Sony's Spider-Man Universe

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
All three Spider-Man "Home" movies were Sony/Marvel Studios co-productions.

Co-productions, yes... but creatively all three Spider-Man films were 100% Marvel and Kevin Feige. I actually really appreciate how well all three "Home" films flowed together, giving Spider-Man a unique origin tied in to Iron Man, but by the end of the trilogy, he's become the more traditional solo Spider-Man we're used to. And it managed to honor and even expand the previous two series of Spider-Man films at the same time. Very well done, all around. It deserves to be up there with the great trilogies of our time.

All the other Sony "Spider-Man" Universe films are creatively driven by Sony, and it shows (though I enjoyed the first Venom well enough as a bit of fun).

If Sony were smart they'd keep letting Marvel do the heavy lifting and just stick to collecting the profits. They can focus instead on what they do best: remastering their (rather impressive) back catalog of classic films in 4K.

Last edited:

Cradok

Citizen
Venom was only as good as it was because I don't think Sony were taking it seriously, it was just contractual obligation. Once that was a success, people in suits took notice. Same thing with Deadpool, nobody at Fox was really paying attention to it until it made them so much money.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Okay, going to be completely honest here. After watching No Way Home, I've been on a bit of a Spiderman kick. So remembering how completely awesome Spiderman 2 (extended cut here) was, I decided to watch it again I'm half an hour in and finding it extremely hard to stomach all the "look how pathetic Peter Parkers life is" stuff. I think my nostalgia goggles was remembering all the Doc Ock fight scenes and completely forgot about the Peter Parker stuff...cause I'm struggling here.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's his thing though. He's not a billionaire and nobody knows who he is. The people he's protecting just notice that he's letting him down all the time, and he can't explain why. It's hard to even get proper thanks while on the job, because Spider-Man is the target of an active defamation campaign.

Give him a break and you're no longer making a Spider-Man movie.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Yeah, Stan Lee even went on record saying that he felt he didn't make Peter suffer enough in the comics, that he wished he could have made him suffer even more than he already did.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Oh, I understand that. It was just difficult to watch. It was like a sit-com just seeing how much fate could possibly dump on the guy...then go and dump on him even more. It was just painful to watch.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's why it hits so hard when he decides he can't give up being Spider-Man. He knows how much hell he's signing up for in his personal life when he puts the mask back on.

That movie was Batman Forever done right.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
And why it's always so relieving whenever we see his love interest at the time finally learn of his identity as Spider-Man, finally understanding why Peter always kept letting them down.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
So, it seems Sony has found an /even more/ obscure character then Morbius to make a movie of:

giphy.gif

While I’m not “up” on the recent expansions to the Spider-verse these past 10-15 years….I had to google who this was.

Holy god, this guy seems to have appeared in a whopping TWO ISSUES of a series TWELVE YEARS ago?! WTF Sony?!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
And why it's always so relieving whenever we see his love interest at the time finally learn of his identity as Spider-Man, finally understanding why Peter always kept letting them down.

And it's also why Bully Maguire was cinematic gold. Fight me.

The Symbiote in Spider-Man 3 is actually a symbiote. It doesn't possess Peter. It doesn't make him turn villainous. It doesn't fill him with anger, or aggression. Peter's still a complete dork. The film wasn't trying to make him cool. He's a dork, because Peter always was a dork. The difference is the constant mountain of abuse we saw him take in Spider-Man 2 suddenly doesn't hurt him anymore. He doesn't take it. He shoves it back in people's faces. Immediately. It's a relief, and it makes him giddy. All that pressure, gone.

That's the Symbiote being an actual Symbiote. It's not aggressive. It's reactive. It thinks it's protecting its host by lashing out against threats, and it perceives every little thing in Peter's life to be attacking him. We can see how it would think that. It just goes too far, because it responds to absolutely everything.

It only works because we saw how much abuse Peter normally takes without responding.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, Stan Lee even went on record saying that he felt he didn't make Peter suffer enough in the comics, that he wished he could have made him suffer even more than he already did.
Oh, I don't think I could take that. You can only do so much before it just gets depressing.

That's why I hated that they violated the marriage. For all the crap Peter went through, he had that one thing going for him in his life in Mary Jane. It's something I can really appreciate.

Take that away, and... well, like I said, it just gets kind of depressing when there's no real counterbalance on that scale.

Shadewing

Citizen
giphy.gif

While I’m not “up” on the recent expansions to the Spider-verse these past 10-15 years….I had to google who this was.

Holy god, this guy seems to have appeared in a whopping TWO ISSUES of a series TWELVE YEARS ago?! WTF Sony?!

Yeah, even one of the comic reviewers I like is all 'Sony, wtf'

Shadewing

Citizen
Counterpoint: Despite being obscure, GOTG has been around since the 70's and had consistent use over the decades.

El Muerto is a somewhat lame character, with TWO issues, one of him in a wrestling match against Spider-Man and the other where Spider-Man is the one that takes out his nemesis. On one hand there isn't really anything there to work with, he's a paper thin as it gets, on the other hand; that means that can pretty much do whatever the **** they want with him.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Fair enough, but then, how many people knew about Guardians of the Galaxy before the movie?
As said, the Guardians floated around for decades. And after the successful 2008 revamp, they started to "leak" into other media. Before the film came out, Hasbro was already hitting the 2008 characters in the Marvel Heroes 3.75" line. Marvel gave them cameos in almost all the in product animated projects in 2011 and 2012.

I personally suspect someone at Sony has/had connections to a "luchadore superhero" script of some sort and somebody did a DEEP dive into their license catalog and discovered El Muerto among the myriad of characters that only appeared in a Spider-Man comic. I really do find it unfathomable to think there was a die hard El Muerto fan that somehow got Sony's attention to get a film of this level produced.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
that means that can pretty much do whatever the **** they want with him.
That's where the potential for this to be their best one of these comes from -- there's practically nothing to ruin, and no one's going to care if they change something from the comic.

Top Bottom