Recommended Switch games? (Other than BotW and Hades)

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Late to the party but I got a Switch for my birthday, woo!

I picked out two games so far. Friend said play other games before starting Zelda Breath of the Wild (cuz I'd be ruined for other games?) so I played Hades first.

---

I like it a lot! First time to play anything... Rogue Like? (rogue lite? What are these terms?) and I'm having a blast! Can't believe I have to start from scratch and have to randomly power up in each play thru, dang! But at least it helps you adapt to each weapon and variety of boons.

Fave weapon is the shield. Love how it bounces. The spear does the same when Daedelous hammered up.

Am 5 days in before meeting the final boss for the first time and, with my set up of Hermes speed and Area doom, I surprised myself by beating him! I only have minimum life left too! When the text started, I approached him to do the usual R2 talk but then, there was a second round?!?! I was so surprised that I couldn't dash away when he surprise hit me! Fuuuuuuu---

Back to the start. Hope I get lucky with a good build in the next run.

---

Anyhow, what are the recommended Switch games? The must haves?

I was tempted to get Shovel Knight and MegaMan classic collection but I decided to expand my horizons and get something that's not 2D platforming. I nearly got Metroid Dread but another guy got it first.

Sjogre

Citizen
Super Mario Odyssey is a 3D platformer, rather than 2D, but I suspect that it was already on your list. Same with the Shantae games.

If you like action games, Platinum titles are generally good fun. Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, and Astral Chain are all on the Switch.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is also good fun, but the game really assumes that you've already played Breath of the Wild.

For something different from my other picks, Starlink assuming you can find it on sale with some of the extra content. It's a shoot'em up that's also a sandbox game that has you fly around a solar system. Also, the Switch version has Star Fox characters join up.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
This might get long...

As always I recommend you look at reviews or a video to see if the game would be for you first.

The Must Plays:

Dead Cells: You said you like roguelikes? This is one of the best.

Super Mario Odyssey: This is just a no brainer. One of the best games on the system.

Super Mario 3D World Plus Bowser's Fury: It might be worth it for Bowser's Fury alone, but if you've never played 3D World on Wii-U, then it's a must buy.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: It lives up to the title. I keep wondering if they'll release a version with ALL the DLC on disc, but this is a must-buy.

Pokemon Legends Arceus: Probably the most interesting Pokemon game. Plus, good news! You can actually catch ALL the Pokemon in this game with only one game. No trading is required.

Metroid Dread: Definitely try to find this one. It's hard, but one of the best (and only) Metroids we've gotten in years.

The Xenoblade Saga (Xenoblade 1 Definitive, Xenoblade 2, Xenoblade 2 Torna Golden Country, and Xenoblade 3): All of these RPGs are a good time. And you can play them all on Switch! (Except for X for some reason, but maybe someday). I'd probably recommned starting with the first one.

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity: This is a prequel to Breath of the Wild, but it's recommended you play this AFTER you finish Breath of the Wild. It's a Dynasty Warriors styled game. There's also Hyrule Warriors Definitive, which is more of a crossover between all the different Zelda games. Age of Calamity has a better story. But Definitive is also fun.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land: You might scoff at a Kirby game, but this is arguably the best Kirby game we've ever gotten.

Luigi's Mansion 3: This game might just be perfect to play around Halloween.

Sonic Mania Plus: Arguably the best Sonic game we've gotten in a decade.

Monster Hunter Rise: A lot of people are falling in love with this game.

Ori and The Blind Forest/Ori and the Will of Wisps: A couple of gorgeous platformers.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge: This is already out digitally, but it's getting a physical release soon. Maybe the best TMNT beat em up ever? There's also the Cowabunga Collection collecting a bunch of TMNT games coming out soon.

Shovel Knight: This is one of the biggest indie platformers ever. I say go for it. Eventually.

The Solid Buys:

Super Mario 3D All Stars: This might be getting hard to find. But, it collects 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1. Definitely worth getting. Might depend on if you've already played them all, though.

Super Mario Maker 2: It's heyday is probably behind it, but it's still fun to play around with.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: With all the DLC coming, this is probably worth it even if you did play it on the Wii-U.

Animal Crossing New Horizons: It depends on if you like these life-simulation games. But, if you do this one's pretty addictive.

Stardew Valley: Another farming/life sim game. Everyone likes this one.

Fire Emblem Three Houses: One of the best strategy games you'll find. If you like this, there's also Fire Emblem Three Hopes, a Dynasty Warriors style sequel.

Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle: This is getting a sequel soon, so maybe you want to wait for that, but this is still a really solid strategy game.

ALL the other Pokemon games (Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eeevee, Sword/Shield): The "mainline" Pokemon games. There's a version of Sword/Shield with the Expansion pass included, I'd recommend tracking that one down. Legends Arceus is superior, in my opinion, but these are good too.

Bayonetta 2: A over the top action game. Bayonetta 3 is coming soon, though and MIGHT be better.

Live A Live: A remake of a cult classic JRPG from the SNES days. In a 2D-3D artstyle.

Octopath Traveller: Another 2D-3D JRPG.

Dragon Quest XI S Echoes of a Elusive Age: Do you like JRPGs? This might be for you.

Tales of Vesperia: Another JRPG.

Eastward: Another JRPG. In a more 2D artstyle.

Bravely Default 2: Another JRPG. You don't have to have played the original 2 games on the 3DS to enjoy this. This is basically a new story.

YS 8 Lacrimose of Dana: Another action JRPG. I like the island setting of this one better than YS 9, but both are solid games.

Valkyria Chronicles 4: Another Strategy game option.

Astral Chain: From the team that brought you Bayonetta.

Hollow Knight: Another tough game. But, one that most people love.

Celeste: A platformer with a surprising story.

Paper Mario The Origami King: The latest Paper Mario. It has a very unique battle system. You might want to look at a review first.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze: A great game. But, it can be difficult and you might have played it on the Wii U.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Complete: A Pokemon like collection of 2 games.

Guacamelee One Two Punch: A collection of two Metroidvanias where you play as a luchador.

Megaman 11: It's a new Megaman game.

Megaman Zero/ZX Collection: I know you said you wanted to stay away from Megaman, but these are a little different than normal Megaman games. Also, arguably some of the best storytelling in the Megaman series. Plus, it's 6 games in one.

New Super Lucky's Tale: A charming platformer.

Yoshi's Crafted World: Another charming, if easy, platformer.

No More Heroes 3: A crazy action game. The first 2 are also on the Switch, if you never played them on the Wii, too.

Shantae and the Seven Sirens. Not as good as Pirates Curse, but this is still a really gun time. There's also Half Genie Hero out on the Switch, if you end up loving Shantae.

Streets of Rage 4: A really solid beat em up.

Steamworld Dig 2: A different kind of Metroidvania, where you're digging underground.

Untitled Goose Game: Don't underestimate this. It can be a lot of fun.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom: This aciton platformer has a gorgeous 2D artstle. If you like this there's also Wonder Boy and the Dragons Trap.

The "Maybes":

Sega Genesis Classics: There are A LOT of ways to play old Genesis games nowadays. You could even get a Switch Online Plus subscription and get a lot of Genesis games that way. But, this collection is still fairly solid.

Cadence of Hyrule: This is a different kind of Zelda game. You fight in tune with the music. You can also turn this off and it just becomes a turn-based action game.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker: A more puzzle focused Mario game.

Axiom Verge 1 or 2: Similar to the Metroid games. These indie titles get pretty great reviews.

CatQuest 1 and 2 Pawsome Pack: Two 2D Zelda styled games for the price of one.

The Wonderful 101: A very unique game where you control a whole host of Power Rangers styled heroes.

Capcom Fighting Collection: You get ALL the Nightstalkers fighting games from the Arcades. As well as Puzzle Fighter, Gem Fighter, Cyberbots, and the rarely seen Red Earth.

Collection of Mana or Trials of Mana: Pick between getting the 3 original Mana games from the Game Boy and SNES. Or get the 3D remake of the third game in the series.

Child of Light and Valiant Hearts: Two solid indie games for the price of one.

The World Ends With You Final Remix and The World Ends With You Neo: Both are solid RPGs. The control schemes might take some getting used to, though. And even if you've played TWEWY on the DS, the Final Remix contains a True Ending that leads into the sequel.

Cross Code: Another Zelda-like action RPG. This time in a digital world.

Shin Megami Tensei V: A very difficult JRPG.

Indivisible: Action RPG with a VERY pretty artstyle.

Dusk Diver 1 or 2: A stylish series of 3D brawlers.

Flipping Death: A platformer that looks like a old Nickelodeon cartoon. Or Psychonauts.

Monster Hunter Stories 2 Wings of Ruin: Unlike the OTHER Monster Hunter game, this is more of a Pokemon-like RPG. Some people might prefer this to Monster Hunter Rise.

My Friend Pedro: Basically, a Deadpool game.

New Pokemon Snap: You're taking pictures of Pokemon. It's more fun than you might think.

Nexomon and Nexomon Extinction Complete: Do you want a harder Pokemon game with some nice 2D art? This might be for you.

The Oddworld Collection: You get 3 classic Oddworld games for the price of one.

Triangle Strategy: A 2D-3D strategy game.

Wargroove: A Advance Wars style strategy game.

Yoku's Island Express: A pinball Metroidvania.

Valfaris: A Contra style shoot em up.

Unruly Heroes: A Monkey King/Journey to the West action game done in the style of the Rayman games.

Puyo Puyo Tetris: A puzzle game with a quirky story mode.

Owlboy: Another Metroidvania.

The Longest 5 Minutes: Another RPG.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 Black Order: A action RPG with Marvel Heroes.

Lego DC Supervillains or Lego Marvel Superheroes 2: The Lego games are always a fun time.

Kaze and the Wild Masks: A solid 2D platformer similar to Donkey Kong Country.

Splatoon 2: Splatoon 3 is coming soon, but this game is still solid. I'd probably recommend waiting for Splatoon 3, though.

Battlechasers Nightwar: A western RPG this time.

Spiritfarer: A unique game where you ferry the souls of the dead to the afterlife.

Zoids Wild Blast Unleashed: It's not that good, but this fighting game has giant robot animals.

Daemon Ex Machina: Again, it's not that good. But, it has giant robots.

Sekuna Of Rice and Ruin: A combination of a farming sim and a action game.

Digital Only Games:

The Messenger: A amazing ninja action game. Highly recommended.

Undertale: A Earthbound-style RPG. Protip: Don't kill your enemies.

Cuphead: It might get a physical version eventually. And it's REALLY hard. But, this action platformer is SO PRETTY.

Moonlighter: A roguelike where you run a shop.

Enter the Gungeon: A roguelike with a BUNCH of weapons.

Golf Story: Maybe the best golf game of the decade?

Donut County: A game where you control a hole. It's a better puzzle game than it sounds.

Raji An Ancient Epic Enhanced: A action game about Indian mythology.

Blaster Master Zero 1, 2, and 3: All three games are good.

Blossom Tales: A 2D Zelda style game.

Bug Fables The Everlasting Spring: Do you like the first 3 Paper Mario games? This is basically designed around those.

Death's Door: A tough action game.

Freedom Planet: A 2D Sonic the Hedgehog style platformer.

Gris: A very stylish platformer.

Dust a Elysian Tale: A stylish platformer.

Iconoclasts: A Metroidvania.

Panzer Paladin: A retro-style action game.

Touryst: A unique little puzzle action game.

Superlimial: A unique mindbending puzzle game.

Dodgeball Academia: Short of like Golf Story, but with Dodgeball.

Return of the Obra Din: You have to see this game's art style to appreciate this mystery solving game.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World The Game: A classic beat em up that you may have missed out on.

Klonoa Fantasy Reverie: Two very nice platformers that often go overlooked.

Tanuki Justice: Another fun little retro throwback.

River City Girls: Another beat em up game.

Mechstermination Force: Fight giant mechs in a 2D action game.

Cthulhu Saves Christmas: C'mon with a name like that, you MUST be curious.

Implosion Never Lose Hope: A top down action game.

Katana Zero: Another action game.

Cyber Shadow: Another ninja action game.

Double Dragon Neon: If you've never played it before, you MUST experience the best villain and ending song in beat em up history.

Clockwork Aquario: This deserves special mention as a Arcade game that was lost to time, but was resurrected due to fans wanting to find it. But...it's still a Arcade game. You'll be finished in 20 minutes.

Games you might want to avoid: Sonic Colors Ultimate (I think it got patched, but the Switch version was pretty broken at launch), Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl (they're not THAT bad, but I'd put every other Pokemon game on Switch above them). Balen Wonderworld (*SIGH* Don't get me started)

I could go on, but I think you should have enough to get started.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
The Konami collections (Castlevania, Castlevania Advance, Contra) are all pretty solid. The Capcom Collections are also pretty good, but there's also a lot of overlap in the games offered. So I guess do your homework on those.

Metroid Dread can be controller-throwing difficult, but it's also very fun and satisfying.

You have a good selection of Zelda games: Breath of the Wild, Skyward Sword HD, Link's Awakening Remake. Breath of the Wild is an absolute must play for any Switch owner.

Smash Bros Ultimate is the best Smash Bros has ever been. By the same token, Mario Kart 8 is also very good. I don't usually like racing games, but I love Mario Kart.

Mario Odyssey is also a must play. I don't usually care for 3D Mario as much as 2D, but even I can't recommend this enough.

You can also get both Portal games bundled. That's always fun.

In the realm of Pokemon: Legends Arceus is a must play for any Pokemon fan. Sword/Shield is good, but with a new Pokemon game coming out, it may be worth it to hold off for the new one. I actually enjoyed Shining Pearl, but Sword/Shield was definitely better. If you only get one Pokemon game, I would go for Arceus. Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu is okay, but a bit too simplified for serious Pokemon players. Kinda Pokemon light.

There's also a bunch of Arcade Archives games for cheap fun: (Donkey Kong, Frogger, Double Dragon, etc.)

Also, TMNT Shredder's Revenge...I have it for PS5, but I have to imagine it's just as good on the Switch. Ditto the Cowabunga Collection coming out on Tuesday.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
For something different from my other picks, Starlink assuming you can find it on sale with some of the extra content. It's a shoot'em up that's also a sandbox game that has you fly around a solar system. Also, the Switch version has Star Fox characters join up.
Starlink is a Starfox game in all but name - get Physical if you want an Arwing plastic model, otherwise get it digitally, given how hard it probably is to find all the ships and pilots in toy form these days. it's a "Toys to life" but if you buy physical you can still digitally unlock any physical pilot, ship or weapon for a week at a time, and you can still buy all the other pilots and ships and weapons digitally. You just can't easily mix physical and digital wihtout effectively playing it in digital mode anyways. Might be worth the physical purchase for the Arwing though if you want one.

Disclaimer: I did buy all of the accessories when they were on clearance a couple years ago, so I don't know how hard it is to get the physical items anymore, but I did enjoy being able to swap weapons on the fly physically(and you can swap ships if you current one gets shot down to act as an "extra life"). Wave 2 is all digital though, but it was also only pilots.

As for other games:

If you like anime, you can import any of the 4 different Super Robot Wars games for Switch. (V, X, T, and 30) They're import only sadly, but pick the one with the series you most want to use and enjoy some fanficcy crossover shenanigans. Only thing to know is the SEA and Hong Kong versions are the version with English for the first three, and the actual Japanese store and cart is where you go for 30 and it's DLC in English. You can also buy pure digital off the Japanese e-shop - just gotta make a separate account and load it up with prepaid cards from somewhere like PLayasia.

No Man's Sky is coming to Switch soon, but it won't have multiplayer, so it depends on if that's an important aspect to you for that game or not

There's also a Ultraman-themed Monster Rancher game coming out for Switch alter this year that might be worth a look if you like that franchise.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Mario Odyssey seems to be one of the tops on the list so I guess I'm going for that next.

But after I finish Hades and Breath of the Wild. So this could take some time, haha. How many gaming hours does it take to finish Breath?

Also, do you guys stick to one game until it's done, before going on to new games?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I...TRY to stick to one game at a time and see it through until it's over.

It doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes I lose interest. Or I wander away. Or life gets in the way. Or I just get more interested in something else.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I might be a bit biased, but MEDdMI's journey of poetry, cupcakes and horror was on a Switch port of the game in question. You may follow it on that thread, though spoilers abound. I've tried to keep surprises covered up though.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I think I'm a weird case because I'm kinda console specific.

If I'm playing something on PS5, I can't start anything else or something will get pushed to the back burner, probably never to be revisited.

If I'm playing something (particularly first party) on the Switch, I can usually get a second game going (maybe a third that doesn't require too much attention). I mean, I'll probably pay more attention to one over the other, but I can do it.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I stick to one game at a time as far as the Switch is concerned, though I've basically paused and came back due to events and things on the PC games I'm playing. Did it for Shield, and Arceus is on pause right now - first from the ESO High Isle content, then NMS. I'll get back to it eventually, but it may be a while still. It's not like it's going anywhere, after all. As long as I can remember the controls when I get back to it...

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Maybe it's all the time I put into Dead Cells and Hollow Knight, but I really don't get the cries of difficulty with regards to Metroid Dread. It's so generous with the checkpoints that I don't mind that the bosses/EMMIs kick my face in like 30 times when I don't have to traverse a bunch of nonsense every time just to try again. (Looking at you, Soul Master and Traitor Lord...)

Anyway, game recs, I think most all of mine are gonna be redundant, but I'll comment on them anyway.

Metroid Dread - it's challenging, but it's fair, I think. First game that made me use the button reassignment feature for comfort. (IIRC it was shuffling around stuff on the bumpers and triggers.)

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town - a hesitant recommendation if you have nostalgia for the GBA version that this is a remake of, as it doesn't have a lot of the modern quality of life improvements other farm sim games have implemented, so it's high on the tedium. If you're into the genre, though, you probably go for that at least a little bit.

Iconoclasts - an indie metroidvania that's very heavy on the story, and a touch rough in spots both mechanically and storywise because it was literally one guy doing the entire thing, but it's really goddamn good. Highly recommended, especially if you liked how Metroid Fusion worked. The dev is a big fan of that, and you can feel it.

DUSK - an indie FPS that takes some very heavy inspiration from Quake. Spooky horror one-guy-versus-a-cult theme that goes some really wild places and has some bonkers setpieces and a fantastic soundtrack.

Unsighted - people keep calling this a metroidvania, but with the top-down perspective, two-weapon loadouts, the literal red and blue block switch mechanic lifted right from Eagle's Tower, and the animation you get falling from one floor to another, this is 100% a zeldalike - and it's fantastic.

Part-Time UFO - a HAL Labs game that was originally a mobile title, ported to switch and beefed up. It's a cute game about helping people by moving stuff around and balancing it. Soundtrack is infectious.

Cyber Shadow - another in the 'challenging but fair' pile, though it did make my hands hurt a few times playing it. Despite the obvious Ninja Gaiden similarities, I also got a lot of Shatterhand vibes from it. Still need to finish it sometime.

Stardew Valley - absolutely fantastic realization of the farm sim genre, though I honestly recommend it more on PC simply for having access to mods. I've taken to a number of quality of life ones that have absolutely spoiled me where I can't go back to vanilla, but if you don't care about mods, go nuts.

Powerslave: Exhumed - remastered combined port of the PS1 and Saturn games from the mad lads at Nightdive, which is a bizarre mid-90s metroidvania FPS with Don LaFontaine as King Ramses. It's really weird, but absolutely fascinating as it essentially tries to do what Metroid Prime did six years early. It also has the most solid, consistent platforming I've ever experienced in a first person game, and I cannot emphasize enough how wild that is. It takes a bit to realize just how far you can actually jump - so much further than you'd expect, but once you're used to it, it's bonkers.

Doom 64 - another Nightdive remaster joint, the classic Doom gameplay but with much more of a spooky vibe and ambiance compared to the heavy metal slaughterfest of 1 and 2. Includes a whole new extra set of levels and has been tweaked to not be nearly so dark and hard to see.

Quake - yet another Nightdive remaster, A+ execution. It's not really my thing, personally, but Quake's a big goddamn deal and Nightdive does good work.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I've had mine since launch year, and it's been one of my favorite systems of all time. Even though my Xbox Series S with GamePass is wrapping up a good bit of time as of the last couple years. (BTW, Game Pass is an AMAZING deal right now, and through games with gold I built up a respectable library of older titles before they've decided to end the old stuff).
In terms of gaming, I usually have a "main" and couple side games I rotate around at a given time until one of them loses my interest. Sometimes I think I burn out on a title and have to step away for a while.

Some of my favorites for the Switch:
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild- it's just a BIG game. It feels a bit too aimless for my taste and I hate some of the mechanics (screw you weapon durability!), but it really is a great experience.

Mario Odyssey- An AMAZING 3D platform game. It's easily my favorite Mario game. I'm frankly shocked this wasn't a first purchase.
Mario Kart- It's Mario Kart, but the inclusion of a new Battle Mode and the Course Expansion add SO MUCH content.
Smash Bros- It's Smash Bros, but again, Nintendo added SO much more content.

Dead Cells- Hades wrapped in a Metroidvania with a lot of dark humor
Moonlighter- Hades with a store management element.
Frankly, just about any rogue-like and/or Metroidvania is available on the platform.

Ubisoft has two fantastic offerings. And both are on sale very frequently so WELL worth a purchase!
Starlink- As mentioned, a solid semi-open...sytem?...Ubisoft space game. Has a lot of traditional open world game elements with some RPG elements. And again, features a HUGE StarFox component. When I played, almost a quarter of my time was tied to the StarFox material, and the game actually incorporates it well enough that it feels natural to "main" the Starfox crew for the entire story. DLC was released offering the ENTIRE Starfox crew for play. The Digital Deluxe Edition (which gives all the content in game without the toys to life stuff) is often on sale for $20 or less. Probably cheaper to get it digitally now instead of trying to get the physical version (which were cleared out for less than $10 several years ago. Probably can't find it that cheap anymore.)

Mario+Rabbids- XCom Mario. Similar turn based strategy gameplay, but simplified. Fun, well done story, good graphics and FANTASTIC musical score. It's easily the most underrated game on the platform. Includes Donkey Kong based DLC as well. Physical game can be had for $20 or less, but you can score with a sale on the digital version to snag the DLC as well for around $30 or less.

Generally, the Switch kind of stepped into the same "niche" that the Playstation Vita ended up fitting into. Home to PILES of RPGs, shooters and weird Japanese and indie titles. It's home to a BUNCH of legacy titles as well.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I can't believe I forgot Cruisn' Blast! If you have ANY fondness for the old Midway arcade games of the 90s, you MUST get it. It's also routinely available for $20.

And I can't believe nobody else has mentioned it!

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Most of these have already been mentioned, but wanted to cast my vote. Might add more later.

-Bayonetta for ridiculous over the top action.
-Undertale is a very different RPG, if you haven't been spoiled on it.

And b/c I know you won't mind these:
-Dream Daddy: Short dating sim w/ dads. Helluva catchy theme song.
-Dungeon Boyfriend: Dating sim and procedurally generated dungeons. The fighting's pretty easy. Also has female and non-binary people.

-DokiDoki was... well, it depends on your taste. Don't play it if you don't like mind games.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I finished the final boss of Hades on the 51st try. Aaaaand it turns out I have to finish it several more times to get the whole story, the repeated run figuring into the story.

Are all roguelikes like this? Like, how in the world can other game plots explain their repeated runs? At least Hades has a myth that works with the gameplay (escaping the underworld so dying over and over).

Not going to give in to my OC-ness to get 100%, haha. I'm wrapping it up after I finish the main story and the romance option.

Then I'll go Breath of the Wild. Then I'll check Mario Odyssey. And that starfox game you folks are mentioning.

Btw, from the games recommended, there are no horror themed titles? Halloween is coming and I might be in the mood for something spooooooky.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
It kind of depends on what subgenre of horror you'd prefer. Kid friendly, gory, psychological, sci-fi, strange?

For "big" titles there's Luigi's Mansion 3 (cutsey ghosts, but still technically spooky). And Metroid Dread arguably counts. Same goes for Hollow Knight.

Most of the newer, bigger Resident Evils can't really run on the Swtich. You do have stuff like Doom and Doom Eternal. And I believe some older Resident Evils (Origins and 4) and Aliens Isolation is on the Switch.

There's also Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water, which was originally a Wii-U exclusive.

Some other bigger titles are: Outlast, Dying Light, Layers of Fear Legacy, Inside, Limbo, Walking Dead, and Bendy and the Ink Machine. And of course, the Castlevania Collection.

A lot of the horror games on Switch come from indie developers. Which means most are digital-only. And some are more psychologically unsettling rather than gory (though, some are).

Carrion: Where you control a killer blob that's trying to escape from a containment facility.

Little Nightmares 1 or 2: Horror themed puzzle platformers.

Blasphemous: A Dark Souls-like Metroidvania.

Salt and Sanctuary: A Dark Souls-like Action RPG.

Omori: More of a psychological RPG. Kind of inspired by Earthbound.

Corpse Party: Another horror RPG.

Doki Doki Literature Club: Spoilers, but...Let's say the game can be a bit darker than you might think.

Undertale: Again, spoilers, but...let's say that certain routes in this game can turn into this. This depends on how you end up playing the game, though.

The Stanley Parable: Again, spoilers...but, some routes can become this, depending on how you play.

Last edited:

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I finished the final boss of Hades on the 51st try. Aaaaand it turns out I have to finish it several more times to get the whole story, the repeated run figuring into the story.

Are all roguelikes like this? Like, how in the world can other game plots explain their repeated runs? At least Hades has a myth that works with the gameplay (escaping the underworld so dying over and over).

Not going to give in to my OC-ness to get 100%, haha. I'm wrapping it up after I finish the main story and the romance option.

Then I'll go Breath of the Wild. Then I'll check Mario Odyssey. And that starfox game you folks are mentioning.

Btw, from the games recommended, there are no horror themed titles? Halloween is coming and I might be in the mood for something spooooooky.
I've not messed with a lot of other roguelites, but Hades definitely goes a lot harder on the story than a lot of them - that's that Supergiant quality for ya.

Horror's not generally my bag, but DUSK and Doom 64 on my list earlier qualify, and since you were eyeballing Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, both Plague of Shadows and Specter of Torment within it would work - Specter moreso.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
You might as well ask how games in general explain your ability to rewind time to before you died. Most don't.

In Enter the Gungeon, you're trapped in a place where the usual rules of space and time no longer apply as a result of the chaos energy released when the Great Bullet crashed into it, or something. I'm not aware of any others that really bother to make it fit into the lore.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I'm still trying to get the final ending of Hades (done with romantic option. Would that there was more, dang it!) but I stayed over at a friend's and we played Cuphead.

My thumbs are sore! And we're only starting the third island! Gosh dang, that was HARD! I watched playthru's before but it doesn't really prepare you for the hell that all the dodging gets you!

I'm going back on Sunday and we'll maybe try to finish it. But I'm scared, haha

Top Bottom