Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider Engine of Vengeance

Dake

Citizen
The next Marvel Haslab is 6" Robbie and his Not-Charger. Kinda neat I guess. It's a shame Hasbro didn't or couldn't get a fully licensed Dodge Charger for this since now it looks a bit Fortnite'ish.

F7058MVLHASLABEOV_001_2000x.png

RCX

Citizen
I feel like the R&D in engineering plus sculpt put into this basic vehicle PALES in comparison to what needs to be considered on for a product such as the Sentinel or Galactus.
Here we've got 2 opening doors, some rolly-wheels, a removable seat and some light-up features. Things just aren't adding up.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Vehicles always seem like such a hard sell to me even at regular retail. Even more so with a $350 price tag.

Doesn't help that the early-bird bonus is the blandest one they could've gone with (an unmasked alt head should already be part of this GR's accessory complement by default). I don't think Mephisto should be in that slot (would've probably helped though), but a different character than Basically Robbie Again would've been nice.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I feel like the R&D in engineering plus sculpt put into this basic vehicle PALES in comparison to what needs to be considered on for a product such as the Sentinel or Galactus.
Here we've got 2 opening doors, some rolly-wheels, a removable seat and some light-up features. Things just aren't adding up.
The amount of light up features adds up, especially if it's not dependent on a singular light. And you forgot the Stick Shifters actual articulation. But I won't deny it feeling like there's some excess profits being made off of things here. 400 for the base offering doesn't seem worth it at all.

Vehicles always seem like such a hard sell to me even at regular retail. Even more so with a $350 price tag.

Doesn't help that the early-bird bonus is the blandest one they could've gone with (an unmasked alt head should already be part of this GR's accessory complement by default). I don't think Mephisto should be in that slot (would've probably helped though), but a different character than Basically Robbie Again would've been nice.
I mean other than the head the changed the color of his pants. I don't think anyone would of cared if we had just gotten a Head swap instead. But who is there in the GR wheelhouse that is enticing enough for people to buy and not be somewhat expendable if it didn't happen? Mephisto being that Early Bird probably would have boosted sales more for sure but people would be pissed if they fell short of the early goal. Here if they don't make it we lose a full extra regular Robbie and maybe if they are lenient they offer the alt head sculpt as a include to try to keep momentum going. But things aren't looking good. It broke the half way point but unless there's a huge push in the next couple days Regular Robbie is going to concept hell.

But with Marvel and vehicles it's always going to be a huge sell to pull off at Legends scale. The already going bike line works as is and is the easiest to pull off. But what Marvel vehicles are there you can think off that are larger than a bike that is even conceivable at Legends scale? The Hell Charger is probably the only real car outside of the Spider-Mobile people would care about. Everything else is Aircraft or larger. A Fantasticar is going to be an odd one since who's really going to want the classic flying Tub look and any later version is going to be a mess of designs to go through. The QuinJets and Blackbirds of any type would run USS Flag proportions and price most out and a Helicarrier would be the size of a studio apartment.

The sad reality is that Robbie's Hell Charger probably was the most probable vehicular choice to do outside of a Multi Rider Bike (and maybe animal) set. But that's the way they really should have gone really. It may have truncated any future vehicle packs at retail but a Haslab package deal including a good majority of the Riders would have been more appealing than selling one car and multiple figures with the newest main Rider. Even if it redid previous ones imagine a set with Johnny, Danny, Vengenace, Alajandra, the Old West Horse rider, or 2099's Zero on his Akira like anime bike. It still would feel like a horrible ripoff at the price, but it would be a lot more enticing to see than just Robbie and his car.

RCX

Citizen
I see the stick-shift "articulation" as negligible. Great that it's there, but its inclusion and prospective tolerance tests compared to a [70 POA] massive figure is a joke.
The sentinel had what, 2 light-up areas (chest and head)? These were "multi" color-change LEDs whereas it looks like the car just uses white with translucent orange plastic. Yes, there are most likely 10 LED sections in the car. But 1-color on/off LEDs are available for pennies on the dollar, and addressing how to wire them in and hide them inside a generic vehicle housing is basic.

Hasbro had to figure out how to make a premium Sentinel (and Galactus) at this scale. The innards, and the sculpt. It took them time and cost them money.
They did not have to "figure out" how to build a car at this scale. And if they did, shame on them. All they had to do was sculpt it.

The amount of work that they've put into this new product does not warrant it's price, especially when compared to past offerings. I think most of the internet has rallied behind this viewpoint. I hope ML fans will stand up like the Rancor folks did to show Hasbro this isn't ok.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, Price wise this is insane. This is is basicaly twice Titan-Class prices. Hell, you could likely get both ZAP Megazord and Dragonzord for about the same price as this thing. Starsabre and Victory Leo cost less then this did. I get that electronics in stuff is expensive, but when you compare what you're getting here with the Hell Charger vs ...pretty much any other large scale Hasbro release, and its nearly impossible to justify the cost even with electronics.

RCX

Citizen
Hasbro is panicking.
You don't reveal tier 1 and then go in and insert tier 0.5.
People have backed out, and most upward movement has stalled.
Marvel Legends buyers need to take HasLab to task by not funding this.
I just hope the folks that really want it and plan on [potentially] shelling out for it understand that they are getting price-gouged; and that if Hasbro can get away with it here, they will continue to prey upon the action figure-collecting community in the future.

MrBlud

Citizen
I get the connection, but super weird to think people that want Robbie or Mephisto would be interested in Pryor.

Like throwing in Jocasta with the Sentinel or Ulysses Solomon Archer with Galactus…

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This was always going to be an uphill battle, mitigated only by price. But "mitigated only by price" went right out the window when they wanted $350 for essentially a vehicle shell with some fancy lights and a flicker switch and some bloosh bits that would only work with this particular item. Somebody saw the HISS Tank do surprisingly well surprisingly fast thanks to a content-starved army-building-happy fandom (and to be fair, a design that is a fair bit more substantial than this thing) and went "hold my beer".

Just watching the reveal I felt my initial "a Ghost Rider HasLab? Really?" skepticism was immediately validated, and that weak attempt to shill it harder by saying "heh heh we could've made these brimstone block stand things a separate tier but we're including them in the base offering how good a deal is that!" cemented it. Like bruh, for $350 you'd better damn well be packing as much crap as you can with this thing. Frankly I'm surprised they've made it to 5k backers as it is. People are justifiably unimpressed, and the panic is in the air.

I don't like rooting against the toy company for typical fanboy revenge's sake, especially since I'm not part of this particular collecting corner anyway. But this kind of offering shouldn't be rewarded or validated. Definitely vote with the wallets on this one.

Reactions: RCX

Dake

Citizen
Meanwhile if they had officially licensed the Charger from Dodge, they could appeal to gearheads too. MOPAR fans are second only to Harley Davidson's.

Shadewing

Citizen
So I was thinking about this today, and there is one possible way they might have been able to save this; they should have waited till after the Midnight Suns game was released, and made it a tie in to that. A game that has this Ghost Rider in it, thus potentially making more people aware of him, and then make the extra figures OTHER characters from the game. That way there is some thematic elements that tie the set together better and might draw more appeal. I still think the whole thing was overpriced. But tie it to a triple A game that looks like it might go over well, and do stuff like include the game's main villian rather then Mephisto, and some game characters that have few to no other toys, and maybe there might have been some kinda hype for this set.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I don't know why, but I don't think that this or the Rancor really leveraged their possible publicity with upcoming stories. Like how the Rancor could, with very few added parts, have done double duty as part of Boba Fett's lineup. Or this one, with the game you mentioned. In both cases, Disney would have known MONTHS before these Haslabs what the entertainment was planned to do, the need for scripts and the like means you already have a very good idea what will happen well in advance. I don't know why they didn't pass along that information to Hasbro for incorporation, simply because it's THEIR license, so they'd get a cut of any success.

Top Bottom