Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies: An RPG thread

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
A thread for chronicling past and current tabletop gaming experiences throughout a myriad of systems.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Couple Fridays ago, my Reign of Winter group was in some dire straights. A large amount of characters down, two Frost Worms to fight, and only a certain TPK in our future. Somehow, and I do mean this, somehow we were able to kill the worms, did not lose anyone to the Frost Worms death throes(thanks to Hero Points), and got out of the fight.

Then our drow slayer and fetchling fighter got most of their strength drained later on from a god damn roper.

Ironbite-good times.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Hmm, well, let's see. In college:

There was one time where our rogue broke in to a house at night. He had a high bluff check, and if memory serves, he critter a bluff check. Thus our rogue made the home owner believe that he was his son.

Once I was following some guy (I forget why) and he was arrested. So I put on a drunk act and faked a drunken punch on a guard and got myself arrested. The guy I was following was already gone when I woke up in my cell. I was released in the morning since they figured all I needed to do was sleep it off. One of my fellow party member (who wasn't a party member at the time because this was our first night when we were trying to get our characters together) accused me of being a part of some guild. I was stripped naked so the guards could search for a brand (which of course I didn't have because I wasn't a part of the guild). And they just kicked me out on my naked ass in the middle of the city. Cue several hilarious mis-adventures trying to find some clothes.

Once I played a pony that nearly caused a total party wipe at the hands of a plant. My signature has been permanently burned into my psyche as a result.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I was in a furry Shadowrun campaign (playing Night Cap, obviously) for maybe a year and I did nothing. Absolutely nothing. We were a band of criminals and I was almost a model citizen. It was great.

I did try to help. But I possessed ludicrous firepower, and so the dice thought it would be funny if I never got to fire a shot. The GM once took pity on me and had me fire a shot in a cutscene.

I think my favorite memory from that campaign is from our second mission. It was an espionage job, and we were all assigned cover stories. And this other GM... innocently... completely coincidentally... made me a secretary.

Caldwin

Citizen

Kind of a chronicle of someone else's RPG, but for one thing, it's funny. For another, I wanted to plug these guys.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Free RPG Day is a yearly event where tabletop RPG companies put out quickstart/sample adventures for their games in a drive to get people into physical stores, similar to Free Comic Book Day. Obviously, covid threw a wrench into things last year and it still affected things this year since it's traditionally a summer event. This year's event is Saturday. Different stores will handle their event differently and obviously avoid going if there's been a recent outbreak.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Blowing the dust off this thread to try to get a thread that's not about WotC's fiasco.

Today, I ran a Call of Cthulhu learn to play at the local store. I had my third player character death in any campaign I've run. Granted, two of those were from Call of Cthulhu one shots so that sounds about right. For those who know about the system, I was running The Haunting. It was the knife.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this one on the old forums.
My fave TTRPG moment was from our own Mayhem RP. The inherently klutzy and unlucky Haru tries to save an NPC from a falling grand piano... and rolls a crit fail. Haru takes the full brunt of the attack and their cover gets blown. A blunder at just the right moment that was so fitting. 🤣

Caldwin

Citizen
I get the sinking feeling that the RP we were doing in Allsparkle is dead. If it comes back, I'd be ecstatic.

Players handbooks I own include D&D 3, 3.5 and 5 as well as Cyberpunk 2020 and Cyberpunk Red.

I have no desire to GM, but I wouldn't mind doing a non-pony game in one of these formats...preferably Cyberpunk just because of the whole WotC...thing. Though being a Tiefling warlock does sound interesting.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It definitely feels dead. Feels bad. I really liked how the setting was shaping up.

I joined a Discord group that had been doing a cyberpunk type campaign, but they decided to stop doing that and do a superhero game I'm less interested in. I'm basically playing the version of Minuteman that was accidentally created during Shadewing's Freedom Force let's play, so I found a way to have fun.

But I am getting cyberpunk withdrawal.

Shadewing

Citizen
I get the sinking feeling that the RP we were doing in Allsparkle is dead. If it comes back, I'd be ecstatic.

Players handbooks I own include D&D 3, 3.5 and 5 as well as Cyberpunk 2020 and Cyberpunk Red.

I have no desire to GM, but I wouldn't mind doing a non-pony game in one of these formats...preferably Cyberpunk just because of the whole WotC...thing. Though being a Tiefling warlock does sound interesting.

Actually seeing this and Coofee's responces help me, as I've worried everyone lost interest; due to my depression and a few other elments dragging my ability to RP effectively down.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I had a Pathfinder 1E play-by-post that had lasted since 2019 die off over the holiday season, in the middle of a dungeon delve, with my character about to pass out and we'd just captured the person trying to kill my character for some unknown revenge-related reason. So I feel ya. I had the last post too...

Caldwin

Citizen
Here's all of the rulebooks I have. It's not all the D&D stuff I have...cause I have quite a few movies, mini's comics, etc.

IMG_2336.JPG

I've never actually played this before. But I've played the video game and the rules look interesting. I think Red is the most recent.

IMG_2337.JPG

This is my third edition stuff. I played 3.0 in college and I tried to play 3.5 after college but never found a campaign that lasted more than two weeks. The Players Handbook on the top is 3.0. The one on the bottom is 3.5. I'm pretty sure the Monster Manual is 3.0. I'm not sure if the DM guide and the Underdark are 3.0 or 3.5. I'm 90% sure the DM guide is 3.0. Don't have a clue about Underdark.

IMG_2338.JPG

This is all I have for 4.0. I seem remember getting the Races and Classes as a free promotional thing. The Forgotten Realms thing I only got because it helped with some back info on some of the Drizzt books I was reading at the time.

IMG_2339.JPG

These are my 5th edition books. I got the Players Handbook in the blind hope of maybe finding a campaign to join. That never panned out. I mostly just got the monster manual for the pictures.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I don't have a specific absolute favorite RPG moment I've GMed but there are a number that stand out. Many due to the setup and tension actually working. One example being over in Mey Hem, the whole fight with Vince Vinny Vini. Destron wound up hitting Night Cap for 1 point of damage. How scandalous!

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I was a game master for two Ten Candles oneshots at the tail end of 2022.

I called the first one Gentle Rain. The sun was covered up by rain clouds and there were creatures coming up from the rising waters.

The second one I called Rustling. No reason for the sun not rising but the plant life is getting desperate for sustenance.

I was so disappointed when I finally was just a player at a Ten Candles session cuz our game master was sooooo slow with developing the story (dogs in a haunted village). I felt I did mine much better.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Comparing yourself to other GMs is always interesting. I think it can be good if you use it to improve or at least not be horrible. Honestly, most people should attempt to GM to at least understand what goes into it.

Top Bottom