Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I thought this was coming out next year and Aquaman 2 was to be in December. Release date switch?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Man, they gotta hurry and make these movies faster before those older kid actors age out of their roles.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
D.C.E.U.D.O.A.

The first film was the most walked-out-of and refunded film in our theaters' history. That Seven Deadly Sins scene was too much for most families who brought kids to watch. Doubt they're going to make the same mistake again. The fact that this exists in a dead franchise is the death knell.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
On one hand, Shazam was one of the few DC movies that was genuinely good, regardless of the cinematic universe. On the other hand, I can see how children would be genuinely terrified by the Seven Sins. And yet on the other tentacle, the industry has fallen into "PG is kiddie movies and most stuff should be PG-13" along with parents not being good parents and thinking they can blindly go to the theater instead of acknowledging that parental guidance is strongly suggested for children under 13.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
So in other words, a lot of the people who go to your theater have shitty taste.

You're referring to the 'General Public'? Yeah. :: Motions to the Country :: Have you looked around recently? But it's also just as much Warner Bros' fault for pushing it as 'BIG', but with Superheroes, in all the marketing.

On one hand, Shazam was one of the few DC movies that was genuinely good, regardless of the cinematic universe. On the other hand, I can see how children would be genuinely terrified by the Seven Sins. And yet on the other tentacle, the industry has fallen into "PG is kiddie movies and most stuff should be PG-13" along with parents not being good parents and thinking they can blindly go to the theater instead of acknowledging that parental guidance is strongly suggested for children under 13.

Most parents expected a 'Marvel PG-13' that has proved such a four-quadrant winner, which is generally PG plus 'intense sequences of action, and brief suggestive content'. The director has said 'the studio pushed for him to lean into his horror roots', which might not have been the right move in this film, but then again :: motions to the DCEU :: Have you looked around recently?

TM2-Megatron

Citizen

I can see how it would terrify a child, but that boardroom scene was one of the best things about the film.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I was a bit disappointed that the deadly sins were all colored boringly the same, since I was used to some variety in the Ordway run.

Then I saw the wild Geoff Johns version aaaaand I prefer the monster looks.

Anyhow, going to see Fury next week. Hope it's good! Shazam 1 is my fave DC movie.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Watched it. Two extra scenes. Mid credits and after credits are both hooks to the next movie but... Are we having a third Shazam movie?

The first one was better for me. A lot of Freddie aaaaand actually not enough of Billy, as Billy, not Zachery Levi. Seriously not enough of the other siblings. I actually wanted more of what they had at the start but I think plot demanded Zachery Levi be in the center. Him and Freddie, eeeeh

Villains are weird and unknown to me but one of them had the most amazing super power use, which was good.

I think the ending ending could have saved it for me but not quite. Would that the final fight made more sense to me.

There's a red and yellow shirted guy who I'm sure is a reference to an actor but who?

CrockAlley

Citizen
The old guy in the red and yellow shirt was the actor who played Billy in the 70s Shazam TV show.

I quite liked the movie. I think they did a fair enough job balancing the eleven actors who played the Shazam people and their normal person counterparts.

Going in, I wasn't looking forward to more "gods" stuff, but these villains were pretty good.

The movie has a good heart, and a good handful of really awesome moments. This is not groundbreaking storytelling by any means, but it's enough to satisfy if you go in with tempered expectations. Shazam is a bright, fun, silly comic, and the movie reflects that. Nothing too complicated.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Saw it this weekend, and I also really enjoyed it. This didn't have an equivalent to the infamous boardroom scene, although it did have a few "intense" moments (one in particular on the roof of the school stands out in my mind) and the movie clearly doesn't mind its villains flat-out murdering people directly on camera.

The cameo was fun, and totally unexpected.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
Looks like the opening weekend box office put the final nail in the coffin for this franchise. Director is saying as much. It's a shame since Sandberg was doing some of the best directing in DCEU and was actually trying to make a shared universe work.

Maybe next time they'll put Shazam and Black Adam together and have a worthwhile movie.

Dake

Citizen
I can't help but think that Black Adam probably put a big dent in Shazam's opening weekend, but here's hoping word of mouth gives it some legs as I thought it was great (enjoyed it way more than Quantumania which was just fine). I may even have enjoyed it more than the first one because I feel like the humor was more natural and getting to see all the other actors participate more helped. Seems like they really took some inspiration from the Spider-man movies in regards to the interactions between characters. I thought the villains were honestly quite good - obscure sure, but worked well within the DCEU. And the final battle was well-earned.

The surprise cameo was spoiled by the action figure, but credit for how they played it out anyway as far as thinking it was coming earlier than it did. I think of all the "legacy" DC properties, Shazam is the one that could most fit into the changing of the guard at DC. Once Flash officially opens up their multi-verse, I don't see why we couldn't get a third film.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
All of Gunn's antics over the past few months couldn't have helped the box office, either. I mean, I'm sure there were people who figured why even bother seeing it when DC is basically axing all these versions of the characters, anyway?

It's a shame, because I really enjoyed both Shazam films. I'll happily add them to my 4K collection and watch them years from now, likely when Gunn & DC are turning out whatever dreck they have planned.

What's even more disappointing is that we'll never find out what Mister Mind's grand plan, which presumably we would've gotten to in the 3rd film, along with Dr. Sivana's return.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I think there's a weird thing going on in the comics before it was cancelled. The first arc was kind of the first movie. Then there was exploring the other Magic Lands. Then... Mister Mind vs Billy's dad.

I feel like that's what the second movie was suppose to be. The kids exploring the Magic Lands, getting Talky Tawny. Then the third movie would have been Billy's dad.

But they had the daughters of Atlas happen instead. Which aren't even comic characters?

Has there been any background info on this? Geoff Johns was writing the comics then so something must have been happening.

There was even a part when Pedro and Eugene were in the Gamelands but Eugene couldn't play so Pedro was going to do it THEN they just leave the place. I feel like some editorial thing happened and whatever arc was suppose to be got axed.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Finally watched this and this was quite good. It's a shame it didn't do well because it's honestly among the better parts of the DCEU.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Yeah, it's kind of a shame.

I enjoyed both this and Aquaman... I really don't see any reason why these characters/actors can't be carried over to Gunn's new continuity.

Top Bottom