Sonic The Hedgehog

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
They really are, like according to Ian Flynn: Team Dark doesn't offically exist; they're not friends and they're barely co-workers according to Sonic Team. Something Ian himself has said he has issue with.

I wonder if Sonic Team is slowly changing its mind on some things in the canon. Apparently, the TailsTube episode where it mentioned that humans live on the mainland while the antropomorphic characters live on islands was foreshadowed on Ian Flynn's podcasts via a comment of "don't worry about Two Worlds anymore". Considering Flynn is involved in increasingly more of the franchise and the previous writer team is out, opinions may be shifting. As Fnu mentioned upthread, it's been longer from now to 2006 than it was from Sonic 06's release to the first Sonic game.

In this time of doing deep dives, I keep running into "Sonic's stupid friends" and "Sonic was never good" YouTube. Well, technically running into fan rebuttals of those comments (especially the former). I didn't realize how much I missed over the years.

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
I wonder if Sonic Team is slowly changing its mind on some things in the canon. Apparently, the TailsTube episode where it mentioned that humans live on the mainland while the antropomorphic characters live on islands was foreshadowed on Ian Flynn's podcasts via a comment of "don't worry about Two Worlds anymore". Considering Flynn is involved in increasingly more of the franchise and the previous writer team is out, opinions may be shifting. As Fnu mentioned upthread, it's been longer from now to 2006 than it was from Sonic 06's release to the first Sonic game.

In this time of doing deep dives, I keep running into "Sonic's stupid friends" and "Sonic was never good" YouTube. Well, technically running into fan rebuttals of those comments (especially the former). I didn't realize how much I missed over the years.
Yeeeah there were some... Interesting times during the early 2000's, post Adventure, pre Unleashed, and all was angst and Shadow with a gun.

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
Yeah, with a few exceptions, there were some really cool ideas in 2k6, but the thing that scarred everyone wasn't so much the conceptual content, but the incredible apathy apparent in the release of such a fundamentally broken game.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I still think he should have just stayed dead. But after they decided not to do that, Sonic 06 was the next best thing to do with him.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I've never seen anyone that didn't like Mephiles.

*meekly raises hand*

Or I guess, let me explain myself. A lot of my interaction with Sonic for the past 15 or so years has been at a distance. I've never played Sonic '06 and while I knew about some of discourse surrounding the game at the time, most of my opinions of the game are through watching recent retrospectives. I do think Mephiles works quite well for the story being told for Shadow and Silver, I'm just usually not a fan of time travel arcs and visually he seems like an attempt at a more overdone Shadow. And I was the odd fan who wasn't initially sold on Shadow's visual design. Shadow did have a great story in Sonic Adventure 2 but his self titled game earned a massive eyeroll from me upon seeing it.

The way 06 has tarnished the franchise's image may be noteworthy but I believe Sonic 4 is more deserving of open scorn. I was in way closer proximity to the reactions at the time as some friends I recently met bought the game and despised the physics. Even worse since it was made by Dimps and after Sonic Advance (and a lot more), they should've known how to program 2D Sonic.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Yeah, Shadow's solo game did a LOT more harm than good. But at its core, I blame neither Sega nor Sonic Team as much as I blame the ridiculously depressing "grim and gritty edgy angst" trend that a LOT of emo teenagers were into back in the 2000s.

Sure, Sega and Sonic Team were foolish to try to cash in on that trend, but if it hadn't been a thing in the first place, Shadow's game may have faired better.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I still think he should have just stayed dead. But after they decided not to do that, Sonic 06 was the next best thing to do with him.
I mean, there is that, but as long as he's here...

Given I absolutely loved him in the Archie books and '06 (and I guess Forces), though, I am glad he came back.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Read Sonic 50.

He better not be dead.

Funny but the other fights are better / more interesting than Sonic vs Surge.

Edit - wait, there's a Bumblekast saying he IS dead?!?! No way!!!

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I guess it was mostly on his Discord, but yeah...
Here's Ian saying he's dead.
(21:30)
Harsh, Ian, harsh...

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I guess it was mostly on his Discord, but yeah, here's Ian saying he's dead.
(21:30)

Harsh, Ian, harsh...
NooooOOOoooo!!!! Whyyyyyy!!! He is awesome!!! And he dies in such a boring way.

Maybe Mimic will get into his tech and some program will activate and takeover his body. Gruesome but he did try to prepare for every eventuality. Then he'll be back in a slimy, octopus-y, upgraded shapeshift-y body? Please?

Last edited:

Top Bottom