Power Rangers General Discussion Thread

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I get why long term fans would be happy to see them, but as with Jason in Beast Morphers, they are both just so old now it feels weird to me.

I guess part of it is gonna come down to how they use them.

-ZacWilliam, it's a fun idea at least.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I get why long term fans would be happy to see them, but as with Jason in Beast Morphers, they are both just so old now it feels weird to me.

I guess part of it is gonna come down to how they use them.

-ZacWilliam, it's a fun idea at least.
I dunno, I kinda like the sense of legacy it gives the franchise, much like in Japan. Or with Star Trek, where basically that role belongs to them.

...with the odd and more recent exceptions of movie reboots, of course.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
This MIGHT just be a hand-off from the Nickelodeon/Saban guys to Hasbro. Dino Fury was kind of a co-production while everything got transferred over, if I remember right.

Hasbro DOES seem to be leaning towards doing things in-house, though. Cosmic Fury might be a testing ground for a completely original Power Rangers season. I think they'll find it's more expensive than they might think and go back to using Sentai stuff, though.

Shadewing

Citizen
Its been rumored for awhile that Hasbro is wanting to try to produce all in house, this has lead to people thinking something gone wrong on the back end between them and Toei; but the Cosmic Fury panel states that their relationship is still strong as ever. I think we might see something like what we get with Transformers, where Hasbro gets help on designing stuff. So even if its all original, Toei might still help in creating stuff for the series; just unique stuff separate from whatever Sentai they are working on. While its just a theory, it does follow a known pattern of theirs.

MrBlud

Citizen
Maybe they worked something out where eOne gets the costumes and suits and whatnot after they’re done with them?

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Its been rumored for awhile that Hasbro is wanting to try to produce all in house, this has lead to people thinking something gone wrong on the back end between them and Toei; but the Cosmic Fury panel states that their relationship is still strong as ever. I think we might see something like what we get with Transformers, where Hasbro gets help on designing stuff. So even if its all original, Toei might still help in creating stuff for the series; just unique stuff separate from whatever Sentai they are working on. While its just a theory, it does follow a known pattern of theirs.
Another consideration is looking back over the past several years of Sentai series….a LOT of them have questionable value in terms of a conversion to Power Rangers. Hasbro might be trying to stay out of a position where they get stuck with a lackluster or culturally conflicting Sentai series by taking lead for their own markets.

Kyuranger at least fits with the “cosmic” theme, but we‘ve had a series based Trains, and blocks and having a team of Androids instead of assorted people. Toei has been doing some weird stuff, and maybe Hasbro wants stuff that’s a bit more..traditional..than what Toei seems to be going for at the moment.

Also, for anyone with Ollies, they’ve gotten some building block sets from the company Forever Clever based on the Megazord and Dragonzord. IIRC they were $20 a pop and featured a couple hundred pieces. Forever Clever is notable for their low cost GI Joe building blocks.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It was interesting that (as Shadewing pointed out) one of the things they made sure to stress at the panel was that they continue to have a strong relationship with Toei. Not that that necessarily means anything; it could just mean "we're not making this change because of problems with Toei".

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
and having a team of Androids instead of assorted people.
Before the announcement of Cosmic Fury, I had been thinking that a way they could have adapted Zenkaiger for the 30th anniversary season would have been to take advantage of the four megazord-styled suits and the one Gokaiger-based suit and try to get back the actors who played the respectively-colored rangers in the seasons that those suits are based on.

The red Dino Megazord-based ranger could have been Rocky (Jason's actor has that whole fraud charges thing going on and probably wouldn't have done it anyway, since "Grid Connection" was his final send-off from the series)

The yellow Wild Force Megazord-based one could have been Taylor.

The pink Titan Megazord-based one could have been Vida.

The blue Drivemax Megazord-based one could have been Dax (as unpopular as he was, this could have been a chance to redeem him with better writing).

The gold Super Megaforce-looking Sixth Ranger could have been Orion (and, like Dax, given another chance to be written better as a character).

The white-and-red ranger could have either been another legacy character (not Tommy, he got plenty of attention in "Dimensions in Danger") or a new character who gets to be mentored by all these past rangers.

And the purple one based on Battle Fever J could have been handled like Jarrod and Camille in Jungle Fury, an antagonist who eventually switches sides to become an Extra Hero but not a ranger himself.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
While watching Dino Fury's last set of episodes; there was a line that made me thought they might be setting up Kiramager as Cosmic Fury.

After Green Master sacrafices herself to seal Zedd and both are trapped in a crystaline prison, the team is wondering of some way to help her. "Is there a power ranger team with crystal powers?" And yeah... Kinda... That's Kiramager's whole gimmick. And was the other series (after Kyuranger) that I wanted to see for Cosmic Fury. The colors are even almost right. Maybe change Aiyon to Yellow and let Javi be Silver)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Hehe, the Zeo Rangers also had powers based from crystals.

The MMPR Rangers also used crystals to control their Dinozords.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The red Dino Megazord-based ranger could have been Rocky (Jason's actor has that whole fraud charges thing going on and probably wouldn't have done it anyway, since "Grid Connection" was his final send-off from the series)
Wait, it was?

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Walmart has some new exclusives:
A series of VHS styled basic rangers. MMPR Red, Black and Yellow. These are NOT Lightning caliber! They are equivalent to the kids line. As is, Red is probably a reuse from the Amazon set from a couple years ago.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He originally wasn't even going to do it at all. He only agreed to do it for one specific reason related to something that was only happening in that season of the show:

Ahhhhhh, interesting. I never knew. I always figured it was his friction with JDF and his being their go-to guy for stuff like this that kept him away.

Thanks for sharing that!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Ahhhhhh, interesting. I never knew. I always figured it was his friction with JDF and his being their go-to guy for stuff like this that kept him away.

Thanks for sharing that!
Well, for Super Megaforce, he declined to come back for the Legendary Battle because he was busy serving in Iraq at the time:

Top Bottom