Sonic The Hedgehog

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I had forgotten Paramount owned Nickelodeon. It makes even more sense that they're greenlighting a cinematic universe off a family movie.
Yeah, Paramount's one of the Big 3 of family cable channel owners. Paramount has Nickelodeon, Disney has Disney Channel, and Warner Bros. has Cartoon Network.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Box office update. Maybe the last one until the movie opens in Japan.

It's over. The new arrivals of Top Gun and Bob's Burgers have finally pushed Sonic 2 down to #6 for the weekend. It is impressive that at this point Sonic 2 still could have survived a new movie and remained on the leader board, but two at once was finally too much.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
The Bad Guys would probably be closer competition as far as content (and goes to the earlier conversation about Dreamworks and Disney) but I think it didn't really make a dent in Sonic 2's earnings. That said, The Bad Guys is actually still in theaters so it's holding on, too.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Bad Guys has been the most direct comparison, and is still in the top 5. However, if you adjust for their different release dates and compare their respective opening weekends, second weekends, etc, Sonic 2 crushed it.

Shadewing

Citizen
While Bad Guys is another Kids/Family Film, its a new IP; while Bob's Burger is a family film from an established franchise, that people still like and the movie seems to actually carry all the same charm of the TV show. While its less a Kid's film then Sonic or Bad Guys; Bob's Burgers is still the kinda movie you could take kids too; much like the Simpsons' Movie.

Though there is some charm in the fact that Top Gun, another Paramount project where they placed Story over everything else, is one of the movies to knock Sonic off the leader board.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Box office update. Maybe the last one until the movie opens in Japan.

It's over. The new arrivals of Top Gun and Bob's Burgers have finally pushed Sonic 2 down to #6 for the weekend. It is impressive that at this point Sonic 2 still could have survived a new movie and remained on the leader board, but two at once was finally too much.
That it's streaming now probably didn't help matters.

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen

So... How likely you guys think it is that any of this will be in the final game?

Like, it looks like it could be fun.

I am having terrible 2006 flashbacks, though.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
For Sonic Frontiers....I'm definitely waiting for some reviews, to see if they screw it up first. When you manage to botch a port of Colors, you don't get the benefit of the doubt. (I know that was technically handled by a different studio, but it still doesn't look good.)

Sega's actually overdue for a good Sonic game. They usually have one per decade or so. And Mania wasn't technically the main team. The last good one was probably Generations back in 2011. And they've taken their time on this one. So...fingers crossed!

Mind you, Sonic Origins is also coming out the same time as Frontiers (flashbacks to Mania and Forces), and despite the backlash to the DLC/preorder plan, I actually expect Origins to be pretty great, once it releases (and the physical version comes out). So...hopefully Frontiers won't compare horribly to the 2D game.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I want to believe. Sonic is riding high at the moment. This is exactly the right time to release a good game if they can.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I thought Frontiers was near the end of the year while Origins is June. Unless I'm wrong, which isn't impossible since I've been playing catch up over the past month.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
There might not have been humans on screen but Knuckles was returning Maddie's library books.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
And, almost immediately after the second trailer, we get a couple of first looks at Frontiers from IGN.
That second video should work tomorrow, I guess.

No menus or anything. So, I wonder what all the items do.

Last edited:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I don't like the music. Feels like a weird critique and the music isn't bad but it makes the world feel empty. And if that's the intent, I'm not sure it's a good idea for a Sonic game.

I'm otherwise intrigued by the world but need info with substance for that.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Part of me wonders if there's going to be more islands. Like a "fire" island and a "ice" island. Because this area seems big, but not SUPER massive. And the "first level" of Sonic games being the grass level is such a tradition at this point.

And there must be some sort of leveling system in play, if the attacks are any indication. I suppose that's what the "crystals" the enemies drop do. Makes me wonder what the..."fruit" (the red things you get for beating puzzles) does. Looks like Rings are still health.

It's looking passable, but not really that impressive, right now. But, they might be hiding away the best parts of the game. And there's still that story that Ian Flynn wrote for this to look forward to (if they didn't butcher it like with Forces script).

Top Bottom