Star Trek: Picard

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
In Encounter At Farpoint, Dr Crusher was going to buy some cloth from the outpost when we first meet her I think, but that could also be explained as first episode wonkiness.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Federation Credits are a thing. The nature of what exactly they are and how they are used is never exactly explained in canon materials, though. They usually come up when the Federation government is negotiating with other powers.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
the no money thing only works thanks to ww3 taking out most of the over population. trek doesn't really talk much about the 90's XD except when Voyager goes there and picks up Sarah Silverman

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Not so sure of that. WW3 caused an increase in scarcity. Post-atomic horror and all that. The no-money thing didn't really start until after the unification of Earth. By that point the population would have largely recovered and humans would know other species exist. Zephram Cochrane invented the Warp Drive in order to get rich, he even admitted it(Dollar signs, in his own words). Granted that was shortly after the end of WW3.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Money was still in use as late as TOS in the classic timeline. It's only in the newer series that the 22nd century is identical to the late 23rd.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Why again was it that 22nd C. shuttlecraft have warp now? Is it just because TOS gave them thingerdoos before thingerdoos were canonically established as warp engines? Even though TMP actively retconned it with what is now widely misunderstood as the "Vulcan" shuttle?

Axaday

Citizen
Money was still in use as late as TOS in the classic timeline. It's only in the newer series that the 22nd century is identical to the late 23rd.
Star Trek 4 is set in 2286, 20 years after the end of TOS and at that time Kirk says "we don't" use money. I don't think it was intended as something that just happened before he headed out to get Spock's body.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Why again was it that 22nd C. shuttlecraft have warp now? Is it just because TOS gave them thingerdoos before thingerdoos were canonically established as warp engines? Even though TMP actively retconned it with what is now widely misunderstood as the "Vulcan" shuttle?

I think it probably is due to the type of shuttle. In TOS, most of the shuttles that we see are short range shuttles that the Enterprise uses. Even then some shuttles can almost keep pace with the Enterprise, for example when Spock stole the Enterprise to take Pike, Kirk was in a shuttle from the starbase chasing him. By the time we get to TNG, shuttles just have warp drive, and then we get bigger ones like the Runabouts.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Fair enough, I hadn't thought to check how consistent TOS was with shuttles having a limited range. Bleh. So it all probably more or less adds up.

Top Bottom