Spider-Man: No Way Home

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It was how a Spider-Man movie should end. Even when he wins, he usually still loses. That's a STRONG element throughout most of the character's history where he tries his damndest to be the best he can, he usually wins over the villain or conflict, but usually at some sort of cost. About the only film that didn't have Peter taking a huge personal hit was Homecoming, and he still ended up hurting a classmate. Spider-Man 2 netted him the girl, but he lost a mentor AND his best friend.

So the ending of NWH is a VERY "Spider-Man" type ending to me.
Yes! That's EXACTLY what Peter Parker was about from the start and why so many people could relate to him compared to the flawlessly heroic comic book characters of the time.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yes! That's EXACTLY what Peter Parker was about from the start and why so many people could relate to him compared to the flawlessly heroic comic book characters of the time.
While developing their Spider-Man game insomniac did a lot of research into the character and came across a very simple formula: If one wins, the other must lose. So a win for Spider-man means something is gonna go wrong for Peter/Miles, and if something goes good for Peter/Miles its gonna negatively impact Spider-man.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I didn't read any Miles stuff because I'd already mostly abandoned comics by the time Ultimate Universe rolled around. I've only ever seen him in the Spider-Verse movie so I don't really know much about the character.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
MCU Peter doesn't have to follow classic Spider-Man tropes. I recall that makers did Homecoming with avoiding stuff the other two Spider movies have done before, hence there was him swinging in the highways and suburbs (?) with no buildings around.

But I guess the movie was suppose to end with Tom Holland leaving MCU so they wanted to bring Spider-Man to a throwback sort of status quo? But c'mon, what's wrong with making Iron Man protege Peter as the new movie status quo? Keep him happy! Happy should stay too, come what May not.

I can't rank the three Home movies. They're all great in different aspects. So

Far from / No Way Home / Coming

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's to make you want to see the sequel where he gets the girl, again. Everything is about making you see the sequel.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
Hopefully not bad things with Ned. Dude was his best friend.

I know, there's the comic background with the paper-and-ink version of Ned Leeds, but still - best friends.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Ned should have picked up some Green Goblin specs or kept some bomb tech. He did say he was going into engineering, right? Ned Leeds was a journalist. Ned Lee from Spectacular show was a cop. Who knows what MCU Ned will be?

Er, question but did MCU Aunt May ever say she was married? Like, was an Uncle Ben ever mentioned by anyone in-movie?

(Might have been taking his MCU existence for granted, like never noticing that MCU Clint was never called as Hawkeye or JLU J'onn J'onzz never being called Martian Manhunter to his face).

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Dude was his best friend.

Yeah. Peter's best friends never have a history with goblins.

EDIT: To expand a bit though, this is now a Ned that never met Peter. Never had that influence in his life.

Ned should have picked up some Green Goblin specs or kept some bomb tech. He did say he was going into engineering, right?

More than that - this Ned's got a gift.
This opens things easily to go straight to Demogoblin.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Ned should have picked up some Green Goblin specs or kept some bomb tech. He did say he was going into engineering, right? Ned Leeds was a journalist. Ned Lee from Spectacular show was a cop. Who knows what MCU Ned will be?

Er, question but did MCU Aunt May ever say she was married? Like, was an Uncle Ben ever mentioned by anyone in-movie?

(Might have been taking his MCU existence for granted, like never noticing that MCU Clint was never called as Hawkeye or JLU J'onn J'onzz never being called Martian Manhunter to his face).
Uncle Ben was only mentioned in the zombie What If? episode. So one could assume he exists or he existed in that universe at least. I'm guessing that No Way Home wants you to assume there wasn't an Uncle Ben in the MCU. Or at least not one that had an impact on Peter or May recently.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Uncle Ben was only mentioned in the zombie What If? episode. So one could assume he exists or he existed in that universe at least. I'm guessing that No Way Home wants you to assume there wasn't an Uncle Ben in the MCU. Or at least not one that had an impact on Peter or May recently.
Oh, I didn't even consider the What Ifs. Yeah, it was only in No Way Home when I realized that MCU Aunt May might not even have been married at all. Interesting actually. Makes me sorta want to check the past movies to view Peter in a different light.

From the Captain Midnight video, he said something about folks not liking MCU Peter cuz he was behaving like a trust fund kid or something. I dunno about that behavior but I did find the genuine lighthearted feeling to be refreshing for Peter (not the 'hiding my pain with quips' thing). I thought the review would go into that Insomniac plus for Peter balances minus for Spidey and vice versa thing Shadewing said but I'm sure other videos would get into that. (Actually, I'd like to see an introspective thing about how good MCU Peter had it before NWH happened).

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
FB_IMG_1643022583477.jpg

Um, I saw this pic and I don't get what the references are in the movie.

- Sandman didn't get bricked.
- I guess this is Green Goblin related but we never see any ooze in the film.
- Are those bread rolls humping?!?
- I forget but did one of the Peters say bandaid at any point?

Shadewing

Citizen
the bread is the scene when Andrew Garfield shows up and MJ throws bread at him to test his abilities.

Gridlock

Citizen
View attachment 3687
Um, I saw this pic and I don't get what the references are in the movie.

- Sandman didn't get bricked.
- I guess this is Green Goblin related but we never see any ooze in the film.
- Are those bread rolls humping?!?
- I forget but did one of the Peters say bandaid at any point?
Matt catches a brick thrown at Peters window.
In one scene someone splashes Spider-man costume with green paint, with Peter has problem washing it of.
MJ has a bandaid on her forehead at the end of the movie.

Cradok

Citizen
Ben was never named in the MCU, but it's obvious there was a Ben who had recently died. There's two references to May dealing with loss in Civil War and Homecoming, and she wears a wedding ring around her neck. There's also the suitcase in FFH which in monogrammed 'BFP'. The general theory before NWH, and seems to have been solidified by it, is that there was a Ben, he died, but it was nothing to do with Peter or Spider-Man, just something like illness or accident.

Top Bottom