Police behaving badly

Anonymous X

Citizen

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Draconian new policing act has resulted in journalists covering recent environmental protests arrested and their homes ransacked by police.

More info on this:

- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-63582532

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
"One thing that the journalistic community could do, through their editorial policy - and I very much believe in a free press - but we do need to think about whether or not we're adding flames to the fire by having these sorts of discussions."

Translation: "We know what we did, we did it on purpose, and you can't do anything about it." Heck this man, his entire life, and everything he stands for.

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Some good news for this morning. The young man shot for eating his burger by a now former cop has woken up. He is still in serious condition, having had a clip emptied into him, but his prognosis is much better.
I thought he got away safely as the pig only shot at the car?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
No, he was hit multiple times and has been in a coma until the other day. He was very close to death.

Oh wow, you're right. I didn't appreciate just how bad that incident was. Luckily, the ex-officer has been arrested/charged too.

"...(The victim)...is still on life-support and is non-responsive but his oxygen levels are showing an improvement...

...Rookie officer James Brennand, 27, who was fired in the days after the shooting and arrested on two counts of aggravated assault by a public servant on Tuesday, is out on $200,000 bail..."

(Source: - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...driving-stolen-car-when-shot-cop/10482048002/ )

NovaSaber

Citizen

The new policy, which defines how the SFPD is allowed to use its military-style weapons, was put together by the police department. Over the past several weeks, it has been scrutinized by supervisors Aaron Peskin, Rafael Mandelman and Connie Chan, who together comprise the Board of Supervisors Rules Committee.

The draft policy faces criticism from advocates for its language on robot force, as well as for excluding hundreds of assault rifles from its inventory of military-style weapons and for not including personnel costs in the price of its weapons.

Peskin, chair of the committee, initially attempted to limit the SFPD’s authority over the department’s robots by inserting the sentence, “Robots shall not be used as a Use of Force against any person.”

The following week, the police struck out his suggestion with a thick red line.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen

Another example of abuse from those wearing a badge.

Here's the thing that bothers me. You know you're on camera. You know the cells have a direct feed to offices for crisis monitoring. You know others will see this, possibly in real time. This is not something that was done with any idea of concealing it.
So why? Why throw away your career, your life, your future?
I could understand, but not condone, a defense of one person losing their head to stress, overwork, what have you. But this was a group that worked together to enact a more effective beating.
The only thing I can think of is such behavior has been allowed in the past. That things of this sort have happened before and been swept under the rug.

I just don't understand.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Because they're used to having no consequences. Only time will tell if that actually meaningfully changes.

MrBlud

Citizen
I guarantee you they’ve all done this before.

They’ll probably drag things out, plea to some lesser charge and go three towns over and keep doing it until if/when they’re caught again.

Rinse and repeat.

If you’re a violent sociopath and want to brutalize others with almost no legal repercussions and practically no societal ones you definitely can’t do better than being a Cop or Corrections Officer.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
The SFPD has clarified that their robots authorised to use lethal force will not be equipped with firearms. Instead they will be armed with explosive charges.
Maxie added, "While an explosive charge may be considered an intermediate force option, it could potentially cause injury or be lethal."

You don't say.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
There is precedent for this.

For those not interested in the article, a man decided he wanted to kill cops. He got 5 of them before being holed up in a building where there was only one way to get to him. A kill funnel. He was armed to the teeth and his stated goal was to kill as many cops as he could before they took him.
So they strapped a pound of c4 onto their bomb drone, sent him up the corridor and blew it up.

Given those circumstances, I don't disagree with this decision.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
In certain, extreme, and very specific cases, it may be justifiable. Rhinox's example is one; the gunman clearly had no intention of surrendering or any goal beyond mass murder. But in general? It's a terrifying idea.

Top Bottom