Shattered Glass Thread

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
It's an Emgo term, used by he and his viewers.

It's as annoying for me as "translucent", as we always used "transparent" back in the UK. Still, not as bad as when Yanks say "'erbs" or "omage", bless their little cotton socks...

Anyway, I'd rather have YouTubers like him than people like CrimevsCrime anyday, verbal ticks an' all.

And as it continues to get under certain people's skin, I will continue to support his use of it. 🤣

1PM2rEF.gif

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's as annoying for me as "translucent", as we always used "transparent" back in the UK. Still, not as bad as when Yanks say "'erbs" or "omage", bless their little cotton socks...

Anyway, I'd rather have YouTubers like him than people like CrimevsCrime anyday, verbal ticks an' all.

1PM2rEF.gif

*Pushes up glasses*

TECHNICALLY, transparent and translucent mean different things. Transparent means basically completely clear. The majority of light travels through it without being hassled.
Translucent means some light comes through, some light is blocked. So any colored but see-through plastic would be correctly called translucent, as it is only letting through certain wavelengths.

Transclearant, though, is right out.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
To those of you who actually have Leader Class Shattered Glass Magnus, the instructions mention you being able to simply pop off one head and replace it with the other. Has anyone actually attempted this? I feel like at least for the Delta Magnus head, the connection port is WAAAY too tight to be able to accommodate that ball joint without either breaking or warping something on the DM head without just unscrewing the damn thing and just putting it on that way. I even feel nervous as it is just popping off the SG head (all the transclearant plastic on on both heads worries me), even though there has been no damage to it whatsoever so far in the two times I've done it.

Anyway, if there's been anyone brave enough to attempt this, let me know if there was any damage to the figure.
No issues here. The PC / DM head is a bit tougher to put on and off, but it seems to get easier the more times I do it.

Galvaplexia

Flamboyant Cuddles!!!
Citizen
I regret asking and I'm tempted to go find his social media for the sole purpose of preemptively blocking him.
I mean, yah can, but he’s one of the more objective and accurate and self-aware YouTube TF reviewers out there. Also kinda hilarious. Ethical too (e.g. gives shoutouts to his sponsors).

He also admits in one of his videos that he came about the term cus he was stumbling over his words and just outright forgot the term as he was free-wheeling so just made it up for the sake of continuing on with the dialogue in his video, and was then surprised he got so much of, well… all of 👆🏼this to the point that discussion about the term outnumbered discussion about his video or the TF he reviewed, that he was just gonna use the term in every one of his videos from then on out just to mess with people so he can troll people who find this a sticking point all over the globe. Clearly, the man knows what he’s doing. 🤣

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
*Pushes up glasses*

TECHNICALLY, transparent and translucent mean different things. Transparent means basically completely clear. The majority of light travels through it without being hassled.
Translucent means some light comes through, some light is blocked. So any colored but see-through plastic would be correctly called translucent, as it is only letting through certain wavelengths.

Transclearant, though, is right out.

That's not fully accurate, or at least debatable.

(Reasons why are behind spoiler tags to limit thread/post length and it's also off-topic)

Screenshot_20220914-062316.jpg

Thus, something can be tinted and transparent, as we can clearly see through it, which is why the term is used, such as below:

Screenshot_20220914-062429.jpg

Although some definitions state that to be translucent, some light is diffused (or possibly certain wavelengths can't get through), most definitions refer to the material impeding a clear view of objects behind it, such as "dimples", corrugation or suspended particles. These can create a blurred or "glowing" feel to the material.

Screenshot_20220914-063855.jpg

Screenshot_20220914-062815.jpg

Thus, from this, I would say that the clear red "tech specs decoder" sheets in G1 boxes are "transparent red", while a clear, somewhat "frosted" cockpit on a TF toy is "translucent".

Transformers1-660x492.jpg

(Although, again, as red is blocked by the clear plastic, there is room for debate).

Last edited:

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
I mean, yah can, but he’s one of the more objective and accurate and self-aware YouTube TF reviewers out there. Also kinda hilarious. Ethical too (e.g. gives shoutouts to his sponsors).

He also admits in one of his videos that he came about the term cus he was stumbling over his words and just outright forgot the term as he was free-wheeling so just made it up for the sake of continuing on with the dialogue in his video, and was then surprised he got so much of, well… all of 👆🏼this to the point that discussion about the term outnumbered discussion about his video or the TF he reviewed, that he was just gonna use the term in every one of his videos from then on out just to mess with people so he can troll people who find this a sticking point all over the globe. Clearly, the man knows what he’s doing. 🤣
Well, I have a habendency to blognore people for being obnnoying on purpentional, sofore...

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
As I said in the haslab victory saber thread I got an email last night informing me Flamewar is shipping soon! I'm excited! Although I'm hoping she doesn't show up here until after I'm back from visiting my girlfriend in Texas.

Shadewing

Citizen
Slicer Also might be shipping soon. Since they've updated his shipping date, but not his status yet, as well. Flamewar is listed as available on Oct 24, Slicer is Oct 25.

Top Bottom