Sonic The Hedgehog

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I would’ve thought Who Framed Roger Rabbit popularized that concept.
That depicted the cartoon characters and their animated town as native to the live-action human world. Toontown wasn't a separate world/universe, it was just one of many cities in the California of the live-action real world, but with the unique quality of being a cartoon-like animated city in said real world. You could see glimpses of Toontown from the Maroon Cartoon Studios, as they were pretty near to each other. And the Acme Corporation factory sits right next to Toontown, right on the property border between the live-action and animated parts of the world.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I mean, if we want to go WAY back, even Gertie the Dinosaur was originally a stage show, with Winsor McCay giving Gertie "commands" as part of the performance. And Disney's own Alice Comedies entire gimmick was a real human girl living in a world of cartoons. And Betty Boop interacted with her "Uncle Max" a few times in her shorts.

Toons and Humans have been interacting with each other basically since the inception of the medium.

And, if we want to talk about the oldest Isekai ever...it depends on if you count "hero journeying to the underworld" myths, but it might just be The Epic of Gilgamesh, which I believe has the distinction of being one of the earliest, if not THE earliest, myths we have a record remaining. Isekai is baked into humanity's bones.

Last edited:

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Fat Albert and Enchanted did it too.
I had no idea there was a Fat Albert movie. But you're probably on to something with the Enchanted comparison. That might be what got people to see it as a cliché premise; it was even set in New York just like The Smurfs was.

But yeah I'm specifically talking about the wave (some would say plague) of reimaginings of classic cartoons. Come to think of it, The Smurfs was really the first time the cartoon they wanted to adapt wasn't already set in some pastiche of the real world with upwards of one human supporting cast member. Scooby Doo, Garfield, Yogi Bear, Underdog, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and of course Transformers were kind of tailor-made for lazy live-action adaptations. Ironically, so was Rocky and Bullwinkle, so the "sucked out of TV land" thing was purely a creative decision in that case.

And on that note, Sonic ending up in "the human world" isn't even limited to Sonic X; it's happened in multiple games as well. Not good games, mind you. Oh man, can you imagine if they decided to make Soleanna canon to the Sonic movieverse? I could just about believe they could make it work.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Not necessarily Sonic-specific news, but Dr. Eggman's voice actor Mike Pollock appears to be the current narrator of TV commercials for IHOP.

Watching TV the past few days and every time an IHOP commercial comes on I hear Dr. Eggman talking about pancakes and burgers.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
SEGA ought to do some random partnerships and let him do commercials like this fully in character. I can hear Eggman talking about IHOP's latest, greatest special.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Not necessarily Sonic-specific news, but Dr. Eggman's voice actor Mike Pollock appears to be the current narrator of TV commercials for IHOP.

Watching TV the past few days and every time an IHOP commercial comes on I hear Dr. Eggman talking about pancakes and burgers.
This ^

I'm going to be disappointed if Sonic 2 isn't proportionally tied to Sonic Restaurants again. The name is right there and they serve Chili Dogs and could make special Slush flavors color coded to Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. Who do we need to get on for Marketing failures here?

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Probably just the movies, but I don't think anyone would mind too much if you want to bring up something else sonic related.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I feel like it'll eventually just become the catch-all Sonic thread. No real need to make a new topic since Sonic at its core is still a game franchise.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In that case, since it's relevant: tried to unlock the Special Stage Time Trisls in Sonic CD earlier. Here's how that went:

Top Bottom