Skyrim! Because all the really good stuff never actually leaves.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Figures. I suspect I may have been remembering the stagecoaches in Red Dead Redemption or something.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

This is already controversial, but it sounds like a good deal for creators who are making truly high quality mods.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
It already sort of existed in the form of the Creation Club, so this is just the next step. Starfield is supposed to get it too so this will probably be the way forward for ES6 as well.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
And given some statements made in regards to fallout 4 getting a massive update itself, probably there too.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You gotta love Bethesda's long term commitment to their games. Sure it's obviously easy money for them. Way easier than actually making another game. But not everyone wants to move on to the shiny new thing every year. I'm sure we've all had a game we'd play forever if we didn't eventually run out of content. Now we don't have to run out of content.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Nice to see the update fixed a bunch of long-standing game bugs as well. I have, however, spotted one or two new bugs (the barkeep outfit worn by male tavern owners now has an unsightly gap at the top of the boots).

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
That touches on a problem I've noticed with people doing YouTube essays on various aspects of Skyrim, but using footage of heavily-modded games. One guide to the Daedric Princes I watched recently used footage of Daedric shrines from a mod, which lead to the issue that a bunch of the shrines did not match any in-game depictions of the Daedric Prince they were supposedly representing.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I think it's saying something that the reason Skyrim is still played today is simply because the bulk of the players have modded it to be almost unrecognizable from the vanilla game.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
That touches on a problem I've noticed with people doing YouTube essays on various aspects of Skyrim, but using footage of heavily-modded games. One guide to the Daedric Princes I watched recently used footage of Daedric shrines from a mod, which lead to the issue that a bunch of the shrines did not match any in-game depictions of the Daedric Prince they were supposedly representing.
That tells me that either these video essayists are just swiping other people's footage, or they have their own games so heavily modded that they've lost track of what is and isn't part of a mod anymore—assuming they ever bothered to play the vanilla game in the first place.

I have issues with the idea of any game being evaluated based on its viability as a mod platform rather than its actual merits as a game, to say nothing of the business model. I know if I were in the game making business, I wouldn't feel right knowing people were paying me money for the privilege of playing other people's content that they made for free.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Yeah, because now you can charge people money for the privilege of playing other people's content that they are also now selling, AND get a piece of the money that those other people get as well.

It's like if Steam charged you a one-time fee to use it. Or Apple... wait, that's called buying an iPhone, n/m.

Plus you don't have to rush patches because other people will make the (unofficial) patches for you, and pay you to do it!

The funny thing is that absent mods, the whacky lore is the main thing Elder Scrolls has going for it, and I don't know if Skyrim would have been as popular among the masses if it was more like Morrowind in the world-building department.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I mean, it's also a 12 year old game. There's been plenty of time for the world to both play and finish the vanilla experience.

And with no offense to pocket: most game devs do not care how you play the game, so long as you paid for it. Except the fun pimps, they seem to take great joy in going "Nooooo, you're playing it wroooooong" and then patching out behaviors that made stuff more random, exploitable and unpredictable.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Not really Skyrim, but since the Elder Scrolls general thread it looks like was lot somewhere in the board resets, I figured I might as well post it here. I scratch-built a mage tower (though it's more of a three floor fort) in ESO end of last year, and finally got around to putting together a gallery. I should do a video tour at some point but don't know when that will be.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Just about everyone does.

Like, remember how everyone was complaining about the Lion King remake, how everyone was modeled and rendered so realistically they were utterly incapable of emoting? That's the Khajiit in a nutshell. Designed by someone who was so sure just making them look exactly like a real cat from the neck up was the right thing to do in a game where the humans are also made to be realistic.

Top Bottom