Sony's Spider-Man Universe

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think so, and not undeservedly; however I think they've said the show and this movie are not connected, FWIW.

wentwood

Citizen
I just got Spider Man 8 No Way Home a few days ago. I haven't watched it yet. I also need to see Into The Spider Verse. I had seen Far From Home. #9 will be part 4 of Homecoming but the title keeps changing on us.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I had heard they were thinking about doing a Madam Web movie but I honestly didn't even know it was close to starting production never mind filmed and with a trailer.

-ZacWilliam, wonder if they can completely dodge the existence of Spidey again with Evil-Spidey and the Spider-Girls having costumes and all...

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My memories of Madam Web are almost, if not entirely, all from the '90s cartoon.

And I don't remember her ever leaving that chair.

Suffice to say, that makes me feel like concessions would be needed to make an interesting movie starring her in the title role.

Unless, like, they Legend of Zelda that noise, that is.

Okay, I have to admit, coming at it from that direction makes me interested in her doing stuff from the chair.

I mean, I have no problems with her being in the chair. But I think that would be a challenge to make a superhero movie around, which begs the question of whether whoever makes it is up to that challenge.

Concessions were made. Challenges were not met.

I guess, to be fair, this could be an origin story, and she winds up old and in the chair by the end, but... I'm not holding my breath.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, there's also a different Madame Web in the comics, nowadays. She's Julia Carpenter aka the black-suited Spider-Woman from the 80s and 90s. You might remember her from the Iron Man cartoon.

Mind, I think they're just mixing and matching different things to get a story that they want. Still, there is precedent for a non-chairbound Madame Web.

Last edited:

AgentOrange

Citizen
I had heard they were thinking about doing a Madam Web movie but I honestly didn't even know it was close to starting production never mind filmed and with a trailer.

-ZacWilliam, wonder if they can completely dodge the existence of Spidey again with Evil-Spidey and the Spider-Girls having costumes and all...

Peter's in the trailer. So are Ben and Mary.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Same. I want to be surprised so I don't watch the trailers.

Madame Web
Kraken
Venom 3

It's all Sony Marvel movies for 2024. Deadpool 3 would probably get people pumped enough for the MCU side of things.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Oh, let me be clear. Im not not watching the the trailer to avoid spoilers. Im not watching the trailer because I cannot begin to fathom giving a shit about this movie.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I’m going to call it now-
All those snippets of the girls in full hero gear all come from a 5 minute “vision” and we won’t see anyone aside from evil Spider-man in costume the rest of the movie.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I definitely expect the costumes to be visions only.

Ezekiel is such a weird choice for the villian, cause he never really was one. He was a semi-untrustworthy mentor figure IIRC, never an actual bad guy.

And there are SO many actual evil Spider-men and like Morlun who would seem to fit this story better.

-ZacWilliam, it's fine they changed him it's just a weird choice to start.

Shadewing

Citizen
I definitely expect the costumes to be visions only.

Ezekiel is such a weird choice for the villian, cause he never really was one. He was a semi-untrustworthy mentor figure IIRC, never an actual bad guy.

And there are SO many actual evil Spider-men and like Morlun who would seem to fit this story better.

-ZacWilliam, it's fine they changed him it's just a weird choice to start.

A few going theroies I've seen is that he's possibly playing the bad guy to train them to use their powers for a bigger threat. That would somewhat fit in with his "semi-untrustworthy mentor" role.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Have any of Sony's not MCU movies been good the last few years?

I can't imagine anyone expecting Madam Web to be good given Sony's track record with theirs "Un-Spidey films.

Myself I was hoping for "entertainingly bad". But so far not seeing anyone saying that.

-ZacWilliam, I don't know why they keep thinking spider characters without spidey is a thing to keep trying.

They should be able to see the they aren't doing a good job.

It COULD work. But they aren't doing it. I was vaguely aware of Ironman 18 years ago. I had no awareness of Vision or the Guardians of the Galaxy. I knew Thanos was the name of a Marvel character that Corvus liked. Marvel Studios made it work. Sony isn't getting the job done.

Hope Kraven is good. He's one of my fave classic villains.

Venom seems to be doing well tho. The snarky buddy buddy thing he has going on with Eddie seems to be something the general public enjoys, even if it's not true to the original comic.

It's quite simple: They have to make a Spidey movie every X number of years to keep ownership of their existing license. Ones with Spidey himself are a guaranteed bank, but because they're tied to the MCU now, they have to play ball with Marvel Studios on scheduling(but the profit outweighs the annoyance I assume). If they have to make a Spidey movie to stay current, but can't use the man himself, then this is pretty much their only option. The losses due to a bad movie can be written off for tax breaks, and may very well be less than the profit they make from the MCU Spidey movies that they get a piece of due to keeping the license going.

At least they are releasing them, and not shelving/deleting them for those tax breaks.

Can't they just use Andrew Garfield and say that these movies are set in the Amazing Spider-Man universe? No Way Home even established that his Peter is still active as Spidey in that universe.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Um, to support Kraven?

If they tie in Vulture, Morbius, Venom, Madame Web and Kraven with whichever Spider-Man to make a Stickier Six. Or something. Hehe

Top Bottom