasing here is weird. Having or being a spinoff doesn't make either show less new. SNW is a spinoff, just like Legacy would be a spinoff, each following the adventures of a crew and ship we met in another show which doesn't need that spot in the timeline anymore.

Darth_Prime

Citizen

Not starting drama with any one person. This is an example of how we are overdoing the spoiler tags. Honestly, I’m against them. Let’s be real, if you don’t wanna be spoiled, you shouldn’t be in the thread.

I thought it was a nice touch with the name.

I am also cracking up at the TikTok’s that use the sound from the Death Star II run mixed in with the Enterprise making her run. As much as I love that scene. I wish they would have separated the saucer section and used the battle bridge.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well there's a minor problem with that desire. If they ditched the saucer and did the run in the star drive section you're not watching the Enterprise save the day, you're watching the USS Syracuse save the day.

Which would kind off defeat the purpose.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
That’s true. I just think it would have been cool. Seemed like an under utilized option during the series. But that also would have meant splitting the crew up between the two parts and the whole thing was them together.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I agree with the premise that a show about Kirk would be just a less interesting SNW. That said, the phrasing here is weird. Having or being a spinoff doesn't make either show less new. SNW is a spinoff, just like Legacy would be a spinoff, each following the adventures of a crew and ship we met in another show which doesn't need that spot in the timeline anymore.

I'm sorry. I suck at explaining myself. Exhaustion due to overwork gives me trouble communicating.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Huh. I just realized that in each season of Picard, exactly one (1) lead character voluntarily plugs themselves into the Borg Collective as a major inflection point in a character arc. That's three nickels.

I didn't think about Jurati at first, and just figured Matalas might have felt the same way about Seven's incredibly awesome moment in the first season doing so followed by immediate anticlimactic results, and wanted a shot at doing it properly.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Thinking about it now, my first thought was, you know, this isn't a D&D campaign, Mr. Chabon sir, if you haven't prepared for that encounter you really can just make the character not do that. No railroading required.

But then if a DM invalidated my PC's moment of awesome like that in a face-to-face game, there would be table flipping.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
A few thoughts:

The 'Neo-Conny" class bothered me. It looked good, but using an update of an older design for a HERO ship? Admittedly there is only so many times you can do the Saucer/body/Nacelles look before becoming derivative.

I feel the Q scene would have more fitting with Q Jr. LOVE DeLancie but he closed his book in S2. They could (later) flip the script and have Q Jr constantly trying to HELP Jack and the crew only to get lectures about choice and consequences and yadda-yadda-yadda.

Why did Geordi mention only the nacelles came from the Syracuse? Being an engineer he would have specified "Star Drive section", unless it was literal and other pieces were taken from another ship(s). Did the warp nacelles look bigger to anyone else?

Had to check, but Crash did get a promotion.

Not having Whoopi Goldberg in the last scene was bad, especially since Riker said she was in the room! A shot of her rolling her eyes and throwing her hands up in annoyed frustration when Picard whips out the poker cards was missed.

Kup

Citizen
They wanted to bring back Ro (among others) for the final episode and ran out of money. I would imagine a Whoopi cameo would have been lower priority than showing Ro was still alive.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
The 'Neo-Conny" class bothered me. It looked good, but using an update of an older design for a HERO ship? Admittedly there is only so many times you can do the Saucer/body/Nacelles look before becoming derivative.
I really like it as the Shangri-La class it was initially designed as for the 23rd century aesthetic. Oddly enough, the update to the Wasp(?) class to make the Intrepid seemed to come off more successfully to me.

Why did Geordi mention only the nacelles came from the Syracuse? Being an engineer he would have specified "Star Drive section", unless it was literal and other pieces were taken from another ship(s). Did the warp nacelles look bigger to anyone else?
I treat that as a scripting flub and that he should have said "stardrive section". Though it's entirely possible that the core and nacelles were from the Syracuse, and the other bits and pieces from various other wrecked Galaxy ships. Just like the folks that restore old cars, pieces can come from anywhere! Ha ha ha!

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I treat that as a scripting flub and that he should have said "stardrive section". Though it's entirely possible that the core and nacelles were from the Syracuse, and the other bits and pieces from various other wrecked Galaxy ships. Just like the folks that restore old cars, pieces can come from anywhere! Ha ha ha!
In Ship of the Line, Morgan Bateson reveals that small parts of the Enterprise-D's frame were integrated into the -E in various locations, as a means of commemorating the legacy....

Kup

Citizen
I really like it as the Shangri-La class it was initially designed as for the 23rd century aesthetic. Oddly enough, the update to the Wasp(?) class to make the Intrepid seemed to come off more successfully to me.

Yeah, I definitely see it as the engines are from Syracuse, but the rest was pieced together in such a way that it wasn’t worth mentioning each of the other ships. Especially if they came from dominion war casualties.

Top Bottom