Sonic The Hedgehog

Shadewing

Citizen
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Omelette was a catalyst for Sage. Since Flynn worked on this, and he has a habit of turning random ideas into characters. Starline being based on a glitch from Knuckles Chaotix as an example.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Excellent news!

I'm at the final boss and had to take a break as it was making my hands and eyes hurt. (The Hard Mode one)

Shadewing

Citizen
I'd be fine with them just skipping the rest and going straight to 3, but Sega has said tese will all be free updates.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Beat the game last night! Real fun times!

Turns out I died right at the transition into the final QTE the previous night. Damn.

Im a little bummed we didnt get a meaning for that symbol we kept seeing since the first teaser trailer. Felt like they were ramping up to it but no.

Glad to see Sage has "survived" the encounter with The End. I wonder if its an older backup before her character development. Im sure the 3rd wave of DLC will deal with that.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Beat the game last night! Real fun times!

Beat the game just now.

Looking to see where things progress from here in the plot. Sage is "alive"/reconstructed after the final battle. Sonic's friends have new purpose. While the Chaos Emeralds are stated to be from space, there's still a lot that's unknown about them and they maintained plenty of mystery with the Master Emerald.

With it complete, I agree with reviews that say it's a solid 7-8 out of 10 but not perfect. It makes me wonder how they'll shift the formula for the sequel or even the DLC. I will say most of the difficulty felt right. I'm an average player who made it through with limited help and completed the game with the save file at 33 hours without 100 percenting the cyberspace levels. Now, I heard supposedly there's a secret final boss. I don't know if that's something different than the QTE against The End but unlike some Last Story segments in Sonic, the ending feels complete from what I saw. And I don't have to be so on guard when looking at Sonic stuff on YouTube.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
There IS a Secret Final Boss...but it's a little underwhelming. You can just set the game to "Hard" in the options right before you start the fight against Supreme to get it.

Spoilers for the Secret Boss:
It's basically a shmup fight like Radiant Silvergun against a giant moon. Like a MUCH harder version of the hacking minigames you play a few times in the main game. The only interesting part you miss by skipping this part is The End's rant while you're shooting at it.

The Rant:
"Mortal, you have served your purpose. Now face your end. I am the all-consuming void. What can one mote of golden light illuminate within the abyss? Countless stars. Countless worlds. Countless lives. All fell to me, all brought to nothing. All the teeming chaos of creation? Brought to order. To neutrality. To nothing. I saw your mind as you ran through my prison. You have fought machines and gods. They were mighty? They were finite. I am infinite. I am nothing. You struggle as so many have done before. You will be consumed like all those before you. I saw your mind. Your courage never wavered. Why? Arrogance? Ignorance? Stupidity? I was contained once. Once. Is that why? My captors bent time and space. My captors built a whole reality to contain me. My captors burn their souls away to fuel their engines. And you? You glitter; you fly about me like a gnat. I am inevitable, I cannot be denied. You strike this incarnation with all your might. It changes nothing. You are not brave; you are not victorious. No matter what form I take... The End comes for you all!"

It's just kind of interesting that they seem to be setting up The End as a force of Order to oppose the Chaos Emeralds ("Brought to order"). And that maybe Infinite from Forces MIGHT be tied to The End...somehow ("I am infinite"). Maybe along with the Phantom Ruby.

After the shmup fight the Quick Time Event and ending seems to play out the same way in both the Hard and Normal modes.

Last edited:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Pending on your tastes, yeah. Personally, I liked the second Super Sonic fight the best.

The only interesting part you miss by skipping this part is The End's rant while you're shooting at it.

In ways, I get the feeling that The End is more or less a sentient black hole but actually evil instead of just an occurrence. It represents the void of space and nothingness. But does this mean that the Chaos Emeralds are entities of life and thus it's antitheses? In a way, it would explain being able to trap and then defeat The End. Especially since what the Chaos Emeralds do is create miracles. What really intrigues me is, if this is true, what does this mean for the other important gems in the series (Master Emerald, Sol Emeralds, Time Stones, Arcs of the Cosmos, Phantom Ruby)?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
It might not be a black hole, but it might be a Final Fantasy reference in a round about way. The spell "Meteor" is often treated as the "Ultimate Black Magic" in those games. So, maybe it's kind of a yin-yang thing. The End is aggressive and destructive. The Chaos Emeralds/Force is passive and creative (you usually have to FIND the Chaos Emeralds, they don't usually go out of control on their own).

Maybe, "the darkness that existed before creation" would be a better way to think of The End? "The Nothingness that resents the existence of Existence itself"? We really don't know much about The End, so all we've got is the Rant and speculation.

The Phantom Ruby MIGHT be connected to The End. I'm only saying that because Infinite's red powers MIGHT have some connection. Plus...Rubies could be the opposite of Emeralds...sort of?

And I'd say they're hinting that Chaos=Life, yeah. Absolute order to The End seems to mean killing every living thing in the universe (I guess). So, I guess Chaos is probably the opposite of that?

They're hinting at a lot of lore in this game, but they don't really go into full detail. The 7 colored Chaos Emeralds are from another planet, but the Master Emerald was always on Earth.

(*Puts on his baseless speculation hat*) Maybe they're trying to hint that each planet in the universe produces some sort of gemstone that contains the power of that world? A "Heart of the World"? A special gemstone that forms on every single planet that contains the..."magic" of that planet? The 7 Colored Emeralds might not even be from the same planet. It's possible each Chaos Emerald came from a different planet that were all destroyed by The End.

Maybe at the center of each planet is a gemstone? That would be a way to connect all the gemstones without getting them TOO connected....They're all just created by the "Will of the Planet" or something. So the Sol Emeralds would just be the gemstones formed on Blaze's World. The Time Stones would be the "heartstones" of Little Planet. And so on. Kind of like the different Shockwave Ores from IDW's Transformers Phase 1.

But, honestly, Frontiers doesn't give us enough information to even really guess where they're going with it. They do seem to have SOME idea of what they want to do with it, though. Maybe they're trying to get in on that good ol' Kirby-Lore-level fan-speculation?

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Oh, YouTube made it so you can't "save for later" at all on videos like that now. How incredibly stupid.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
So in the alternate universe where Sonic doesn't save Tails from bullies, Tails turns himself into Doctor Octopus. Eh, it checks out.

But, honestly, Frontiers doesn't give us enough information to even really guess where they're going with it. They do seem to have SOME idea of what they want to do with it, though. Maybe they're trying to get in on that good ol' Kirby-Lore-level fan-speculation?

It is entirely possible that this is mainly meant to get the fanbase talking as opposed to answering questions. Though, "The Nothingness that resents the existence of Existence itself"? feels right for The End.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Sonic Prime hit Netflix today and I just finished binge-watching the first batch of episodes. It was very fun and completely self-indulgent in the whole "Sonic travels the multiverse" concept. And with how serialized it is, it almost feels like a long movie.

The voice acting is top notch. Devin Mack fully captures the spirit of Roger Craig Smith's Sonic, as does Brian Drummond capture Mike Pollock's Dr. Eggman. The biggest surprise for me was Big the Cat. Ian Hanlin gives him an appropriately deep-sounding voice and a fittingly easygoing personality, but this version of Big is not a big, dumb, one-trick pony. He's actually fully part of Sonic's group of friends and proves himself to be very helpful and useful when he needs to be.

The one character I'm still not too sure about is Shadow (that's not a spoiler, he was in the trailers). He seems a bit too overly hostile and always angry, suffering from same one-note rut his game counterpart is currently still stuck in. But, hopefully there will be more to him in later episodes to come, since he hasn't been able to do much so far. And, funnily enough, he's also voiced by Hanlin, meaning Shadow and Big share the same voice actor.

Shadewing

Citizen
So far I like of what I see of Shadow, he's got a reason to be angry at Sonic, he's not just emo and angsty for no reason. And he comes off being the sorta oppisite of Sonic in personality. This Sonic is very much running on impulse (pun noted) acting way before thinking. Shadow in what I've seen so far is more tactical. Right now it feels the biggest reason they are at odds is becuase Sonic can't just stop or slow down and talk. And Shadow seems to know this. So to me, so far, it feels like Shadow knows he needs to knock some sense into Sonic before he'll actually listen.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Yay, Eggman called Tails a mutant freak! Wait.

But yeah, I like where they're going with Shadow. It feels like he has a reason for his anger yet also seems to be guiding Sonic. The bigger surprise for me was Rusty Rose. Roboticized Amy as the villains' top enforcer was not what I was expecting. And there's been signs that she might gain self awareness separate from her programming.

Also, I got to hand it to them with the fight choreography. No matter how fast paced it is, you can cleanly track what's going on.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Sonic doesn't seem very quick on the uptake here compared to other incarnations. To me, at least.

Top Bottom