Ranting about quebec: newspark edition!

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Stephen harper has officially endorsed poilievre for federal tory leadership. Here's the thing: There have been two (FOUR if you count the interns.) other leaders since harper, so why is harper giving his endorsement news worthy? Harper was the last actually successful tory leader. He was prime minister, the rest were barely opposition.

Harper is also the guy who seriously boosted the extremist indoctrination for the tories: american like assholes doing stupid shit like the trucker convoys (who've threatened to protest at the goddamn pope reconciliation visit.) and the anti-vax mandate movement are harpers fault. So of course the extremist will endorse the extremist: you can't have a good culture war without a screaming ******* lunatic at the helm.

Still: this isn't necessarily bad news. This means the tory leadership is far more likely to vote favourably for poilievre, and it increases his odds of becoming the next short term, "not even one mandate" failed leader in an ongoing string of failed leaders. The tory party is still on track to sunder.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So, it's summer, so political news in "la "belle" province" is slow due to the break, but given there's an election in october: most parties are slowly trickling out new candidates. To that point: the quebec conservative parties has adopted a disenchanted liberal and hope to flip a thirty three year old liberal stronghold... on the island of montreal...

Okay fuckwits, apparently I have to say it AGAIN: STOP CAMPAIGNING ON MONTREAL! The party to beat is the caq: they have an unimpeachable super majority and have EXACTLY ZERO SEATS in montreal. Get your asses out to the regions and STOP diluting the ******* anglo vote. Because if think the opposition was useless in their first mandate: just you wait till there's even less of it.

******* morons, I swear.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Statscan released the census data for language yesterday! And once again: it doesn't matter what it is, it's bad news.

For the record: canada is speaking slightly less french than in the last census, largely driven by immigration. Also: bilingualism is general is up, because those same immigrants also speak 2 or more languages.

Now: it's always bad news for the very simple reason that it's always an excuse for the pequists to double down. French speaking is up? "Oh, the draconian laws and oppression are working! Let's get more of it.". French speaking is down? "Welp, guess we need to crack the whip harder! More language legislation.". Every. *******. Time.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The quebec conservative party has proven that despite being new: they are little better than any other tory party in the country. They've officially begun their campaign for office ahead of the election in october.

Despite being on a fixed election cycle: the election hasn't actually been called yet, so what their doing is illegal. On top of the whole "campaigns only run 34-39" days law, so... twice illegal.

Oh, and they've yet to actually announce any candidates out in les regions, so they still won't touch the caqs super majority anyway. So illegal AND ******* useless.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
By next monday, every elementary and high school will be back in session in the province. What they might not have is their students: bus service contracts are currently still under negotiation because the industry is HEMORRHAGING drivers. Between the low wages, and ever rising prices and taxes: individual drivers and entire companies are up and calling it quits in record numbers. The government ignored the contract long enough that the problem will solve itself by dissolving the industry, seems like.

And hey: let's compound it with the minister of education STILL not having ruled on the grade 12 issue, and no one even mentioning it lately. With the restrictions put in place over enrollment in the english cegeps: it was something that needed to be done in JULY to ensure that all those students had time to slap together a plan B when they inevitably declare it illegal.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So, this is a thing that happened in alberta. Of course it would be alberta.

Christia Freeland accosted in alberta.

So now, of course, there's big talk about security for politicians. Which is merited in some cases, I will not argue that. But the politicos running around in quebec election campaign neither need, nor do they deserve any kind of overt or extra security.

More to the point: if the rhetorhic and ideology have finally reached enough of a boiling point that people are starting to actually go after politicians (in whatever slight way physically, and apparently massively online: cause these ***** are still god damn cowards.) why isn't something being done about who and what is INCITING the violence? Who's riling these ignorant fuckwits up, and why haven't they been stopped yet?

You want a safe country? Well, there isn't enough security give everyone an honour guard (not that politicians have any honour to guard.), so why not actually make the country safe for everyone by rooting out the extremism already, you ******* morons.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Alright, so this is going to get a blurb from me.

The "canadian party of quebec" is a new provincial party whose intent is to support and represent the anglos of the province. They're first bit of policy is to put in (if elected to a viable position.) legislation which would make english an official language. Not THE official language, but one of them.

It already ******* IS. canada's language laws (though thoroughly ignored in this shit hole.) already state that both french and english are the officials languages of the country. Not one or the other, not one OVER the other: both, equal, together.

Second thing: these stupid fuckers aren't going to get elected to any serious position of power. IF they sweep montreal (and I mean entirely.) they'll be a wonderfully useless opposition in face of the caqs repeat super majority. They'll never be in a position in which they can pass any language laws simply because of... militant les regions actually are. Yes, they will happily vote against their own best interest to **** over the english in name of culture war bullshit.

They will split the opposition vote: but we haven't actually HAD opposition in the province since the caq were elected anyway, so even weaker opposition in face of an unassailable enemy. ******* wonderful.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Couple of interesting stories this morning. Well, interesting to me anyway.

1.) poilievre won the torie leadership (quite handily too, charest only got 16% of the vote. Ouch.) and when giving his speech, it was basically toriy bullshit talking points. Lower taxes, smaller government, beating inflation and owning your own home. All that crap and garbage.

If we want to beat inflation, then the goverment needs to be big enough, and seperate enough from corporate money to directly challenge and legislate the corporations. Because its the corporations that are union busting, it's the corporations that are earning record profits during hyper inflation, it's the corporations that are devaluing labour and enforcing wage stagnation. A smaller government cannot oversee the laws of the lands on an sociopathic entity.

2.) And do keep in mind, this is the smaller of the two: it just really pisses me off. A fishery in vancouver has recently started crushing and reselling, among other uses, the oyster shells they generate. Turns out the stuff is great as fertilizer, calcium for birds, and even has potential in the use for landscaping as a replacement for rock powder. They used to pay someone to cart the shells off, and now they've monetized it.

Which is apparently something the rest of the world already knew, because small and medium sized chicken farms have been importing ground oyster shells for years for their chickens. So... canada is not only wasteful, we're not ******* innovating anymore. ******* pathetic.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
In typical torie fashion, poilievre called on trudeau to swear to not raise taxes on the elderly, farmers and workers. Now, understand that this shit is pure theatrics in the tories next leg of the culture war.

Were I trudeau, I would respond with a very simple statement;

"A government cannot run on the hopes and dreams of the people alone, it does take more mundane resources to function. I would like to thank Mr. poilievres for the wonderful idea of taxing the rich and the corporations. Without him, we never would have discovered this massive untapped resource."

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Welp, I did my civic doody and voted. I had plenty of time waiting in line to stare at the listing of all 8 candidates, so here's how I broke it down.

-Climate quebec, quebec green party, canadian party of quebec: they might even do something useful and meaningful; but don't have the representation to even become meaningful opposition parties, never mind leaders. They will never get elected.

-The caq, PQ and quebec solidaire: these are all seperation parties, voting for them is voting against my own best interests, the best interests of quebec, and (as much as the federals might actually deserve it.) leaving a black eye on canada.

-Quebec tories: They literally have no platform and can't even fall back onto culture war bullshit because the seperatists have sucked it all up. Unless you're driven to vote to raise the speed limit to 150 and slack on the regulations for ATV's, they are unelectable.

-The liberals: I think of the liberals the exact same way I think of the habs; a bunch of fuckwits led by a moron and coasting on the name of a long standing franchise. As an anglo; they are the single best choice for actually being represented in provinces government and they ******* wont because they'll be too busy chasing the pequists for the next election.

And the whole lot of them together becomes the quebec brady bunch: a crop of useless panty wastes and regurgitated anal glands desperately trying to get a into a better level of welfare.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Legault was visiting a native reservation today, and was heard to comment that he was open to amending bill 96 to include protections for native languages.

Which, I found odd, because several months ago, his answer to this very question was a rather emphatic NO.

Now: in which case was he lying? Was it earlier and he was trying to keep it as a treat for native voters? Or is it now? Either way: how can he be trusted when he is openly and obviously lying to the population.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Welp, election day was yesterday.

And it's second verse same as the first, but only this time, very much worse. The caq not only got their supermajority again, they got an even BIGGER one. They set a new record for seats in provincial assembly. So they could literally coordinate ALL the other parties in the house: and still not stop his horror.

Which is the exact same as the last mandate. So at this point, we basically need the federal government to step in (not to question the validity of the election, but to continually uphold the constitution and maintain the right of the citizenry, ALL of us not just "les quebecois".) to stop this asshole.

So, here we go, four more years of "tell me your a seperatist without saying your a seperatist".

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:
The conservative party in Canada is following the same trajectory as the Republican party in the US. They are attracting a lower and lower class of politicians as they try to appeal to a lower and lower class of voter.

I like the way she complains about taxes being too high and also complains about government services being too limited, almost in the same breath. This is what conservatives increasingly do: instead of a coherent platform, they just have a collection of whines which may or may not directly contradict each other.

Gone are the days when conservatives fancied themselves the more educated and rational party while liberals are "bleeding hearts". Today's conservatives are entirely driven by their basest emotional impulses, and when they opine, they sound like that one ignorant cantankerous opinionated uncle at a family gathering.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Spot on observation. It's also why they can't form a government. The prairies might vote for them en masse but there isn't enough there to get them elected to a position of power, and with the recent election of an even more radicalized old, rich, out of touch white dude to torie leadership: the trend will continue. Thankfully, there are enough other options to always allow for both a controlling faction AND an opposition which aren't screaming, americanized lunatics bent on personal fame and power at the expense of governance.

Mostly.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:
"I put a cap on nurse salary increases!"
"But nurses are quitting. We're running out of nurses."
"OK, we'll train more nurses!"
"But they'll just quit too, because of the bad working conditions and low pay".
"OK, we'll train even more nurses!"
---
Conservative Logic 101. BTW, this is not satire. This is actually what our idiot conservative premier Doug Ford is doing. Goddamned suburban voters.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Alberta's new premier has cribbed quebecs playbook and is pushing an "alberta sovereignty policy" to take power back from ottawa!

Someone wanna tell that stupid bitch that it hasn't worked in half a century and never will.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So, the leader of the PQ is refusing to swear to the king during the oath of office when the next session starts. Something that every individual representative has done since new france was traded off from the french for sugar and warm weather. Perhaps he would prefer swearing to napoleon instead of charles?

Now, considering the PQ is not actually an official party, and this out and out jackass is not only expecting but DEMANDING to sit in the provincial assembly despite both of these things, he's also willing to take the whole thing to court over it. So nice to see that american styled political theatrics have fully impregnated our systems. Can't wait to see how the court case turns out, and what excuses he'll make when he loses.

Top Bottom