Star Trek General Discussion: Strange New Worlds new season is filming!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Going through IDW's solicitations for July, I came across something rather...interesting.

Maybe one of you can explain this to me?
Introducing....the Borgi!
STL273413.jpg

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Speaking of the comics, recently in STO's latest episode
A friendly Tholian named Bright Eyes shows up - apparently he's from IDW's Year Five run, and was "named" by Uhura? And served on the Enterprise for a bit?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Going through IDW's solicitations for July, I came across something rather...interesting.

STL273413.jpg

Low-Cute-Us of Borgi

wentwood

Citizen
I own all 13 movies on DVD and am watching the second. Hopefully we get the next movie soon. This is the first time to see them all together.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The kelvin timeline is done. The next Star Trek movie will be the section 31 film and it is getting released on paramount +

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
I called direct-to-DVD movies "direct to video" because that's what the V means and the phrase was still an accurate description, but people insisted on correcting me as if someone was releasing videotapes in the age of DVD and there was room for confusion. Now in the present, I think I'll refer to direct to streaming video movies as direct to video, too. It's less accurate but it'll probably hurt the same people.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, video is a format of sorts, so I can see why that might irk people. For the past few years I have been saying direct to consumer.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
With how much CGI is in a lot of those these days, I wonder if OVA would work too? It definitely would for actual animations sent straight to streaming. After all, it's just "Original Video Animation" with the implication it's not a -TV series-.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Well, I reject completely the idea that "video" ever meant VHS tapes except in the practical sense that that's how it was distributed. I mean Betamax was also video and not VHS long before DVD was in the picture. "Direct to consumer" kinda seems like an equally awkward and less direct way to say "direct to streaming", IMO. Theaters are an obvious middleman but all physical media has middlemen too.

They're all attempts to avoid the phrase "nontheatrical release", which is exactly correct and unambiguous but too many syllables.

Edit: And if "direct to video" is a problem, so is "OVA", because it's the same V.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
It's Video, as opposed to Audio (or Print). The media storage type is irrelevant; calling something direct to video is perfectly valid.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, I reject completely the idea that "video" ever meant VHS tapes except in the practical sense that that's how it was distributed. I mean Betamax was also video and not VHS long before DVD was in the picture. "Direct to consumer" kinda seems like an equally awkward and less direct way to say "direct to streaming", IMO. Theaters are an obvious middleman but all physical media has middlemen too.

They're all attempts to avoid the phrase "nontheatrical release", which is exactly correct and unambiguous but too many syllables.

Edit: And if "direct to video" is a problem, so is "OVA", because it's the same V.
Direct to Consumer I use because it could mean direct to streaming, direct to Blu-ray/UHD Blu-ray/DVD, or even direct to download via Itunes, vudu, or the product owner's website. IT just covers a broad range of options. And yes, you can say nontheatrical release, but I prefer to say what it is and not what it isn't.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
It's Video, as opposed to Audio (or Print). The media storage type is irrelevant; calling something direct to video is perfectly valid.
Broadly, this is my position, as well, but I do concede that a theatrical release is "video," despite the fact that (whatever else "direct to video" means) this is the venue specifically intended to be excluded by the phrase.

LiamA

Citizen

STL273413.jpg

Some sort of series that is going on now. Quark has a dog and it was discovered there was some Borg tech in the holosuite. I need to reread the first issue.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Not quite. The streaming film on Paramount+ is on a definite schedule, but the next theatrical film is not quite dead yet.
Well, they lost Anton, and Chris Hemsworth didn't want to come back to do their proposed story for them to wrap up the Kelvin timeline. Pretty much no one is working on this the last I checked. Personally, I would have loved to seen a fourth movie, but its been almost 7 years since the last film came out. I doubt that we will get a fourth movie to close out this version of the crew.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Beyond was the only good movie in there and ended in the most satisfying version of "and they would go on to have many adventures, but our story ends here" possible. I don't think this crew needs any kind of further closure now, and the odds are pretty good another movie would leave them in a worse position. I get that Paramount is going to sell whatever it can sell but I genuinely think it would be to everyone's detriment if they made another. So the less likely the better.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, if they could get Hemsworth, then they could do a time loop closing. Like make the changes to where the Kelvin survives and the timeline reverts to the prime timeline, but now we have younger actors to play the original roles. I think that could be a great ending to the Kelvin-verse.

However, I do see what you are saying and how it could muck everything up.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I can only imagine the outrage if Kirk, Spock, and Uhura (oh, and Pike!) were suddenly replaced in Strange New Worlds by their Kelvin-timeline actors.

(Well, maybe if Spock and Uhura [and Pike] were replaced)

Top Bottom