Sony's Spider-Man Universe

Echowarrior

Citizen
Doesn't matter the qualities of the movies they got. they're still lesser known properties that almost no one would know about, that still got a chance to shine and became popular. Almost nobody remembers the Ironman TV show except that the first season was trash. So he has about the same level of recognition you say Madam Web has. Same as with Morbius; I doubt anyone would know he exists without the 90's cartoon. I'd also say the same of Doctor Strange, even though he had a pretty good animated movie from the Lionsgate years. I'm pretty sure the only reason people care about him is becuase they cast one of the most popular actors to play him. The fact that their execution might not hit the mark, doesn't change the fact that Sony and Marvel are both taking chances on rather obscure characters and properties. You can't give Sony guff for trying to give other Spider-Man adjacent characters a chance, when Marvel does the same with their lesser known properties as well.

The quality of the films is definitely helping. Yes, Marvel took a chance on both GotG and Shang-Chi, but had those films not had characters that were compelling and relatable, with genuinely good stories besides, then the films wouldn't have been as successful as they were.

I have nothing against Sony giving lesser-known characters a chance. That's pretty much all they can do, unfortunately. But if the characters don't register with the audiences, and if the story isn't good, then it's not going to make a mark.

Shadewing

Citizen
The quality of the films is definitely helping. Yes, Marvel took a chance on both GotG and Shang-Chi, but had those films not had characters that were compelling and relatable, with genuinely good stories besides, then the films wouldn't have been as successful as they were.

I have nothing against Sony giving lesser-known characters a chance. That's pretty much all they can do, unfortunately. But if the characters don't register with the audiences, and if the story isn't good, then it's not going to make a mark.

It helps in the aftermath, but it doesn't help before the movie releases. Back when GOTG was announced, people thought it was going to be Marvel's first big flop; the team with the furry and talking tree? How are they going to make that good? You get similar kinds of discourse. And this was basically when Marvel Studios could do no wrong, and people still had their doubts about this nobody space team that can't even hold a book. So the fact the the movie ends up good, doesn't matter when they're choosing who to make a film or series about. It feels like retconning when you go "well that movie was good" as if the film being good justifies the decision. Nobody really sets out to make a bad movie. Nobody goes "Hey lets do this character, but ensure its as lame as possible." Regardless what certain people think.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
When GOTG came out, Disney might have been able to get people to see Morbius and Madame Web too. GOTG wasn't must-see, but it was probably going to be entertaining, whether anyone was going to see it or not. Enough people were willing to take a chance on it, because there was an expectation that it couldn't be horrible.

With Sony's not Spider-Man, not Venom movies, the expectation is meh.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Nobody really sets out to make a bad movie. Nobody goes "Hey lets do this character, but ensure its as lame as possible." Regardless what certain people think.

Maybe not. But movies made specifically before a deadline just so a company can hold onto an IP for another few years are as close as you can get.

Top Bottom