Star Trek: Picard

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The return of Q!

Seriously amped for this season. I can't wait to see how this goes. Hopefully they will pick up on the Whole, "Q is trying to help humanity" fan theory.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've always figured that Q saw Humanity in general, and especially Picard, as "pets" to some extant. He does actually have our best interests in mind, though his methods are just as much for his own amusement as our benefit.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I really wasn't going to watch after (what I thought was) the disaster that was season one.

That said, I really wanted to see de Lancie and Stewart together on screen again, so I wanted to give it another try. I'm glad I did. Really enjoyed the first episode, and I want to see how it goes!

Dake

Citizen
Yeah... the thing is I enjoyed most of season 1 as a whole - just thought they stunk up the finale. Hopefully this can carry itself all the way through.

Axaday

Citizen
Yeah... the thing is I enjoyed most of season 1 as a whole - just thought they stunk up the finale. Hopefully this can carry itself all the way through.
If they haven't realized killing Hugh was a mistake and hand wave undone it, then they stunk up more than the finale.

In the final analysis I don't think I liked the idea that drove the whole first season once I saw where it was all meant to go. I just enjoyed a lot of scenery along the way. But in the end how much of it was treated fairly? Not Echeb and probably no Hugh. The Transector? The Borg Queen room? That stuff ends up pretty fan-wanky. The Song robots? Not really. I feel like the first episode was great. The vineyard, the Romulan friends, the subtly depicted advances in technology. And the Rikers were treated well. The battle fleet can be made sense of in my head, but the show didn't do it. The looming robot threat ready to destroy the galaxy whenever asked?

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Well the fleet issue's been solved this season by them doing what they should have done last season - ask the STO folks for models!

SPOILER_4103vsg4f6l81.png

Don't think I need to spoiler this since there's no context. The Sovereign and Akira models were also provided by Cryptic, not just the four STO ships, and Thomas Marrone, one of the head ship designers, also contributed significant work on the middle ship there. This is a guy who actually put in personal time to revamp older models in STO to better match the show models on his own, so this was something of a dream for him, to actually contribute to a Trek show himself. I also got the impression going forward it'll be a thing they continue to do, given the huge variety of ship models basically already done for them.

As for the episode itself, they used the time skip to really push the reset button - other than the characters already knowing each other, this really feels like it could have been the proper start of the series. I'm withholding judgment overall though until they hit the 2024 stuff they showed in the trailers, as a promising first episode doesn't always mean a good series.

(I'm also really chuffed the Gagarin was one of the four, as it's one of my favorite STO Trek designs, and practically the second poster ship for STO now after the Odyssey class - which from twitter hints we may see at some point this season too.)

Glitch

Citizen
So El Aurians can change their physical appearance to accommodate aging species.
That's a thing now.
Fudge me just say Guinan s on her last legs and rapidly aging, it's plausible.

Dake

Citizen
I mean, sure why not? It's as reasonable as any other science-magic in the show.

Mat-Man

Citizen
The Sutherland class looks so similar to the Nebula class I can't tell what the differences are. Is it just the nacelles being further away from main engineering?

Dake

Citizen
Is it a size thing?

9GKu2Im.jpg

akx8ZLK.jpg

Because yeah, the one just looks like an updated version of the other.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
That's because the Sutherland IS the new Nebula. it's the successor class, like Miranda -> Reliant, Galaxy-> Andromeda(Or Ross in this case). There's not going to be huge differences when they're only one ship generation apart or so.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
There were so many good ideas in season one that could have made for the basis of the season on its own - Hugh and the XB's, the fallout of the destruction of Romulus and the displacement of the Romulans as a whole, or even Soji and Dahj, and Data's legacy. Instead they mashed that all together with a dollop of Galactic Threat on top (because that's all live action Star Trek seems to be now), plus a side of Everyone's Got Trauma.

I just found it really hard to enjoy, especially at a time when escapism was a badly needed thing.

We'll see if the rest of season two keeps up the positive momentum, or ends up like Discovery's second season and starts unravelling by episode three.

Glitch

Citizen
'yesterdays enterprise'? Groan.
They'll be shoehorning more episode titles into dialogue for meta gags so expect 'best of both worlds' at some point.

Axaday

Citizen
I was really surprised that the Excelsior herself is in service over a century later.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Every thing that made me hate season 1 has been hand waved away and season 2's opening has everything I could ever love about it. I'm glad they took the fan feedback seriously and reinvented the show going forward instead of the (now) usual attitude of dismissing (And in some cases outright attacking) fans who didn't like the product.

To date I haven't heard a single negative commentary on the opening episode (outside a few minor nitpicks).

Kup

Citizen
Man. Both the Excelsior and Thunderchild been in service for a while. Bet this is the Excelsior mentioned in Descent based on the registry, and the Thunderchild was at the Battle of Sector 001

Top Bottom