Sony's Spider-Man Universe

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
But do they know what they want to do with him. That'll be the multi-million dollar question.

We all know the answer to that. Sony has absolutely no idea what they want to do with any of these characters.

All they know is that they want to make money with them and create their own pocket-universe MCU, but they have no clue whatsoever how to do so.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Fair points. I was mostly just trying to play devils advocate. Honestly, I really couldn't care less about what they do. I haven't really cared about Marvel for a while and even the Sony movies have been kinda meh.

I watched the first Venom movie and was just kinda meh about i. It wasn't terrible, but I had no desire to watch it again or see the sequel. I only watched No Way Home because it was Spiderman.

It's kinda like this. I really don't care about Marvel except for the occasional Spiderman movi. I really don't care about DC except the occasional Batman movie. Pretty much everything else has just been run into the ground for me.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
giphy.gif

While I’m not “up” on the recent expansions to the Spider-verse these past 10-15 years….I had to google who this was.

Holy god, this guy seems to have appeared in a whopping TWO ISSUES of a series TWELVE YEARS ago?! WTF Sony?!
That gif is me, except in regards to whoeverthehell this "Bad Bunny" individual is supposed to be.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Would it help if I said that was a joke?

I mean, I'm guilty of both charges there, I think, but I did know he was a rapper of some acclaim (I don't really follow music much, I just hear something I like and add it to my playlist) before he did the WWE thing.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Legit have never heard of him before. I guess that makes me old and white. Good to know we're being judgemental here.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
That's some strong old/White energy there. He's a Puerto Rican rapper and the most streamed artist globally on Spotify for the last 2 years, not to mention multiple Grammy, Billboard, and AMA awards

Spoken like a future Sony boardmember.

I think the questions they're meaning to ask is 'What's that got to do with making a movie?' The answer is nothing.
Even more specifically 'What's that got to do with making a good Spider-Man movie that fans want to see?' Absolutely nothing, unless he's on the soundtrack. Maybe?

EDIT: Unless Sony knows they're burning bridges with Marvel fans and need other fanbases to exploit.

Shadewing

Citizen
I don't think it's quiet like that, the articles I've read has basically came down to: Bad Bunny. "I REALLY wanna do one of them superhero movies." Sony, who's already working with him on one film. "Sure, just tell us who you want and we'll make it happen!"

I don't think this has anything to really do with burning bridges, and more to do with them bending over backwards to cater to someone that could be the next big A-lister. It does show that their priorities aren't with making a good /spider-man/ movie, but I don't think its them against marvel fans either.

I've come around to being cautiously optimistic about this movie. I don't care about the character, I'm not sure ANYONE cares about the Character; Marvel sure as hell doesn't seeing as he's not been used at all since his first appearance. So if Bad Bunny, thinks that this is the character that gels with who he is, and gives the kinda passion for the character that Tom Hardy has for Venom, Ryan Reynolds has for Deadpool; then this just might be an enjoyable movie. We've seen more than a few cases of an actor being all in on a character or role being what ends up making the movie actually good. And El Muerto is certainly not a character they can really **** up, so all they gotta do is not make the movie boring (imo the worst sin a movie can be) and they might have a franchise with limitless potential because the character is such a complete nobody in the comics.

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
Yeah, I mean, why does ANY musician get cast in a movie? Because musicians tend to be charismatic performers, and they're a "name" studios can build a movie around. Sometimes they end up being decent actors, sometimes they don't, but they bring in an audience. No reason to read anything more into it.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
I wonder if or how Spider-Gwen will join live-action in the foreseeable future. I assume, anyway, that Sony has those rights.

MrBlud

Citizen
I’m actually not sure.

They definitely have the rights to Gwen Stacy but it’s possible they don’t for “Spider-Gwen” but it’s not like Disney is going to pull rank when they still need them for regular Spider-Man.

Shadewing

Citizen
I would love a Spider-Gwen/Ghost-Spider movie; She'd be a much better solo movie then their current plans.

MrBlud

Citizen
Gwen Stacy was but “Spider-Gwen” didn’t exist as a concept when Marvel sold the rights. So I don’t know how exactly that would be handled in the licensing.

Shadewing

Citizen
My ideal, will never ever happen, Spider-Gwen Movie would use the Amazing Cast, just because I like the idea that a Live Action Spider-Gwen origin movie would kinda be a Mirror-verse version of Amazing Spider-Man 1.

Spider-Gwen feels like the perfect character for Sony to focus on; She's a highly popular character, she's already in her own universe, You Don't need to write around if Peter Parker/Spider-Man exists or not. Can still explore a version of his Rogue's gallery but with various twists. But that would require someone with brains in charge of the Sony SPider-Man universe.

Top Bottom