Power Rangers General Discussion Thread

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Not spoiling the following since it's not from Once & Always.

On the subject of the Moon Palace, Master Vile's debut episode in MMPR season 3 mentioned that the Zeo Crystal was hidden by monks from the M51 Galaxy in the Caves of Deception located beneath the palace, so it may not have originally been built by either Rita or Zedd back when it was first built.

And while, as ZakuConvoy just said, the Boom comics aren't necessarily in-continuity with the show, the comics gave the name "Bandorians" to the monks guarding the Zeo Crystal from within the palace at a time before Zedd and Rita took ownership of the place.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Ack, I forgot about those guys.

Mighty-Morphin-9-Preview-Page-1.jpeg
Yeah, that answers it. I'm satisfied.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've had a few days for things to sink in.

Once and Always is a very Power Rangers joint, for better or for worse. It's flawed, but sincere, and thus meaningful.

The flaws are what you'd expect, but none of them are dealbreakers. The uneven acting/directing, hokey dialogue, and shoestring-budget effects are honestly a comforting signature of Power Rangers for me. Hell, I half hoped the Zord fight would still have some elements of dudes in rubber robot suits on a sound stage. But the CGI was much appreciated, although I wish the final blow had been a traditional big slash rather than what seemed like a poke. (I will agree with missing the robot/computer voice!)

For good or ill, it's got a very "fan film" vibe to it. Even feels like someone walked around a convention and picked up the actors that were there and still happily connected to the franchise, and took them to a studio in the building with tiny sets to film this on. And this leads to the reunion angle feeling a bit off, since it's a mix-and-match grouping of S1, 2, and 3 members, with Billy being the only real thread through it all.

This is punctuated by the odd image of only two Rangers removing their helmets on the cliff -- either don't do it at all, or have just Billy doing it; otherwise, you just draw attention to three Rangers who stay helmeted despite the emotional circumstances.

Now, obviously that can't be helped since two of the original six have passed on (one of them having stepped away from the brand when this was being made) and two more are at a distance for varying reasons. But to be fair, this mixed does lend itself very well to a nice "everyone knows everyone" mindset or headcanon where all the "alumni" know or at least know of each other. (I haven't followed any of the shows closely since early Zeo, and I've been holding off getting into the comics, so idk if that's also been played with there.) Seeing Zack and Adam interact for what to me is the first time onscreen was a cool moment, given the last thing I remember from S2 was Adam being around with perennially-morphed or reused-footage Zack. Also good to see Kat getting to morph with "Pterodactyl" for what I think is the first time (although oof, the lighting for the morphing sequence was a bit rough?).

I did appreciate them occasionally using old audio (at least in the one offscreen morphing sequence at the cemetery) to help sell the presence of the others, and wish they'd used more fight-yelling ADR.

I have no idea how the Dino powers are back (MMPR's run destroyed and rebooted things a number of times, literally dusting the last batch of Power Coins at the end). But I figure with Adam having shown up once or twice in earlier series and the Red and Green Rangers showing up a while back as well that this is something that was addressed long ago. Or at least handwaved away. (Forgive my lack of lore knowledge.) It was nice to see the "proxy Power Coins" and "duplicating powers" topics lampshaded ("too much Pink energy", heh).

I figured Alpha 8 was gone/wiped/destroyed immediately upon being possessed, rather than being in there somewhere to be rescued at any point. It was an interesting plot twist, reminiscent of JLU's Brainiac/Darkseid return twist. I love that Barbara Goodson and Richard Horvitz still sound mostly the same.

I actually wanted more Bulk and Skull. They're lifers and iirc fairly cool dudes in general. Genuinely thought at first that the person falling through the sign was Skull, and hoped they'd pop in at the end at the Juice Bar (which is just as 90s as ever).

Bandora Protocol was a great nod, and all the Bandora-ing in general was a neat easter egg. I did wonder (upon seeing the trailer) why that shot had a graphic cycling through the different Ranger locations/bases throughout the years, and now it's clearer as to why. Just a shame that this and Rita's action figure display was about the extent of it. It was a nice effort that tried to include the post-MMPR groups in an MMPR-centric anniversary, but it did create some narrative wrinkles. Then again, Power Rangers has had its bigger-scale intergenerational anniversary episodes before, and this is a way to do a more narrow-focus, more intimate one. Still, would love a director's cut sort of thing with a bunch of Viewing Globe talking head updates from different parts of the globe where other teams battled Putties.

It was pretty wild seeing the weapons deployed and used in a non-standards and practices context. So much stabbing. And Billy icing Robo-Rita like that took me aback.

It was nice to see a gay couple being saved/protected by a (future) Ranger, in the same special that David Yost came back to a prominent role for.

To be honest, when trailers first broke I was a bit surprised at Trini's death being written into the plot as an in-the-line-of-duty death. All these years I'd figured it might be in better taste to just have it be a natural death off-duty, living her civilian life post-peace conference, maybe after having started a family but not while/from fighting Rita. I'm still not sure I like this direction any better, but I do appreciate how it was handled. That conversation between Zack and Billy right after was the most interesting part of the special for me, partly because both actors really gave it weight. We never really got to see much of the real-life stakes of all this in the old show, because that was just never something they dealt with at the time (outside of momentous plot devices that could be used to write actors off the show).

I did like the sitdown and reconciliation at the end, reminiscing about Trini and such. It's the sort of thing I figured would happen in the one-year gap, but it makes sense that it would be too soon or too uncomfortable a topic. It's a great note to end on. While it calls to mind how comparatively little Trini got to do in the old show, they did get a few interesting moments (and they did work other aspects of her character in, like the Mantis fighting style that's even explicitly called out).

Ending on "Down the Road"... I wasn't expecting it at all, somehow. And I will say it got me. As broad and general as the lyrics can be, context gives it so much weight (then and now), and you could have Amy Jo Johnson sing me a takeout menu and I'd be no less in love.

It works brilliantly even as just a coda for an anniversary special and nothing more -- that one long shot of all of them, just babies, in a show that was basically "FRIENDS For Kids, Also Featuring Rainbow Karate", so long ago. But that it also works as a wistful tribute and ode to kinship with those no longer with us... those two closeups right before the cut got me. I've seen the song used as a tribute piece over the years, especially for Thuy Trang, but last year's loss of JDF just came rushing right back with this. And the realization here that down the line the tribute will apply to more and more of them as we all age, well... I'm not ready for that.

Still, this pushed the right buttons, and gave me a nice, tidy little story that had a little of everything, from Hip-hop-kido to Harvey Garvey to the S.P.A. to the Clean-Up Club to Shellshock.

I'm glad they got to make this. I'm glad this is a thing. And I hope the brand continues to do well.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
The lack of Bulk and Skull did kinda feel weird. I get that people would expect bumbling antics from the duo and that would clash with the tone of the special, but still, at least popping in at the end would be nice.

Also, a sandwich franchise? As a semi-lapsed fan the last thing I remember of them was that they graduated from inept bullies into cops in training and then private detectives. I liked seeing them transition from being obnoxious doofs into "productive" members of society working to make their town safer(in their own way) and inspired by the heroes that save their monster-prone city. Having them simply be successful (?) Restaurateurs feels like a step back. Sure its less problematic (depending on who you ask) but kinda feels like a less lofty accomplishment than dedicating their lives to protecting Angel Grove in a way they capable of.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Ack, I forgot about those guys.

Mighty-Morphin-9-Preview-Page-1.jpeg
Yeah, that answers it. I'm satisfied.
All except for the fact that, in Once & Always, the protocol alert being called the "Bandora Protocol" still raises questions since the alert had nothing to do with those monks.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I've had a few days for things to sink in.
But to be fair, this mixed does lend itself very well to a nice "everyone knows everyone" mindset or headcanon where all the "alumni" know or at least know of each other. (I haven't followed any of the shows closely since early Zeo, and I've been holding off getting into the comics, so idk if that's also been played with there.)
Yeah, when later seasons started doing more team-up episodes between previous and current ranger teams, the show began to grow a sense of different teams coming to know more about each other until, over time, this big network of past rangers all knowing each other pretty much blossomed into what it is today.

The 10th anniversary episode in Wild Force, "Forever Red", showed that most of the ten Red Rangers who all teamed up together in that special already knew each other by the time of that episode, with only the newest Red Ranger, Cole, meeting most of them for the first time ever in that episode.

By the time of the 21st season, Super Megaforce, it's established that there's a whole Ranger Database that chronicles all of the history and exploits of previous ranger teams from MMPR season 1 onward, and which would go on to be shared with other ranger teams in later seasons to each apprised of the other teams.

Also in Super Megaforce, the final episode had the big Legendary Battle with every past ranger coming to help the current team fight their last big battle of the season, forming a large Power Ranger army. Those among them who removed their helmets before the battle let the newest team know that the older rangers were all aware of the new team's efforts and commended them for it, pretty much making it clear that all of the past rangers had by now come to be very familiar with each other offscreen.

This extended familiarity carried over into the 25th anniversary episode in Super Ninja Steel, "Dimensions in Danger", where another group of ten past rangers from various different teams across the Zordon Era, the Post-Zordon Era, the Disney Era, and the Neo-Saban Era, were all gathered together and shown to already know each other beforehand, including rangers from different universes (specifically, RPM and Dino Charge/Dino Super Change took place in separate universes from the main one), having visited to the main universe via portal technology.

I have no idea how the Dino powers are back (MMPR's run destroyed and rebooted things a number of times, literally dusting the last batch of Power Coins at the end). But I figure with Adam having shown up once or twice in earlier series and the Red and Green Rangers showing up a while back as well that this is something that was addressed long ago. Or at least handwaved away. (Forgive my lack of lore knowledge.)
Yeah, the restoration of the MMPR powers has been something of an enigma, but by now it's no longer really questioned anymore since there's been several reappearances of MMPR rangers in the years since.

The original Power Coins were shorted out when Rita's brother Rito destroyed the Thunder Megazord and White Tigerzord at the beginning of MMPR Season 3, so the Rangers got new Ninja Power Coins from Ninjor. But then Goldar destroyed those coins during the Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers mini-series that bridged the gap between MMPR Season 3 and Zeo.

During In Space, Adam returned for one episode in which he showed that he still had his original morpher with the damaged Mastodon coin in it, and tried to morph into the MMPR Black Ranger with it despite Alpha telling him that doing so might kill him. He succeeded in morphing, but in an unstable state that could barely be sustained and severely hurt him. Fortunately, he survived the ordeal.

In the aforementioned "Forever Red" episode, Jason returned as the representative of MMPR and morphed into the original Red Ranger form using the Tyrannosaurus coin. How he got his powers back (especially after having transferred them to Rocky) was never explained, but most just assumed that Rocky simply gave Jason back the morpher at some previous point offscreen, and that either the original coin was somehow repaired or a new one was made.

When Adam came back again for the 15th anniversary episode in Operation Overdrive, "Once A Ranger (Parts 1-2)", he again morphed into the MMPR Black Ranger using the Mastodon coin, but it was actually explained in that episode that Adam's powers (as well as those of the four other past rangers who also came back for this two-parter) were magically restored by the powers of a magical being known as the Sentinel Knight, who was a recurring character during that season.

By the time of the aforementioned Super Megaforce finale, every single morphing power of every single previous ranger team was working again. While no explanation was given, by this point, enough time had past in the franchise's history that it was believable for every previous ranger team who had ever lost their powers to now have them back again.

But in the aforementioned "Dimensions in Danger", Tommy was one of the returning faces and revealed that he was in the possession of a special morpher called the Master Morpher, which enabled him to access the powers of nearly every single morphing power he's ever had. In that episode, he demonstrated the Master Morpher's ability to let him morph into MMPR Green, MMPR While, Zeo Red, and Dino Thunder Black (he didn't morph into Turbo Red, but the comics revealed that the Master Morpher has that form too). No explanation was given for where the Master Morpher came from or how Tommy got it, but by that point, there had been several seasons of Ranger teams having manmade morphers that the Master Morpher's origins didn't feel as needing to be explained as it would have felt had it been introduced many seasons earlier. Plus, by then, we were in a post-Super Megaforce world, so old powers coming back with no explanation was pretty much old news by that point.

I actually wanted more Bulk and Skull. They're lifers and iirc fairly cool dudes in general. Genuinely thought at first that the person falling through the sign was Skull, and hoped they'd pop in at the end at the Juice Bar (which is just as 90s as ever).
I was okay with the lack of Bulk and Skull since, even though it was all the way back in 2011-2012, Bulk previously returned as a series regular for all of Samurai and Super Samurai, and Skull reunited with him for a guest appearance in the final episode of the latter. And in that final episode, Skull was revealed to be super rich, with a limousine and fancy clothes and everything. Taking this special into account, Maybe Skull is the head of a successful sandwich company and he finally brought Bulk in as his business partner (though, why he and Bulk weren't already business partners during Samurai raises some more questions, but still).

And before that, both had also returned for a single scene in "Forever Red".

To be honest, when trailers first broke I was a bit surprised at Trini's death being written into the plot as an in-the-line-of-duty death. All these years I'd figured it might be in better taste to just have it be a natural death off-duty, living her civilian life post-peace conference, maybe after having started a family but not while/from fighting Rita. I'm still not sure I like this direction any better, but I do appreciate how it was handled.
I don't disagree. I had originally wished that, if they were going to say she died, that it would have been something that happened years ago offscreen and just leave it at that. Rita killing her in cold-blood initially felt kinda harsh, but I agree that they handled the aftermath of her death very well.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
A few thoughts about the palace:

The whole: "Why is it called Bandora, why was the protocol called that. Honestly the sad fact is it just doesn't matter. Several have pointed out some stuff from the comics that goes into it a bit that gives us an idea of why the palace is called that. Maybe the protocol was just the random word they came up for it. I really don't think it needs a lore dump for why. It just is, and at the end of the day. Doesn't really matter.

That being said, I get if one is frustrated by it, as it kinda feels like me wishing the Megazord had it's "Sequence initiated" soundclip. Doesn't really matter but I wanted it!

HOWEVER, this leads me to MY problem with the Bandora palace. So... we all pretty much agree that Rita rebuilt it during that year gap right? I'm sorry how in the HELL did the rangers miss this? Like Rita spent all her time terrorizing you FROM THE MOON when she first arrived. Wouldn't the first thing you'd do is have drones or something or the viewing globe CONSTANTLY scanning the moon for any activity? How did she build this with no one noticing!?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
A few thoughts about the palace:

HOWEVER, this leads me to MY problem with the Bandora palace. So... we all pretty much agree that Rita rebuilt it during that year gap right? I'm sorry how in the HELL did the rangers miss this? Like Rita spent all her time terrorizing you FROM THE MOON when she first arrived. Wouldn't the first thing you'd do is have drones or something or the viewing globe CONSTANTLY scanning the moon for any activity? How did she build this with no one noticing!?
You know, that's a very good point. I guess it falls into the same "Idiot Ball" logic of the rangers not immediately destroying Snizzard and Minotaur once the two were captured by the magnet.

Although, there's also the possibility that, with the MMPR rangers now being adults, they probably have jobs and lives that keep them busy enough outside of their ranger duties. But then again, Billy would have had no such excuse since his company has a secret Command Center built underneath it for the express purpose of ranger work and keeping in touch with other rangers teams around the globe and out in space. He really really should have kept a better watch of the moon and not have just assumed Rita would instead simply set up house inside the Dark Dimension.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I figured she spent all year in the Dark Dimension fabricating it and then just plopped it onto the moon fully formed. Helps that it looked sufficiently different inside and fairly scaled down.

It's a palace-sized question mark, but still a bit smaller to me than the Rangers' reluctance to take out Minotaur and Snizzard. The vague "all-out destruction" line only works if you pay it off with the team having a more "optimal" strategy, like they MEANT for Rita to get them back -- perhaps with a virus or whatever to infect Rita's console and/or allow them to teleport into the palace.

Or they could have played the Zordon card and brought up the unnecessary escalation rule (which I like less). I mean, at least they put a line in there about the monsters not simply being able to teleport out. But leaving it at that really smacked of something lacking.

Last edited:

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
You know, that's a very good point. I guess it falls into the same "Idiot Ball" logic of the rangers not immediately destroying Snizzard and Minotaur once the two were captured by the magnet.

Although, there's also the possibility that, with the MMPR rangers now being adults, they probably have jobs and lives that keep them busy enough outside of their ranger duties. But then again, Billy would have had no such excuse since his company has a secret Command Center built underneath it for the express purpose of ranger work and keeping in touch with other rangers teams around the globe and out in space. He really really should have kept a better watch of the moon and not have just assumed Rita would instead simply set up house inside the Dark Dimension.
Billy also has Alpha 9 and I doubt he has much to do other than ranger work. Her building it in some other dimension and plopping it out is the only likely explanation I think works.

Shadewing

Citizen
Anyone else think Rita's plan was doomed from the start? Rita isn't the most reasonable especially in the early years, but also Robo Rita? She'd likely be accused of being from the Machine Empire.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Anyone else think Rita's plan was doomed from the start? Rita isn't the most reasonable especially in the early years, but also Robo Rita? She'd likely be accused of being from the Machine Empire.
Not spoiling this since it's not a spoiler:

There's a reason I was initially hesitant when it was first rumored that a returning Rita would be the villain of this special instead of the already recently revived Lord Zedd, since the original Rita had long established herself to be neither the sharpest knife in the shed nor the most credible threat as far as main villains in Power Rangers go, what with her original track record consisting of many plots that were simply meant to mildly inconvenience the rangers or even just "make them feel sad" rather than outright harming them. She was more of a comedic threat in the MMPR days than not.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't disagree. I had originally wished that, if they were going to say she died, that it would have been something that happened years ago offscreen and just leave it at that. Rita killing her in cold-blood initially felt kinda harsh, but I agree that they handled the aftermath of her death very well.
Of course, if you remove Rita killing Trini in cold blood, then you lose half the story of the entire thing.

Unrelated:

I kind of enjoyed how this almost felt half in-character, half out.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
So all this talk of Once and Always got me itching for some Power Rangers I never got around to. There's plenty I've never seen. I absolutely HATE the designs of the Zeo suits and didn't have much interest in the "Machine Empire" so I kinda fell out of it. Got a little bit into Turbo, loved the hell out of In space, and I remember watching like the first few episodes of Lost Galaxy, but for whatever reason I had to stop. So I never got to see it. So I'm fixing that now.

Wow some of the acting is a bit stiff ain't it? I'm hoping they get better as the series goes on.

Just finished episode 4 "Rookie in Red"

We start with Leo talking about how he'll never be as good as Mike, then goes into him clowning around with his training. Like yeah you say you'll do Mike proud. Yeah that's the way to go. >_>

Then at the end: "I made fake sabers so you'd reveal to us the location of the daggers!" Like what? When did you know about those? When did you have time to make fake sabers!?

EDIT: Oh just wanted to add that I have seen Linkara's reviews of all the series, so I know a few things. I know about that thing with Kendra. Just figured I'd mention that in case people were thinking: "Oh man wait till he sees THAT part!" Yeah I already know sorry.

Editing in a few more episodes rather then keep making new posts.

Just watched the one where Kendra looks like the movie star. Not how I thought the plot would go, but it's still kinda meh.

Then later: "Quasar blasters!" Uh, where the hell did those come from? Also why would the lights of Orion be hidden in a random camera?

Last edited:

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Right Kendrix. Need to remember that.

I'm a bit more in. The Magna Defender popped up. I know basically his deal as well and why his fighting skills are familiar to Leo.

Them showing the flashback of the son dying. I'm sorry he basically just goes "Bleh" and falls over. Another case of not great voice acting ruining the moment. I swear I don't remember the voice work being this stiff on Power Rangers before. What happened this season? I can see the logic of them thinking the lights are hidden in various areas now if the Magna Defender set them loose a long time ago. But how would they have ended up on Terra Nova? Terra Nova didn't exist way back then! Also if they weren't in that rock, then why was that random rock so damn hard to destroy? What was the point?

...Terra Venture. Why did I put Terra Nova? The heck did I get that from?

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So I'm way late to the party on this, but I just found out that Catherine Sutherland and Nakia Burrise have their own YouTube channel called Power Rangers Playback (not to be confused with the old Fox Kids reruns of MMPR that were named "Power Rangers Power Playback") where the two of them talk abou their time on the show, watch old episodes and give commentary on them, do interviews with other past members of the series, and just have a grand old time in general. They've been doing this for the past three years.

Going through their oldest videos, this one in particular has them looking at the second episode of Zeo, and they just have great fun laughing and commenting on everything in it:

Last edited:

Top Bottom