Star Trek: Picard

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
I primarly go with it being under construction as the new Enterprise but the Ti-Ho was a code name for the project so meshing both togather

Axaday

Citizen
I guess there is a sort of sense in it that construction of 1701-A was begun before it was clear that Excelsior would be the successor so they were just still building what they knew. Still it just doesn't sit well with me that they'd build a ship and then retire it in less than 10 years even thought it was in great shape just because it was outdated.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
If you go by the books the A would go on numrius more missions and had a rough life in those waning years

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I never even though of Ashes as even Beta cannon
Neither did one of the Pocket Books executives (I can't recall which one off the top of my head), referring to The Return and its TNG-set sequels as the "Shatnerverse" continuity.

As said books are basically to audiovisual canon Star Trek as "Wings Universe" is to Sunbow-G1 Transformers continuity, I used to posit to various YouTube Trekkers insisting that the Hobus Event and all that followed in Old Man Picard could not be in the 1966-2005 Trek continuity (Because Reasons!) that we were seeing the future of "Shatnerverse" continuity play out. It would explain why Picard took so long to get his groove back (not being the Usual Designated Hero), and wouldn't require nearly as many contortions as the insistence by some alcohol-adjacent commentator/enablers that it was instead the future of "Tapestry"....

Cybersnark

Citizen
For those who missed the NX-01:

TUphBp4.jpeg

MrBlud

Citizen
This has nothing to do with future spoilers but rather something that happened in the episode itself

How on Earth did Jack not know about Voyager? Wouldn’t that have happened when he was a kid? That HAS to be the most famous ship since the Enterprise-D if not more so. He said he was always interested in ships so how could that have possibly escaped his notice

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
This has nothing to do with future spoilers but rather something that happened in the episode itself

How on Earth did Jack not know about Voyager? Wouldn’t that have happened when he was a kid? That HAS to be the most famous ship since the Enterprise-D if not more so. He said he was always interested in ships so how could that have possibly escaped his notice
To be fair, in fiction, there are a LOT of famous star ships. But I think it might have come down to the fact the Voyager events weren’t as “exciting” as one of the most famous ships of the Dominion War.
Correlating to the real world, in the 50s and 60s, there were a number of interesting scientific and exploration voyages conducted thanks to the benefits of using a nuclear submarine. Yet, the average person would probably have more knowledge and association with events/mechanics of World War 2 or Vietnam because those are “exciting” or attention catching events than just exploration.
It’s just the way people are.

Or to put it another way, Voyager spent nearly a decade on the other side of the galaxy while most in the Alpha Quadrant were dealing with the ramifications of the Dominion War or Borg invasions. Regardless how amazing Voyager’s travels were…they were largely removed from stuff people in the Alpha Quadrant were actually concerned with.

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
I feel like Voyager being that far away; in a society that is oriented almost entirely around “seeking out new life and new civilizations” PLUS bringing tech back that almost entirely neutralized the Borg (with an adult and a few reclaimed Borg children) would functionally be the equivalent of the Moon landing bringing back the first atomic bomb.

It would’ve been an unfathomably huge spectacle you couldn’t ignore if you tried.

…unless you’re Jack Crusher.

Kup

Citizen
I fully expected a “I knew, was just trolling” you comment from Jack. He and Seven were having a moment and being like “what ship is *that*” is something I would totally do with someone I was connecting with. Genuinely surprised they didn’t include a line like that. Maybe Jack planned to but Seven’s open heart moment made him change his mind.

Thefakelink

Citizen
I agree. Right now it’s riding on love of TNG/24th century Trek more than love for this new thing they’re doing.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Regarding the "ship museum".

I got the impression that the whole "ship museum" was OTT fan service. I thought old ships, no matter how "famous" they were, got decommissioned, gutted/scrapped and left to rot? I do, however, somewhat recall one older (Enterprise?) in one of the films being used as a museum/training centre though, with Scotty on board for some reason?

Also, if there was a museum (or the physical location), wouldn't there be a fair amount of civilian traffic, with visitors/tourists, etc going to and fro? It wouldn't be almost abandoned, like in the show?

Oh, and is does this museum become the hub of the new Federation in Discovery (in the future)? The space station looks similar to the one in that show and didn't they use older ships that hadn't blown up (due to inactivity at the time), such as Voyager and then retrofit/upgrade them, or is the "Voyager" in Discovery a subsequent version of that ship (just as there were several ships called "Enterprise")?

Edit:

By the 32nd century, the USS Voyager-J (of a re-inspired Intrepid-class) was the eleventh starship to bear the name Voyager. (DIS: "Die Trying")

(Star Trek wiki)

-

-

Still, I feel the scenes are similar/related in some way...

Last edited:

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
Would've though Voyager's Discovery/Return would've been a much needed "Feel good moment" for the Federation as the Dominion War was in full swing when they were discovered and recovering when Voyager returned.

But things with 'Feel Good ' stories, they're a quick hit of dopamine then forgotten about, unless one is directly connected, like the crew and their families.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
fleet museums exists in real life as well just cos a ships been retired does not mean she just gets torn appart and left for dead
so one can assume this one exsist as well also there might not be foot traffic at the moment due to it being most likely preped for fleet
week

Also spotted this in an older anime
was3ee.JPG

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
I got the impression that the whole "ship museum" was OTT fan service.
Memory Alpha has already been updated with the Picard stuff, and I can't find the exact scene, but I remembered the Enterprise finale referring to the Enterprise being decommissioned and turned into a museum. Supposedly the same episode also establishes that the NX-01 still exists in the 24th Century within a museum. So the NX-01 was the original Fleet Museum and this has been canon since 2005.
The fact that the NX-01 was refit with the secondary hull means that either it was taken back into service after retirement or it was not actually decommissioned until much later than intended. So if you want to reconcile this appearance with the same Enterprise episode, you have to assume that Riker knows and isn't mentioning something Archer doesn't know about yet, but that's not all that weird actually. It doesn't bear on the existence of a museum though. Of course, the real reason it has a secondary hull is because we know about the concept art, I.e. fanservice.

The selection of the ships in the museum as we see it in Picard is suspect. They're the same ships that Boimler gushes about in Lower Decks, which happen to be the hero ships of the various series. I think we need a little bit of that "according to great minds like Plato, Zoroaster, and M'Keptak of the planet Frall" business in there to mix in some colorful nonsense with the familiar names so we don't assume we've seen everything there is to see.

Axaday

Citizen
I got the impression that the whole "ship museum" was OTT fan service. I thought old ships, no matter how "famous" they were, got decommissioned, gutted/scrapped and left to rot? I do, however, somewhat recall one older (Enterprise?) in one of the films being used as a museum/training centre though, with Scotty on board for some reason?

At the start of Star Trek 2, Enterprise is assigned to training and Spock is her captain. In Star Trek 6, they say Enterprise-A will be mothballed. Not ground up for scrap.

Also, if there was a museum (or the physical location), wouldn't there be a fair amount of civilian traffic, with visitors/tourists, etc going to and fro? It wouldn't be almost abandoned, like in the show?

We don't necessarily see contrary to that. The scenes are aboard Titan and in the administrator's office.

Memory Alpha has already been updated with the Picard stuff, and I can't find the exact scene, but I remembered the Enterprise finale referring to the Enterprise being decommissioned and turned into a museum. Supposedly the same episode also establishes that the NX-01 still exists in the 24th Century within a museum. So the NX-01 was the original Fleet Museum and this has been canon since 2005.
The fact that the NX-01 was refit with the secondary hull means that either it was taken back into service after retirement or it was not actually decommissioned until much later than intended. So if you want to reconcile this appearance with the same Enterprise episode, you have to assume that Riker knows and isn't mentioning something Archer doesn't know about yet, but that's not all that weird actually. It doesn't bear on the existence of a museum though. Of course, the real reason it has a secondary hull is because we know about the concept art, I.e. fanservice.
If only they'd had the foresight to not show external shots of Enterprise on the finale.
But the ship that we saw with secondary hull could have been another ship also

The selection of the ships in the museum as we see it in Picard is suspect. They're the same ships that Boimler gushes about in Lower Decks, which happen to be the hero ships of the various series. I think we need a little bit of that "according to great minds like Plato, Zoroaster, and M'Keptak of the planet Frall" business in there to mix in some colorful nonsense with the familiar names so we don't assume we've seen everything there is to see.

Jack and Seven are gushing about the same things as Boimler, but that isn't all that is there.
We've never heard of USS New Jersey, for starters. But there are a K'Tinga and a Romulan Bird of Prey that we can't account for and still more rings that we can't see, not to mention the entire inside bay or bays. The ones outside are a curated first impression collection.

Top Bottom