Star Trek: Picard

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
With Alton Indigo Soong already established, I'm not sure why we need to speculate. If it's different, that's fine, but an easy explanation is already low-hanging fruit with trying to resurrect a long-deconstructed android

Cradok

Citizen
The bit with the two Picards was good because it's Patrick Stewart doing what he does best, The Picard Speech. Everything with Jurati was great, I find Alison Pill steals the show more often than not, can't wait to see what comes next. I find Jurati a very interesting character, because no matter the situation, you can count on her to just do the worst thing, because she's a shut-in bio-cyberneticist and is completely out of her depth the whole time, and that's not something Trek does a lot.

Not looking forward to what I assume is next week's episode, the voyage into Picard's mind to deal with the childhood trauma the character didn't need crowbarred into his backstory. Maybe Patrick Stewart and Orla Brady can salvage something from that...

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
After the preview for next episode I've seen speculation that it will be Agnes herself as the Borg Queen from the first episode that came through the rift. That makes good sense since her face was covered (needed when it's someone you'd know) and the fact that the ship is atypical of traditional Borg ships. But also, because she called him Picard instead of Locutus.
Well this is starting to look more and more like the case.

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
Yeah, it seems like we could also see that...

...the gang traveling to the past is what sets into motion the alternate future, not what stops it. Introducing a Borg queen onto Earth in 2024, before First Contact from any other alien species, would definitely result a few centuries of xenophobia. Also seems like a very Q thing to set up, to show how fragile humankind's 24th-century "enlightenment" actually was. So maybe they stop the Borgnes in 2024, and avert the fascist future... but then in a final-act surprise, she survives and manages to travel to the timeline we saw at the start of the season to take revenge. Or something.

Either way, around this time last season I remember saying this just wasn't a good show, and then it managed to get worse. This season has felt like a significant improvement.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Picard's speech in this episode was just amazing! I loved it and it reminded me of the good old days with Picard on TNG. He didn't need a top of the line ship and crew, he just needed a problem that he could use his massive experience and epitome of humanity to solve.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to go watch TNG S4E2 Family.

Lobjob

Citizen
I am atleast looking forward to this show each week, and while they could still lose the plot, i have actually enjoyed it without throwing my hands up in the air.

Hopefully posting this doesn't jinx it. In fact, let's pretend I didn't say anything.

Dvandom

Citizen
The Jurati thread is really losing me. Like, I muted a couple of her scenes this time. Yeah, the song was nice, but every other time she opens her mouth it's super annoying.

---Dave

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
See, to me she's cute and relatable and her plot has been the most grounded in Trek terms with the least new elements and rules thrown at it every episode, so with this last it was the part I was enjoying the most. Followed by Picard's speech ("No. Fear is fear. It does not speak in riddles.")

MrBlud

Citizen
That was rather decompressed. Didn’t seem like much happened.

The Police Officer at the end there also played Ducane of the USS Relativity. I’m hoping the staff remembers this too and we get a little nod but I’m prepared to be disappointed

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That was rather decompressed. Didn’t seem like much happened.

The Police Officer at the end there also played Ducane of the USS Relativity. I’m hoping the staff remembers this too and we get a little nod but I’m prepared to be disappointed
What if it's more than a nod and is the same character?

MrBlud

Citizen
Even better but that wouldn’t work with the arbitrary time travel rules they’ve previously set as seen here…

8568964B-BAA0-444F-8E03-A291AECA34A3.jpeg

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
True. I suppose it's possible the time cops could exist outside the normal timelines. I still think the Guinan not knowing him thing was just a last minute "Oh.. oh yeah, we totally meant to do that!" excuse and did not in fact give it that much thought. I dunno what to think but it was a nice last minute touch.

But yeah, you're probably right. It's just a nod by having the same guy.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Yeah, I saw someone lay out what they need to resolve in the next three episodes and:
  1. Jurati slowly becoming a new Borg Queen
  2. Whatever mystery remains within Jean-Luc's mind
  3. Making sure Renée's journey into space happens without further interference from Q and/or Soong
  4. Soong's work and Kore's discovery of it
  5. Jean-Luc and Guinan being taken into custody by the FBI
  6. Rios with the young doctor with her son
  7. Q not being "well" and the reason why he's doing all of this
  8. Getting back to the 25th Century
  9. The Borg Queen on the Stargazer
  10. The Watcher = Laris' ancestor?

Is an awful lot to handle. Maybe some of those will in themselves resolve others, but that's a hell of a lot of balls in the air. And we didn't even see anything related to point 4 this episode!

Also you totally know that the casting choice was on purpose when
Gaius Baltar is the father of someone who's now effectively a skinjob Cylon.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I guess it's par for the course for this show. I remember in the first season they ****ed around for 6 or 7 episodes and then crammed everything they could into the last couple. That was one of the many problems with it.

This season over all is much better, much more interesting, and much more cohesive. But trying to resolve all those plots so quickly is just another sign of the bad pacing.

Cradok

Citizen
Ten out of ten for avoiding the abusive father angle, minus several million for everything else.

Top Bottom