Quality of Life Improvements That Make Old Games Impossible to Play

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
We have a thread about outdated game mechanics (someone should bump that). How about game mechanics that may not be new necessarily, but they were brought about after the OG and it makes playing the OG unpleasant if not unplayable?

Maps:
I've personally played the original Metroid game so much that I don't really need a map. But with every game since Super Metroid on including a map, as much as I love it, I know that not having a map is what keeps a lot of people today from playing it.

Pokemon:
I started playing Pokemon at Alpha Sapphire. So playing any Pokemon without EXP Share or False Swipe just doesn't work for me. That's a major reason I just couldn't get into it.

Graphics were another thing. Go back to any Pokemon on Game Boy or Game Boy Color and look at your mon in the PC. Unless you know what pokemon is what (and heaven help you if you gave it a nickname) does that little icon really help you know what Pokemon you're looking at?

More recent games have thankfully given us dedicated rides, making HM slaves a thing of the past. Could I play another game with HM slaves? Sure, but it wouldn't be pleasant.

Also, being able to switch out pokemon whenever you want instead of hiking back to a Pokecenter, switching out moves whenever you want instead of finding the move tutor...both really nice quality of life improvements.

Every RPG:
This includes Pokemon, but it's also about RPG's in general. Having enemies on the map instead of random encounters. I can go back and play games with random encounters. In fact, if I could just get back to it, I'm trying to play Dragon Quest V. But enemies on the map are so much better.

Save States:
Go back and play a game that uses codes, I dare you.

Switching between games from the console main menu:
Now, this only works between digital games and/or the single game that's in the drive...and I will always be pro-physical media. But one of the best things about digital media is being able to switch games without having to get up and change the disk/cartridge.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I like early Pokemon graphics. I love the stupid little generic mon icons. They're memorable designs in their own way. Maybe you had to be there.

I have one though. Try playing The Legend of Zelda today without any help. The solution to every puzzle in the game is "Just happen to know that this exists." Or just bomb every single chunk of wall and torch every single bush in the entire game. Good luck narrowing it down The hints are esoteric nonsense, and it's not all bad translation. Also good luck navigating some of the later dungeons. Even if the route in theory isn't too bad, it can be hard to remember when every room looks the same. One thing the franchise really does right is giving each dungeon some personality, but things didn't start that way.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I have the maps of Zelda pretty much memorized up to level 4-5. But yeah, even with a map , Death Mountain can be a chore. Maps have come a long way.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I have one though. Try playing The Legend of Zelda today without any help. The solution to every puzzle in the game is "Just happen to know that this exists." Or just bomb every single chunk of wall and torch every single bush in the entire game. Good luck narrowing it down The hints are esoteric nonsense, and it's not all bad translation. Also good luck navigating some of the later dungeons. Even if the route in theory isn't too bad, it can be hard to remember when every room looks the same. One thing the franchise really does right is giving each dungeon some personality, but things didn't start that way.
I honestly wonder how they expected kids to figure any of that stuff out, barring "buy the strategy guide/magazine that straight-up tells them all the solutions" (which they will never admit to even if it was the intent). The official answer was "They'll exchange tips on the playground", but that still assumes someone they know found out some other way.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Someone at Nintendo did tell his kid the answers so he could get them circulating, but no one believed him.

Top Bottom