Random Thoughts From Out of Nowhere

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Yeah, tec's somewhat specific in his tastes. The thread used to be more active before the forums blew up. Most people just posted thirsty pics. I used to troll the thread with girls tec definitely wouldn't like (and guys, too).

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Yeah, tec's somewhat specific in his tastes. The thread used to be more active before the forums blew up. Most people just posted thirsty pics. I used to troll the thread with girls tec definitely wouldn't like (and guys, too).
Well, I couldn't resist teasing him a bit with my "Portrait of Markiplier" post. (Also throwing in a Morbius meme reference, because that's just how I am).

At least the main event (with secret Halloween treat video link!) was appreciated by some. 🙂 I mean, if you're going to talk about AI art in a largely anime-themed thread in October, then someone's going to use it as a cue.... and I will bring coffee cake and discussion topics. 😉

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
Eh. They’ll all just probably move to Reddit or back to tumblr. There’s also a non-zero chance that they stay there anyway and complain about it the entire time.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I mean there's also a non-zero chance the entire site goes under completely too.

Like I think everyone knew Musk owning Twitter was gonna be bad but I think most people were expecting it to be a gradual death not him speedrunning it.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Majority of people I'm following are either in denial, or moving to somewhere in Mastodon. A handful are going to cohost, tumblr, instagram, or advertising their Discord or Telegram.

And it's only been -2 weeks-.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The problem with Mastodon is that it's too obtuse for the average person to want to use (and Cohost isn't trying to be a replacement for any existing social media but rather trying to be Yet Another Thing® but from what I've seen, it's basically just Tumblr but in a Twitter-like format?).

Eh, I'm already on Tumblr and Discord but I'll probably join a Mastodon instance or whatever the **** they're called and create a Cohost account too, just to cover all my bases.

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
Far as I’m concerned, burning twitter to the ground is an improvement.

As long as the Sonic twitter can still afford to pay 8 bucks a month, I see this as a win for humanity

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The problem is there's entire communities that, for better or worse, have (or possibly soon had) to live and die by Twitter because it's (unfortunately) the best platform for their needs.

Like look at artists, for example. Are there other sites out there to post art on? Absolutely, no one is denying that. But Twitter is the best site for allowing artists to self-promote their work, grow and interact with their audience, etc. If/when Twitter goes under, those people are completely fucked because they'd have to try and regrow their audience from scratch on a new site that likely only has a fraction of the audience of Twitter (and that's not even to say if whatever platform they move to even has the same level of interaction they can do on Twitter).

Hell that's not even getting into just trying to maintain contact with friend groups, news, etc. on the site and whatever happens to it in the future.

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
If it wasn't Elon, it would have been shareholders, government regulations, being bought out by Google or any number of things that might have ruined it. We saw what happened to Deviant Art and Tumblr; all it takes to nuke a platform is one policy change. Shit happens and too often, that shit is somebody with too much money.

Last edited:

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Haven't moved yet. It is amusing to see all the parody accounts paying $8 just to make fun of Elon.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Honestly, the hardest part of Mastodon is getting set up in the first place. All the instances can make it confusing for people used to a single site(and whitelist-only instances don't help). it has the advantage though that no one can buy it out or kill it in the same way. People wihtout a specific community to follow there though, yeah, they may not have a reason to go there in the first place. I still predict that the random joe that's not following any specific community is going to end up on TikTok - especially the "kids."

I do wonder what the brands will do. I could see them settling on TikTok and Facebook(which might even push traffic for the latter if that's where they atart making all their announcements). I could also se them setting up their own Mastodon instances if it becomes and/or stays popular enough but I could also see said instances being blocked by other instances to make them go away.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Yeah that's why I haven't joined it yet, there's too many instances and I know it's not 'you can only interact with the one you've joined' but how do I decide which dumbass one to join

(Seriously is there just a general instance or whatever, there has to be one right?)

Edit: Yeah there are, cool. My dumb ass will sign up when I'm not on my phone

Last edited:

Top Bottom