Star Trek: Picard

Axaday

Citizen
That makes Thunderchild at least, but not much more than, 27 years old. That's about how old 1701 was when it got refit.

NCC-2000 would be like 120 years old. The side view shown in the graphic is totally distinguishable, but I saw it from the front and could tell no difference in the time I was given. As it should be. If there was some reason you had to abandon the Excelsior design entirely then you do what you have to do, but if you didn't need to change it, why on earth would you?

I never looked to see if there was any information on whether the Excelsior class ships we regularly saw in early TNG were 60-70 years old or whether it was just a good working structure that everyone liked, so they kept making them. They've been making 737's for 50 years, but if you get booked on one you don't have to worry about it actually being 50 years old. (In fact, I would be more worried about it only being a couple years old. )

Axaday

Citizen
Every thing that made me hate season 1 has been hand waved away and season 2's opening has everything I could ever love about it. I'm glad they took the fan feedback seriously and reinvented the show going forward instead of the (now) usual attitude of dismissing (And in some cases outright attacking) fans who didn't like the product.

To date I haven't heard a single negative commentary on the opening episode (outside a few minor nitpicks).
Can you be more specific? I don't see what from Season 1 has been hand waved and I don't know what feedback has apparently been taken seriously and I don't see how the show has been reinvented.

Dake

Citizen
That makes Thunderchild at least, but not much more than, 27 years old. That's about how old 1701 was when it got refit.

NCC-2000 would be like 120 years old. The side view shown in the graphic is totally distinguishable, but I saw it from the front and could tell no difference in the time I was given. As it should be. If there was some reason you had to abandon the Excelsior design entirely then you do what you have to do, but if you didn't need to change it, why on earth would you?

I never looked to see if there was any information on whether the Excelsior class ships we regularly saw in early TNG were 60-70 years old or whether it was just a good working structure that everyone liked, so they kept making them. They've been making 737's for 50 years, but if you get booked on one you don't have to worry about it actually being 50 years old. (In fact, I would be more worried about it only being a couple years old. )
Depending on what part of the world you find yourself, there are still 737-200s in airline service fifty years after they rolled off the assembly line! But yeah, your point still stands. We know that the general shape of Federation starships is dictated by warp-bubble formation and the like, so it stands to reason that there will always be similarities, and if you have historic names available, it makes sense they'd use them where they could.

Axaday

Citizen
Depending on what part of the world you find yourself, there are still 737-200s in airline service fifty years after they rolled off the assembly line!

I would rather ride that than a SuperMax.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Can you be more specific? I don't see what from Season 1 has been hand waved and I don't know what feedback has apparently been taken seriously and I don't see how the show has been reinvented.

Well for starters, everyone is in Starfleet now and it's not some barely mentioned institution of bad guys. Picard is back, Raffi is back, Rios is a captain, Elnor isn't a space elf anymore, Jeratti's murder of Madox was hand waved away as being cleared of all charges because of "alien influence", the Starfleet Armada is more than a cut paste of 100 of the same ship. And while not completely ignored, Picard being a synth is super low key. Basically every plot point introduced in season one has been utterly ignored.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Just in time for it all to be ignored in an alternate timeline!

Did it really bug you that much that they weren't in Starfleet and that SF were somewhat the baddies?

Axaday

Citizen
Jeratti's murder of Madox was hand waved away as being cleared of all charges because of "alien influence",
I find that part unbelievable. She wasn't possessed. I worry about a future where it is okay to murder someone if you can demonstrate that someone sincerely told you that the victim was going to bring about a disaster.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I had always assumed that there had been some kind of brainwashing/conditioning going on beyond the apocalyptic vision. Heck, the Romulans did it to LaForge back in TNG season...five? The process maybe got more efficient as the years went on.

Kup

Citizen
Those who saw the Ad..admon...whatever it was called basically went insane. Remember the Romulan XB? Brought down a whole cube when they assimilated her.

Jurati didn't act insane, but if she was effectively half-possessed by whatever mind meld that Commodore did to her, I can at least buy it. Plus, that Commodore was pretty far up in Starfleet Command's hierarchy. Maybe after an inquiry, they discovered that Jurati was just the latest in a long line of possessions.

Sorta grasping at straws here, but it sorta, kinda makes sense in-universe.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Just in time for it all to be ignored in an alternate timeline!

Did it really bug you that much that they weren't in Starfleet and that SF were somewhat the baddies?
A lot of stuff bugged me about season 1

MrBlud

Citizen
It bugged me too but with time travel shenanigans incoming it’s possible he won’t have died in the restored timeline making the whole thing a bit of a non-issue.

If that’s not the case I’ll reassess then.

LiamA

Citizen
Well the fleet issue's been solved this season by them doing what they should have done last season - ask the STO folks for models!

SPOILER_4103vsg4f6l81.png

Don't think I need to spoiler this since there's no context. The Sovereign and Akira models were also provided by Cryptic, not just the four STO ships, and Thomas Marrone, one of the head ship designers, also contributed significant work on the middle ship there. This is a guy who actually put in personal time to revamp older models in STO to better match the show models on his own, so this was something of a dream for him, to actually contribute to a Trek show himself. I also got the impression going forward it'll be a thing they continue to do, given the huge variety of ship models basically already done for them.

As for the episode itself, they used the time skip to really push the reset button - other than the characters already knowing each other, this really feels like it could have been the proper start of the series. I'm withholding judgment overall though until they hit the 2024 stuff they showed in the trailers, as a promising first episode doesn't always mean a good series.

(I'm also really chuffed the Gagarin was one of the four, as it's one of my favorite STO Trek designs, and practically the second poster ship for STO now after the Odyssey class - which from twitter hints we may see at some point this season too.)

That Excelsior class might be the ship we saw in the 2nd season finale of 'Lower Decks'.

MrBlud

Citizen
I hope everyone who complains about how current Star Trek is “too woke” enjoyed last nights episode of Picard.

That’s presumably what they’re looking for…

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I liked the first episode. I still want Picard to hookup with Laris.

Q only showing up at the end was kind of a dissapointment to me, because I love Q. As soon as the kids get done playing Mario on my main TV, I am going to have to check out episode 2!

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
That Excelsior class might be the ship we saw in the 2nd season finale of 'Lower Decks'.
The USS Archimedes from LD ended up being an Obena class, but the only major difference really between it and the Excelsior II class looks to be the nacelle pylons.

Really, though, if they wanted to retcon the classes together to be the same, I doubt anyone would get too worked up. Maybe.

Glitch

Citizen
I wonder if this TNG scene will play into Picard season 2
Also note the Borg Queen detecting quantum anomolies is much like what Guinan did in Yesterdays Enterprise, maybe this one or Borg Queen's have been El Aurians and it'd be a twist if a group of El Aurians created the Borg.

MrBlud

Citizen
The Borg Queen seems to be much more precise. Guinan just had the general feeling that something was “off” while the Borg Queen could pinpoint the point of divergence almost exactly.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That was a really great episode that was very 'edge of your seat' until the lead up to the end. I'm always going to be a sucker for anything to do with time travel and timelines though.

Top Bottom