Ratchet and Clank

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I don't know enough about the franchise to make a punny title yet. So if you've been a fan and you have a suggestion, let me know and I'll change it.

Anyways, years ago the first Ratchet and Clank (I'm assuming it was a remaster, but I'm not certain about that) was one of the PlayStation Plus games. I played it for about a day, maybe two. It was decent enough, but I had other games to get to.

Yesterday I was looking for a game for my new PS5 (I'm still giddy about that) and Rachet and Clank Rift Apart seemed to be getting some good press.

This game is the most beautiful, shiny, smooth game I have EVER played. It's just so absolutely gorgeous! It was love at first frame. And Rivet is so totally adorable!

I can't wait until I'm off work tonight so I can go home and play this.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
While I genuinely enjoyed the game. I sadly felt it was lacking. A lot of the humor from the earlier games is just.. gone. The game was glitchy (this was when it was just released) and to me, just did not shine the way the first games did.

Do not get me wrong.. Probably the best PS5 exclusive to date IMO. But if you can, I -really- suggest either tracking down a PS3 with the remasters, or booting the original trilogy up on a PS2 emulator.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I played the original trilogy and Deadlocked and I rather enjoyed it. I never played the ones past PS2 tho so I don't know about Clank's time powers or Ratchet's race's origin.

I assumed at first that Rivet is a love interest but I guess she's a genderbent version of him from an alternate dimension? What's their dynamic and will there be a two player version of the series because of her inclusion?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd have loved to play the older ones when we got back onto PlayStation with the PS4, but...

Caldwin

Citizen
Fero: I'm still very early in the game, so they haven't met up yet. What's being implied so far is that she's her dimensions version of Ratchet. They only spoken over radio so far, so relationship is still up in the air.

How it goes is that, at first, you have alternating missions between the two of the. Then after a couple missions each they talk to each other over a radio and they both have their separate story missions Which you can switch between story missions after each mission or keep with who you're with.

Caldwin

Citizen
While I genuinely enjoyed the game. I sadly felt it was lacking. A lot of the humor from the earlier games is just.. gone. The game was glitchy (this was when it was just released) and to me, just did not shine the way the first games did.

Do not get me wrong.. Probably the best PS5 exclusive to date IMO. But if you can, I -really- suggest either tracking down a PS3 with the remasters, or booting the original trilogy up on a PS2 emulator.
I didn't respond to this? Huh! Sorry about that. If I like Rift Apart (and so far I'm absolutely loving it) I may check out some earlier stuff.

The one from PS4, I'm not sure if it's a Remaster or a remake. I only stopped playing it because I had a big backlog of games to play at the time. I may want to go back to that.

As far as other games in the series go, I wouldn't mind checking some of them out, but there's two things about that.

1. I don't want to go back any further than PS3. Now if its a PS1/PS2 game that I can still get on the PS3 store, great. Otherwise I'll have to skip it.

2. I've noticed R&C doesn't use sequel numbers. I wouldn't be looking for "Ratchet and Clank 2." I'd be looking for "Ratchet and Clank: (insert colon name here]." So...could be complicated for new guy.

But once I'm done with Rift Apart, I just might want to check out some of the older games.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
There is a remake of the "Original" Trilogy on the PS3, I KNOW physically.. I do not think it's on the store. Then Then there is Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, which start a second kinda seperate trilogy *kinda retcons stuff*. Then the one you know.. which was the Remake based on the Movie... and while it's a fine game, pales in comparioson to the others.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I dont have a PS5 yet but R&C is one of my favorite gaming franchises so you know Roft Apart is going to be my first one for the system.

I love the Ratchet and Clank Future series, it hit that sweet spot of plot relevance and comedy and action for me that feels oh so good. Crack in Time being my favorite in the entire series (so far)

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I think the reason why they didn't complete the Sly Cooper movie is cuz the Ratchet and Clank movie didn't so so well. Right?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There is a remake of the "Original" Trilogy on the PS3, I KNOW physically.. I do not think it's on the store. Then Then there is Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, which start a second kinda seperate trilogy *kinda retcons stuff*. Then the one you know.. which was the Remake based on the Movie... and while it's a fine game, pales in comparioson to the others.
If they'd just release the blasted thing on PS4/5, I'd be right on top of it.

Well, I would be, if they weren't being jerks about my account.

Caldwin

Citizen
I finished Rift Apart. I really enjoyed this game. Crack in Time seems to be the one most people advise. I'm not sure how I feel going all the way back to PS3, but if I find CiT at Disc Replay after payday, I just might consider i.

Top Bottom