Search Tool Tutorial: Allsparkle Edition

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
Are there images, pics, or videos you want to post, but not sure if they've been posted here before and don't want to go through pages upon pages to find out? Well, The Allspark's handy dandy search feature is the perfect tool for you! :)

The search tool is located at the top right, next to your username, conversations, and alerts. Click on it and drop in the image's, pic's, or video's ID and hit "Search." If nothing pops up, then it probably has not been posted. Within the Search tool, an Advanced Search is available if you want to fine-tune your results. But in most cases, the regular search is all you need.

But you might be wondering, "wait, what IS an image's, pic's, or video's ID?" It is the identifier for that object in the URL. For example, I'll post a few links here and highlight the ID's in each. I'll leave out the "http://" to prevent auto embedding...

deviantart.com/rocket-lawnchair/art/Too-Sharp-898060664

derpibooru.org/images/2746353

twitter.com/JustinMacklis/status/1453762942680317959

youtube.com/watch?v=QiqdgMUMq8k

instagram.com/p/CVXty6HFfWw/

Now you know what and where the the ID's are in a URL. ;)

But now you may be wondering, "what about just putting the entire URL into the search?" Well, most of the time that won't give you the results you want or any at all. Here's why...

Firstly, in the case of pics and images, sometimes links have an insanely long URL (lots of junk after the ID,) depending on how the person found the object. The search tool won't like a long URL, as well as some short ones. You might get a result, but it may not be the one you want.

Secondly, in the case of YouTube Videos, using the entire URL won't give you any results at all. Not sure why, it just won't usually work. But it will work with the video's ID from the URL.

Whether it is a pic or video, using only the object's ID in a URL will allow the search function work correctly every time. 😊

If y'all have any other tricks or tips involving the search function, please feel free to post them. This thread is open to all.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I won't do it again, okay?
a16.png

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
:pThough the timing of my thread may say otherwise, it's not directly aimed at you, Fnu. I've been wanting to make this thread since the Oldspark, but never got around to it. Your duplicate post only reminded me to finally get this done.

There's been times when someone posts something and says they can't remember if it's been posted before. And other times someone just plainly forgets that something was already posted. With the huge number of things that get posted over time, that's understandable. This thread exists to help with that. :)

Top Bottom