Sonic The Hedgehog

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I'm actually amazed Linkara said it was an okay comic with some genuinely neat stuff in it. I was expecting a train wreck of mediocrity.
Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? In order to be a train wreck, surely it has to be a lot worse than just mediocre.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Imagine having one of the loosest borders in the world and still having to import a foreign-language version of a product from overseas because you can't get the one in your own language from across said border.

Canada, are y'all OK?

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
TailsTube #3

While not as much brand new information, it does have some nice character interaction (and foreshadowing). It's known that the Frontiers prologue animation (starring Knuckles) and the next Twitter takeover are coming in the next few weeks.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Considering the "Team Dark doesn't actually exist" statement, Team Dark still gets mentioned in various things. Picked up one of the 4 inch action figures today and it outright states Rogue is the leader of Team Dark. Granted, since Rogue, Shadow, and Omega were in Sonic Forces, restrictions on Team Dark might just be a comic thing. Possibly some lingering scorched earth over Ken Penders and Archie.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Sign up for the Sonic Frontiers newsletter and receive free DLC like the Soap shoes from SA2. While I've always thought they looked dumb, it's neat that they're using them as a reward.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Okay, if they drop an entire mode that knocks of monster hunter, that might be enough to get me to buy sonic frontiers.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
It bombed in Japan as far as I can tell.
Replying to this here instead of in the Mario movie thread. Disappointing but mildly unsurprising. Sonic is less popular in Japan than America but the more fascinating thing is the mirror of what we discussed previously. While our release got breathing room against heavy competition, in Japan it was up against summer blockbusters and some of the other family movies. What I'm curious about is why they chose to delay it.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I wonder if there's also a difference between what audiences in the two countries want out of a Sonic movie, or a movie in general. How well did the first movie do? I could absolutely see Japanese audiences not being receptive to the generic "live-action/CG revival of a famous cartoon" formula the way Americans are, even in cases like this where it's done decently.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
While Japan did (and Sonic Team themselves had major input), Sonic X was still animated. Japan has a higher appreciation for animation than USA so it's fully possible they simply weren't interested in the format while casual fans here would prefer something more "realistic".

And the date is still worth noting. By the time the movie had released in Japan, it had already had released on both streaming and physical media here. The bigger Sonic fans might have imported the movie already and/or pirated it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
And, from what I recall hearing, Sonic X was apparently more popular/successful outside of Japan than inside.

And that's even despite the edits 4Kids had to make to it in adherence to FOX's broadcast standards and practices for children's television.

Top Bottom