Sonic The Hedgehog

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Though, "product of it's time" seems like a proper description for most of these series.

So...I just finished the OVA. While I really liked the music, I can certainly see how it didn't get a full series. And the voices seemed really off even with the characters having various voice actors over time.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The soundtrack is really good. I think it was posted online just recently (well, within the last couple of years), too, if you like it enough for that.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Seems I was wrong so I'll edit my post. After the trailer dropped, I watched a YouTuber's comments. It seemed like the physical release option was greyed out but it could have been anything from their browser options to SEGA updating the page. At least the YouTuber deliberately went to the webpage onscreen instead of rumor mill shenanigans.

spikeriley

Citizen
Seems I was wrong so I'll edit my post. After the trailer dropped, I watched a YouTuber's comments. It seemed like the physical release option was greyed out but it could have been anything from their browser options to SEGA updating the page. At least the YouTuber deliberately went to the webpage onscreen instead of rumor mill shenanigans.

And worst off, it seems Sonic is the only one playable, which proves Sega of Japan has not learned from their mistakes with games like Sonic Forces and is not listening to fans who want Tails, Amy, and other characters to be playable.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Went to Gamestop to preorder Frontiers on Ps5 and they...didn't have it available for preorder. The young lady even said their website didnt have it. Weird.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
And worst off, it seems Sonic is the only one playable, which proves Sega of Japan has not learned from their mistakes with games like Sonic Forces and is not listening to fans who want Tails, Amy, and other characters to be playable.
While I figure this is probably the case, it's possible that freeing Tails and Amy could open them up to being playable.

In other words, I wouldn't jump the gun and assume it yet, but I'm also going with a healthy amount of skepticism there.

spikeriley

Citizen
While I figure this is probably the case, it's possible that freeing Tails and Amy could open them up to being playable.

In other words, I wouldn't jump the gun and assume it yet, but I'm also going with a healthy amount of skepticism there.

Yeah, it would be cool if the two were playable (even if it's for a few levels each to make use of their unique abilities).

Sorry for the worry post. I am trying not to get my hopes up with this game like I did Sonic Forces.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
& Knuckles.

The Digital Deluxe on the Steam page has "Amy's Memory Tokens, Knuckles' Memory Tokens, Tails' Memory Tokens" listed among the things you get, his voice actor confirmed that he's returning for this game, and there's prequel animation coming for Frontiers that's starring Knuckles.

I will say that though I'm managing expectations, I've got a sneaking suspicion they will be playable either after you rescue them or as a new game+. Or as DLC, since the Steam page mentions "This game may be updated over time, and have paid for and free additional content released for it". They're keeping things close to the chest with this game.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
& Knuckles.

The Digital Deluxe on the Steam page has "Amy's Memory Tokens, Knuckles' Memory Tokens, Tails' Memory Tokens" listed among the things you get, his voice actor confirmed that he's returning for this game, and there's prequel animation coming for Frontiers that's starring Knuckles.

I will say that though I'm managing expectations, I've got a sneaking suspicion they will be playable either after you rescue them or as a new game+. Or as DLC, since the Steam page mentions "This game may be updated over time, and have paid for and free additional content released for it". They're keeping things close to the chest with this game.
Ah! I hadn't seen that.

Tails and Knuckles as playables would be a smart play, if only to ride off the movie's momentum.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
While most of the current news is about the Sonic Frontiers demo at Gamescom, I'm wondering if anyone knows how the second movie is doing in Japan.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Perhaps but there's two things. Sonic's more popular in America than Japan. But more importantly, by crossing 439 million Sonic 2 now is the highest grossing videogame movie in the world.

Out of curiosity, where do you get your box office numbers? The places I was looking weren't showing Japan.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Box Office Mojo. It was the only place I could find the number at all. However they were delayed in getting Sonic 2's numbers a few weeks, so it could be doing better than we think.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Went to Gamestop to preorder Frontiers on Ps5 and they...didn't have it available for preorder. The young lady even said their website didnt have it. Weird.

This might be the reason why you couldn't preorder Sonic Frontiers. Best Buy and Gamestop have a steelbook case as a preorder bonus. My bet is they hadn't 100% finalized the deal, yet. I bet if you try tomorrow, they'll be able to find it.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Started Sonic Underground and things are interesting. The songs in the episodes are harmless and without lyrics some of them are a simple remix away from working as game music. There are two things that are standing out to me so far. First, while I often hear of Sleet & Dingo being compared to Scratch & Grounder (or Decoe & Bocoe or Orbot & Cubot), I feel that they're distinctly different. I like them but as mercenaries they have distinctly different motives than robots made by Robotnik. Second, while I find Robotnik himself kinda boring, I'm intrigued by the worldbuilding surrounding him. The "playground for the rich" element has already gotten a lot of story mileage so far.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
First, while I often hear of Sleet & Dingo being compared to Scratch & Grounder (or Decoe & Bocoe or Orbot & Cubot), I feel that they're distinctly different. I like them but as mercenaries they have distinctly different motives than robots made by Robotnik.
This is probably meant more in that they're like the typical bumbling henchman duo archetype, of which the many iterations of Sonic seem particularly fond.

Bebop and Rocksteady, Guts Man and Cut Man, Hack and Slash, Squatt and Baboo... I had more in mind right up until I started typing this out, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Top Bottom