Post Pictures of your Transformers, Let's see 40 years worth of Transformers!

Rufus

Citizen
garbagespike2.jpg

Alpha Omicron

Citizen
I noticed that one of Prowl's spoilers is black instead of white. I'm guessing that this is a QC issue. I don't want to mail it back and hope the next one is better. It would take months. I guess I could paint it myself, or just ignore it.

Prowl.jpg

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Its obviously supposed to be Sky Carry but Garry makes it sound so casual, I love it.
Oddly, it’s kind of common for Japanese toys around that era to use Garry instead of Carry. Bandai had Jet Garry and Siren Garry, for example. I’m not sure if it’s a concession to pronunciation issues, or if there’s a grammatical rule involving dakuten that causes it (the character for the Ka sound becomes Ga with the addition of two little marks like this”), or if it’s entirely intentional. Someone else more knowledgeable could weigh in.

More on topic, having a Transformer named Garry is cool, but wouldn’t a gorilla altmode be more appropriate?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I've always liked that his name is "Sky Garry."

Like, somewhere out there is a "Sky Jeff," or "Sky Kevin."

Oddly, it’s kind of common for Japanese toys around that era to use Garry instead of Carry. Bandai had Jet Garry and Siren Garry, for example. I’m not sure if it’s a concession to pronunciation issues, or if there’s a grammatical rule involving dakuten that causes it (the character for the Ka sound becomes Ga with the addition of two little marks like this”), or if it’s entirely intentional. Someone else more knowledgeable could weigh in.

More on topic, having a Transformer named Garry is cool, but wouldn’t a gorilla altmode be more appropriate?

As Japanese can often mix-up the /k/ and /g/ sounds (for example, the Japanese electronics shop chain, "Big Camera" is often pronounced "Bikku Kamera", although this might be the Japanese transcription of elision, caused by omitting the /g/ to make the /k/ more easily) , I would imagine it should have been called "Sky Carry" (as that's his function).

Still, there are TFs with "human" names, like "Randy" , etc.

I suppose Scylla is basically "Venus", for example...
Shes Got It OH Baby Shes Got It.png

Screenshot_20220308-100951.jpg

I'm surprised no one has done a similar picture...

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
As Japanese can often mix-up the /k/ and /g/ sounds (for example, the Japanese electronics shop chain, "Big Camera" is often pronounced "Bikku Kamera", although this might be the Japanese transcription of elision, caused by omitting the /g/ to make the /k/ more easily)
Bic Camera is called that because that's literally the name of the store. They're not mispronouncing it or mixing up the /g/ sound, the chain's name is ビックカメラ (bikku kamera) in kana. If it were meant to be called Big Camera, then it'd be ビッグカメラ (biggu kamera). (Of course, why they call it 'Bic Camera' is a whole nother story tho)

vT4jCqw.jpg

Fuckin hate how this figure is doomed to yellow in certain areas., makes it look like she has flesh-colored arms and legs like she's just someone wearing an Arcee cospaly. Even worse is that I only notice it when I go outside, when I'm indoors it all looks fine.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Bic Camera is called that because that's literally the name of the store. They're not mispronouncing it or mixing up the /g/ sound, the chain's name is ビックカメラ (bikku kamera) in kana. If it were meant to be called Big Camera, then it'd be ビッグカメラ (biggu kamera). (Of course, why they call it 'Bic Camera' is a whole nother story tho)

vT4jCqw.jpg

Fuckin hate how this figure is doomed to yellow in certain areas., makes it look like she has flesh-colored arms and legs like she's just someone wearing an Arcee cospaly. Even worse is that I only notice it when I go outside, when I'm indoors it all looks fine.
Thanks for the interesting links. It seems the extra information in the Japanese Wiki is absent from the English version.

However, to split hairs somewhat regarding your point about choosing "big/biku", then I would disagree somewhat. Ignoring your facts that have established the real (or more probable) reasons for the choice of name and instead looking at the more generalised reasons for any katakana use, then my point regarding elision is still valid. Hypothetically, if "big camera" was indeed said as one utterance, it could be transcribed in IPA as /bɪkæmərə/ , /bɪkæmræ/ or a derivative using two or three syllables and/or the /æ/ or /ə/ sounds. Thus, IF it was "big" that was heard, it wouldn't be wrong to transcribe it as ビックカメラ, right?

Japanese people don't always transcribe (English) terms or words accurately into katakana, and for a number of reasons (which aren't always due to the stereotypical "dumb Japanese Engrish" stereotype), but there are times I still don't understand why certain terms were chosen over the original English. For example, "The Matrix" being transcribed as ザー・・マトリックス ("Za Matorikusu") rather than ザー・メートリクス ("Za May-torikusu")...

Anyway, to reiterate, thanks for the interesting links and info regarding the history of "Biku Kamera"! Incidentally, Kojima Denki and Beisia are all from Gunma, where I used to live.

I'll get back on topic now, with a picture of a TF...

One Rabbit Stew Comin Up.png

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Happy International Women's Day! Greenlight is probably the best deal I ever made in all my years as a Transformers fan; bought her at TFCon Toronto 2019 for only $40 Canadian!

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr
Nice! I think an American friend has Greenlight waiting for me at their place, but they're waiting for safer times to come and visit me, so my combiner is still literally waiting for the Greenlight....

I'm glad I'm not the only one that chose to keep the "CW" styled E1, over the Arcee version too. I like how she's beefier than the rest (considering that she too was rebuilt, just was OP was) and looks more like a "leader" toy. Also, I wanted the jet, but not as Starscream. Maybe one day, they'll release the jet mode with some recoloured Arialbots as a new character/team? Has anyone got any pics of that?

Demovere Xeno

HALLELUJAH
Citizen
Nice! I think an American friend has Greenlight waiting for me at their place, but they're waiting for safer times to come and visit me, so my combiner is still literally waiting for the Greenlight....

I'm glad I'm not the only one that chose to keep the "CW" styled E1, over the Arcee version too. I like how she's beefier than the rest (considering that she too was rebuilt, just was OP was) and looks more like a "leader" toy. Also, I wanted the jet, but not as Starscream. Maybe one day, they'll release the jet mode with some recoloured Arialbots as a new character/team? Has anyone got any pics of that?
There was someone on the previous forum that posted a custom of PotP Starscream as Leozack; I didn't save the pics, but I remember it looking really good.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I’m very fond of PotP Elita-1, and I particularly like that she’s a jet instead of yet another car, and that’s bit taller than Earthrise Optimus. Definitely won’t be replacing her.

I stuck my Elita-1 from POTP, next to my Netflix verison of ER OP on my G1 season 1 & 2 cast of Autobot characters, so I'm not getting rid of her either

Top Bottom