Request to merge duplicate threads

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
Hello, moderators. May I ask for these doubled threads to be merged together to avoid redundancy?

I will leave it to moderator discretion whose thread title should get priority.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
I don't want to speak out of turn, but it looks to me like conversation naturally moved on to another thread and you just bumped all your old threads - even ones with no comments - back up to the front page because you thought the discussion should continue there. Seems like the kind of thing that would have been a violation in the past.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
On a related note, a certain new user has been going around making all sorts of redundant duplicate threads for no real good reason, even making Transformers threads in the non-Transformers General Discussion section. It's really annoying seeing all those pointless duplicated threads.

Shadewing

Citizen
On a related note, a certain new user has been going around making all sorts of redundant duplicate threads for no real good reason, even making Transformers threads in the non-Transformers General Discussion section. It's really annoying seeing all those pointless duplicated threads.

I'm starting to wonder if their not a very clever bot. They never seem to actually interact, just post things.

Dake

Citizen
I don't want to speak out of turn, but it looks to me like conversation naturally moved on to another thread and you just bumped all your old threads - even ones with no comments - back up to the front page because you thought the discussion should continue there. Seems like the kind of thing that would have been a violation in the past.

I don't know, I feel like back in the day we worked to keep subject matter in their own threads, and starting a new one just because the old one had fallen back a page or two was frowned upon. There's a search function for a reason.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
So...I'm wondering where the line is with merging threads. In the recent D&D thread, it was commented that it didn't seem like a thread had been started on the new forum. One actually had but had long since fallen to the last page. I didn't comment at the time since my initial response was almost in the "Um, actually..." range and backed off. But it probably comes down to thread intention on whether they should be merged. If the D&D thread is supposed to be about Dungeons & Dragons as an IP (which it seems to be), they should probably stay split. If it's about table top RPGs as a whole, they should probably merge.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The forums aren't as active as they used to be. One of the reasons this was such a big deal back in the day is that it was to keep the forums from being flooded with duplicates. I've personally never been a fan of the "megathreads" given how many times they put strain on the old databases.

I don't like clutter and when we catch it we can always merge things where need be - but in the end normal organic discussions are fine if they veer off into multiple branches from time to time. It's just the nature of how the internet has changed over the years with the advent of social media.

Although considering what a dump Facebook is and Twitter is starting to become, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if people went back into forums communities as a way to have actual meaningful conversations instead of just a bunch of glass dinging for their own egos.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
We have another duplicate thread made by a different new user:

Here is the original:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
We really don't need three separate Super Sentai threads (all made by the same person, no less).

We may not even need one at all since we already have both a Tokusatsu thread and a Power Rangers thread that Sentai fans on here already frequent.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Merged those three threads into one, I think Sentai can have it's own thread separate Power Rangers. Left the redundant ROTB one because it was just a question, as the movie gets closer we're going to wind up having more than one thread for that.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
On the subject of a different new user, several of these new threads they have created within the last week don't really need to be individual threads, as many of them cover the same basic topic. For some reason it seems like this person feels they have to make a completely new thread every time they have a new question to ask people:

"Speculation on the future of Transformers comics"

"The reception of TFTM, G1 Season 3, and IDW's Deviations"

"Shattered Glass discussion" (this one could just be merged with the main Shattered glass thread)

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
For some reason it seems like this person feels they have to make a completely new thread every time they have a new question to ask people

That's how it works on Reddit, so it could just be a case of not knowing old school forum nettiquette.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Another merge request (though, would it be possible to keep the second thread's title as the merged thread's title? It's the more accurate of the two names.):

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Another merge request (though, would it be possible to keep the second thread's title as the merged thread's title? It's the more accurate of the two names.):

And now they've made yet another Sailor Moon thread:

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't know enough about Sailor Moon to know if these are separate properties (like Star Trek General, Star Trek Picard, etc) and if they're ongoing or retrospective or not.

Perhaps @CoffeeHorse may know?

Top Bottom