Potential CW Sale and the end of the Arrowverse

ATTENTION: If you had an account that was created before September 1st 2021 you will need to re-create your account again. We apologize for this inconvenience. This should not happen again.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I"m going to end up getting a reputation if I keep this up *sigh*. Supposedly, there's the possibility of Warners selling off the CW so they can focus more on streaming. The company that's made a offer to buy the channel wants to turn it into a political channel.

This is all in the extremely early stages, so I wouldn't worry too much yet, but it seems like a possibility.

MrBlud

Citizen
The CW has *never* turned a profit as a Network so if it can’t with one of the most popular comic universes in existence you’d have obviously have to try something besides scripted programming if you’re gonna buy it.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I"m going to end up getting a reputation if I keep this up *sigh*. Supposedly, there's the possibility of Warners selling off the CW so they can focus more on streaming. The company that's made a offer to buy the channel wants to turn it into a political channel.

This is all in the extremely early stages, so I wouldn't worry too much yet, but it seems like a possibility.
I'm less bothered by the possible sale of the CW than I am of the possibility that we could get stuck with yet ANOTHER political channel (and one on broadcast, no less). The LAST thing this country needs more of....

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm less bothered by the possible sale of the CW than I am of the possibility that we could get stuck with yet ANOTHER political channel (and one on broadcast, no less). The LAST thing this country needs more of....
This. Just this......

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Yeah, the annoucement of Justice U does kind of point to this rumor being false.

But...maybe it's a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing? Or maybe all the shows will just move to HBO Max. Or...maybe the pilot just won't go anywhere, like the Green Arrow and the Canaries pilot. It's hard to say with rumors, sometimes.

Last edited:

Pocket

Yep.
Citizen
People are always talking about "taking money out of politics"; the easiest way they could do that is just have the FCC ban all political advertising. I bet it'd be real popular with people who live in swing states too.

Pocket

Yep.
Citizen
The FCC already has rules on the books that only avoid running afoul of the first amendment because they claim to literally own the airwaves. Rules against salty language, racial slurs, nudity—and the Fairness Doctrine back when that existed. No one has ever stood in the way of that. A rule that exists to stop elections from being a pay-to-win system (and, as a nice side effect, save people from having to sit through politicians bickering when they just want to watch their stories) is at least as nobly-intentioned as any of that, and if any Supreme Court thinks the Constitution says otherwise, then we either need a new Supreme Court or a new Constitution.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
The question would simply be "how do politicians get the word out to potential voters if not through paid advertising?"

There are potential answers to that question. Whether or not they would be considered viable is a different matter.

Top Bottom