Question about Cog and moldmates' guns

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
So I just transformed my Siege Cog to robot mode for the first time in ages (I've had him attached to Fort Max as weapons) and immediately rediscovered how he has trouble holding his guns... which hasn't been a problem with my Red Cog at all. On close examination, it looks like the handles on his guns have been slightly retooled to make them fit more securely.

My questions are:

1. Can anyone who has both Cog and Red Cog confirm that this is an actual difference and I didn't just win the QC lottery?

2. Does anyone have all three of Cog, Aragon, and Red Cog, and if so, which version of the guns does Aragon have?

Nevermore

Citizen
I don't have Red Cog yet, but my Aragon 's guns sit considerably more securely in the figure's hands than my original Cog's.

Galvaplexia

Flamboyant Cuddles!!!
Citizen
Everything about Arago(r)n(😋) is rock solid. From how Walt and Grommet or Ratchet and Clank or whatever the hell the components are called attach together, to how his own pieces fit together on him and other figures, to how he can more solidly hold his guns (at least on my copy). And then Red Cog happened and it was like the greatness never happened.🤷🏻‍♀️

Red Cog uses the Aragorn version of the guns, so at least on my copy, he can hold his guns very securely. The rest of him however…😒

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think my Aragon was okay, but I got two Cogs (one for a custom) and one had looseish guns and the other was okay. Haven't got Red Cog yet, but am considering it.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Thanks, everyone!

I think my Aragon was okay, but I got two Cogs (one for a custom) and one had looseish guns and the other was okay. Haven't got Red Cog yet, but am considering it.
Hm. Do you still have the okay Cog's guns unmodified (i.e. you didn't paint the handles for the custom or anything)? I was trying to determine whether the fix originated with Red Cog or Aragon, but now I'm wondering if it was a running change on original Cog that nobody noticed.

The handle on the fixed gun is a little wider across the flat sides, and there's less of a bevel on the end.

Galvaplexia

Flamboyant Cuddles!!!
Citizen
Thanks, everyone!

Hm. Do you still have the okay Cog's guns unmodified (i.e. you didn't paint the handles for the custom or anything)? I was trying to determine whether the fix originated with Red Cog or Aragon, but now I'm wondering if it was a running change on original Cog that nobody noticed.

The handle on the fixed gun is a little wider across the flat sides, and there's less of a bevel on the end.
Ooh you just reminded me of something. Yes, it was a running change on Cog that was just implemented permanently going forward. I remember the very first Cog I bought was so awful quality-wise I just stuck it back in the box and tossed it in a storage bin. It was several months later I was itching to do a project that featured 2 Cogs and I found another one mint on a shelf in a collectors’ shop for retail prices and bought him. Then i noticed everything was super tight on him. I compared the two and noticed that 1) they were different batch numbers, and 2) the pegs for the guns were molded slightly differently between the versions. So yes, it was a running change on the original Cog mold that was (thankfully) implemented on all its follow up versions.

They still have to fix those damn thighs though….😒

Xellos

Citizen
Also, one thing to be careful when buying Red Cog, check that the bottom of the package has not been opened. I bought one yesterday only to find that the bottom had already been opened and there were no weapons at all. I returned it, but found that all the others had been opened, too (the toy area is a complete mess, none were on the peg). They DID have one out back, so I did get a good one eventually, and, yeah, all his accessories are all rolled in that stupid paper, unsecured, in the bottom of the package, so all it takes is someone to open the bottom and some inconspicuous tissue paper filled with all the goodies falls out.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Also, one thing to be careful when buying Red Cog, check that the bottom of the package has not been opened. I bought one yesterday only to find that the bottom had already been opened and there were no weapons at all. I returned it, but found that all the others had been opened, too (the toy area is a complete mess, none were on the peg). They DID have one out back, so I did get a good one eventually, and, yeah, all his accessories are all rolled in that stupid paper, unsecured, in the bottom of the package, so all it takes is someone to open the bottom and some inconspicuous tissue paper filled with all the goodies falls out.

I was worried about that when I bought mine. I made sure to hold onto the receipt until I got a chance to check for the weapons.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
It's partially due to the packaging thing that I'm starting to favor online over physical for the few things I get. Anything I've gotten in stores, even for gifts, I've carefully opened to see if everything is there before resealing it, just to make sure I'm not giving someone something incomplete.

Top Bottom