She-Hulk Disney+ Series

Shadewing

Citizen
The fact that they couldn't be bothered to actual research the genre the show was supposed to be (This is fact, they've admitted that), make up a plot solely so they can tell said plot to **** off (See above), and then make Jen into a big Hypocrite for just accepting an ending she likes handed to her is the exact opposite of 'well written' in my book. I liked this series, despite it's flaws; till that finale. It might fit Comics She-Hulk, but hey this isn't comics She-Hulk and other then talking to the camera occasionally, showed no ability to actually effect the 4th wall and change reality. Until she suddenly could, because 'comics'. Unlike Comics where she was doing stuff like that practically every issue. A well written show would have incorporated that from the start with them playing with medium in various ways in each episode, other then maybe that one time she forced a 'previously on'.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The thing about the incel plot is that as a funny throw away satire, it was funny. The problem is they leaned a bit too heavy into it to the point of going from funny "ha ha" to their obsessive insecurities showing through the cracks with a side of "This is how I think incels act when they're together probably." which is despite the general attitudes, is nothing close to the actual points they at least try to make (most of them bad). I think I already said something similar about this.

So they took this funny throw away gimmick and ran it into a ground that is worse than a Family Guy gag going on for too long. Not only that, they legit did it at the expense of telling ANY kind of meaningful story just to say "Haha we got you good! Take that!".

For starters, those guys don't give a shit about the message by the end of the series - most of them didn't even watch it. So who are they talking to? Second, as has already been pointed out, the lawyer aspects of the show were written the way an RPG group would improve role play a trial their characters were in.

She Hulk was supposed to be a "strong woman" archetype and she ended up being a bumbling, incompetent lawyer who couldn't do her job and was portrayed HERSELF as an actual incel.

So you can't pin this all on a bunch of loudmouths on YouTube - they didn't write the story (But they were thrilled to have starred in it).

Now as anyone here has read, I do my best to be objective on my views in everything I consume. I don't run to Twitter or YouTube to figure out what opinions I need to hold to "fit in" with whatever social circles are out there. I watch shows critically and when I like it, I say what I liked about it and when I don't like it I say that too, and say why.

As the STORY goes, it gets a 3/10 at best. Out of visuals, acting, characters, I bump that up to a 6/10. I mostly liked it because I really like the She Hulk character. But the writers and show runners here were in over their heads if they wanted to tell an engaging story that everyone would want to tune into and instead used it as a pulpit to vent their frustrations about "men!"

Shadewing

Citizen
I really hate to keep harping on this; but the series finale just feels like they wrote themselves into a corner; and had to find someway to solve everything asap.

Here's the thing; the first half of the episode really works. It's a continuation of Jen's struggle to accept herself while trying to figure out what to do next. This is the plotline she later complains to KEVIN that it's being ignored; but never gets resolved. Part of the series has been Jen struggling to accept the She-Hulk side of herself, with the Wedding episode being the first time she really wants to be She-Hulk, and can't and it annoys her. Daredevil helps her realize that with She-Hulk she can help people both in and outside of court like he does; and when she's starting to accept that; Inceligencia ***** with her, everyone sees her have her first berserker moment and she's screwed. She takes the plea deal, but admits "this doesn't feel right' even if its technically what she wanted. Her deciding to go to Emil's "which isn't running from my problems" is True, imo. We've seen that Emil's therapy group helped her previously (even if its the second weakest episode of the season) and Emil is also the only person that COULD understand what she's going through since he's also supposedly dealing with the inhibitor. Inceligencia throwing a party on Emil's land and inviting him as a guest speaker? That's coincidence, but its also last episode so some coincidence is acceptable especially with a 30~ min run time.

The moment Jen enters to find Emil, is when we reach 'WTF do we do now?'. Like, how they were portrayed in episode which is supposed to be a joke... feels like that's honestly how they wrote the last half of this episode.

"So... Jen's here... Uh... HulkKing... we need to introduce him... So... who is he?" "I don't know, I thought you knew?" "Why would I know?" "Let's just make it Todd, he's a creep. He's totally be Inceligencia's leader." "He's a creep, but he's also been kinda an ally to Jen, hasn't he? Why would he help her out if he's just gonna be the Asshole trying to tear her down?" "Who cares, we don't have the budget for anyone else."

"Fine, okay. Todd's HulkKing, so what about the Hulk Blood plotline?" "Well, in the comics Intelligencia used it to make Red Hulk." "Yeah, but William Hurt's dead, we can't use Ross." "What about if we get Betty and do Red She-Hulk, it'd be fitting right?" "I already told you, we don't have a budget for that kinda cameo... Todd wants to use it to be a Hulk himself. Kill two birds with one stone." "Hasn't that been done, many times before?" "Yeah, but it better then just leaving it open for some other production to use later."

"... Alright, well Kevin still wants us to tease the next Hulk Project." "I know! Let's really go out there. We got Blonski in the scene, he can be Abomination because he's breaking his parole for reasons... But he's still a good guy; he tries to protect Jen, who's currently powerless due to the inhibitor, from HulkKing and then Bruce just crashes through the Ceiling to fight Abomination because he thinks Blonski's the threat! We can have the big round 2 between them!" "But in Episode 2 we have Bruce saying he supports Blonski's parole and thinks he really has changed. Why would he think Blonski's immediately the bad guy? And where did he come from? How did he know Jen was here?" "Who cares?"

"Uh guys... You know Titania's actor is still under contract for one more episode?" "Just throw her in as well, make it this big epic fight to end all fights!"

"ENOUGH! You guys know how little sense ANY of this makes? What the hell does any of this have to do with the story?" "Well, why don't we have that be Jen's reaction? We'll totally homage the comics, have her get pissed at us and Kevin; let her solve things without a fight." "But we've not really done much with that other then the 'talk to camera trope.' Does it really make sense?" "Who cares, it's comic accurate so fans will eat it up." "We can also have her lampshade how stupid all this is and then clock out early. Then we can say we totally planned it because its a subversive F you to all the critics and trolls out there that's gonna hate this anyway because it stars a woman. We'll be seen as progressive and awesome."

"Yeah, sure. Whatever. Let's throw in Daredevil and Wong one last time to please people and hope they don't realize how lazy this all is."

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
For starters, those guys don't give a shit about the message by the end of the series - most of them didn't even watch it. So who are they talking to?

Everyone else?

Most targets of satire never bother with it. It’s to inform/remind the other people how stupid these people and their worldview really is.

I doubt many Nazi’s in 40’s Germany took in “The Great Dictator”.

And while yeah I thought the ending was too meta it’s also 100% true in that you can do pretty much whatever the **** you want if you can convince KEVIN. There’s no greater evidence of that then the ending they got!

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
It seems they were more concerned with trolling the audience then anything else.

I didn't realize I was supposed to be offended by any of the quotes from the show's creators in that article, until I saw the other content on that awful "Bounding Into Comics" site. Some people just don't like looking in a mirror.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I try to stay away from "news" sites that do nothing but push agendas.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
I've loved every run of she-hulk in the comics... that was not translated at all into this show. phase 4 has been horrendous

Top Bottom