She-Hulk Disney+ Series

Dvandom

Citizen
MCU Bruce is starting to get hints that maybe it wasn't the Hulking that gave him brain problems, and that whole binder was just him working through stuff he'd have had to deal with even if he'd never gotten big and green.

---Dave

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I doubt the MCU writers are that introspective about it. I will say I'm relieved that Jennifer is far closer to her classic comics counterpart than whatever shit garbage they've recently done with modern She-Hulk.

MrBlud

Citizen
Does he though?

”I lost my virginity to a girl in 1943 on a USO tour” sounds suspiciously like a rehearsed answer simply to get people to stop asking. It would also kinda be out of character since he spends the entirety of WWII being sweet on Carter. I don’t see Steve trying to court her the whole time AND having a one night stand with someone else. THEY could’ve slept together but I never really picked up that vibe.

Dvandom

Citizen
I mean, we got about five minutes of Classic She-Hulk. The original was very much the "Jen isn't behind the wheel" Savage She-Hulk. The Byrne version didn't really try to do the lawyer thing very often either, the show is closer (so far) to the 2010s "Set up a law office in a brownstone full of other weird tenants" series as far as I can tell.

---Dave

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Watching it now. Course the internet spoiled chunks of it before I got around to it which admittedly biases my views on the episode some.

I'm not sure... why... Jen even had a theory about steves virginity in the first place but it was kinda borked from the getgo considering he wasn't immediately whisked away into the armed service at all and had plenty of time after being thawed out to like.. do... people. Just kinda awkward way to get to the accident scene.

For all the praise the womens bathroom scene got it was... like it was heartwarming to see the girls immediately want to help her but also was really... odd that they immediately started to try and dress her up and do makeup but didn't even really let her explain herself before jumping to a sort of awkward assumption that she got beat up by a romantic partner. Like I dunno. I don't even think she still had injuries at that point she was just dirty and wearing soiled clothing. Not really "I got assaulted" more "I got lost in the woods. Weird leap.

Its really weird how in one scene shes walking away from some guys scared about how they are harassing her and then from her point of view she gets knocked out and wakes up in a strange bedroom and... doesn't seem that bothered by it? Like in that context I would be like "oh shit I should be running right now" instead she just kinda walks around like its no big deal. Feels like a really odd shift in tone.

Jesus Hulks writing is.. bad. Awkward and bad. why would you even call it a lethal dose of something if it wasn't a lethal dose? The ****? Also the very awkward explanation of how her blood healed his arm was just... again bad writing. Hulk is just acting super odd in this section and I can't imagine a world better dialogue couldn't be written

I know the internet bristled at the "I do it infinitely more than you" line. And... yeah its... yeah. It's kind of really bad writing again. I get that its supposed to be a commentary on the daily assault of microagressions that women are subjected to in the 'civilized' world and if she was saying it to some random person it might not land so poorly but when your saying it to the dude who spent a big chunk of his life not getting to have a life and living in actual daily fear of being captured and experimented on or people trying to murder him to the point that it drove him to try and kill himself one or more times and then exiled himself into outer space because the planet hated him... and he had to try and for the most part successfully managed to control his anger during all that. yeah no.. just no Jen. What the **** Jen. Like there are other problems with the line but no... you don't say that to Bruce Banner, thats just fucked Jen.

Oh good next scene is her acknowledging all that stuff that happened to Bruce but in an angry way that is accusatory and not self reflective. Not... not really making her likable yet. I think the problem is that its not like.. funny arrogant. Tony was arrogant but he was charming and funny with it. Jen is just kinda angry and mean.

Oh no, Tahani has become a fashion don't. This really is the bad place.

I dunno. It wasn't a terrible first episode but also like.. hopefully before the end of the series Jen has a personality outside of "acts like a dick and thinks she has it worse than everyone else"

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Does he though?

”I lost my virginity to a girl in 1943 on a USO tour” sounds suspiciously like a rehearsed answer simply to get people to stop asking. It would also kinda be out of character since he spends the entirety of WWII being sweet on Carter. I don’t see Steve trying to court her the whole time AND having a one night stand with someone else. THEY could’ve slept together but I never really picked up that vibe.
Gasp! Maybe it was an evil ploy to get access to Super Soldier DNA! Maybe Madame Hydra (?), Mother Night (?), Superia (haha) is out there now, cloning a copy of Steve's body to house Red Skull's consciousness, haha

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If there's one thing that can be said about the far left that's consistent, it's that they always obsess over who somebody is *******. Not even the paragon of virtue is safe.

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
One thing I noticed in this ep that people are talking about in terms of Emil Blonsky/Abomination.

They‘re trying to play him as sympathetic and almost a mirror to Jen. You know, having this power forced on him and how it’s sad that he’s locked up and Hulk isn’t.

But that’s not how it went in the Norton Hulk film. Blonsky saw the power of the Hulk and he wanted it. So when General Ross offers him a version of the super soldier serum to boost him, he is VERY eager. Then he gets curb stomped by the Hulk, but rapidly heals. Except now he REALLY wants the Hulks power.

So when the finally track him down and catch him, and Blonsky sees that scientist guy has some of Banners blood. He forces the guy to inject HIM with the blood. THAT’S what turns him into the Abomination.

‘’Blonsky was never coerced, he WANTED that power!

Now, devil’s advocate, MAYBE the writers know this and are deliberately setting up this reveal. But I doubt it, because I have no faith in them bothering to look it up.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well he did escape so I don't think they're trying to pawn him off as the good guy

MrBlud

Citizen
This isn’t the Star Wars sequels. They pay attention. He’s lying to her. Pretty sure those “soulmates” of his are the other Thunderbolts too so I really doubt he’s breaking good. Lame Haiku’s aside.

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
All good points. I admit I’m not really liking the show. However, we shall see how it goes.

Shadewing

Citizen
This isn’t the Star Wars sequels. They pay attention. He’s lying to her. Pretty sure those “soulmates” of his are the other Thunderbolts too so I really doubt he’s breaking good. Lame Haiku’s aside.

MCU has always had rather tight continuity. Its not flawless, nothing is, but everything is done with a reason even if we might not know what that reason is til later.

I like how a YT video I watched put it recently: MCU's timeline post endgame is like a Marvel Event comic; you get the main issues with the Movies, but the D+ series are the tie-in comics that help fill out the details.

The Abomination stuff from Shangchi was absolutely planned knowing they were doing this series. And this series seems to in part to be about solidifying that the Hulk movie is absolutely canon while possibly setting up the long rumored Planet Hulk/World War Hulk movie or series. So yeah, I expect them to have done their research for this series.

Dvandom

Citizen
Regarding the plausibility of the legal defense,
while he's probably shoveling it on a little thick, Blonsky knows his defense is PLAUSIBLE. Even if they can find the guy he forced to shoot him up with Hulk blood, he could argue that he was already out of his mind on defective Super Soldier Serum by that point, quick namecheck of Tuskegee to point out how the government does this sort of thing, and the parole board could definitely be swayed. (F&tWS also established that Super Soldier Serum redevelopment was quite Tuskegee Syphilis Trials in its progress, so even the truth would back up Blonsky.)

Basically, if he hadn't been caught sneaking out to pit fight, Blonsky had a good shot at walking. Sure, parole has requirements and isn't total freedom, but if he is involved with the Thunderbolts project, I'm sure Contessa would have been able to finesse that part.

---Dave

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
I don't hate it. It's actually kind of fun. I think all the negativity about it before it dropped lowered my expectations and it over delivered. Well played, internet overlords....well played.
30 minutes isn't enough time, however. Should have been an hour long...and the whole season should have dropped at one time. I like to binge watch Marvel content.

Maybe if it doesn't get killed in review, there will be hope for next season.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've learned to ignore extreme commentary a long time ago. The SJWs and the alt-right edge lords all read from the same script. I will always give it at least a chance. So far I'm really liking it because it really does feel like a show that exists in a comic universe and playing straight.

I agree the time run is quite short. It's probably meant to convey the "sitcom" vibe.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Omg, is that true?!? Holy cow, that would be awesome if it is, though I don't recall him being in the team in whatever incarnation.

If so, I'm a bit disappointed cuz I wanted to see more lawyer hijinks than seeding future threats.

We saw Pug. Is there a Mallory? What's up with showing Jen's family? I don't recall that in the Slott run.

Top Bottom