Playstation Thread.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I actually saw a poll on GameFaqs (holy crap, what a cesspool) asking if, being more than a year into the new generation, should Sony (and I would guess Microsoft by extension) abandon the PS4 as being last gen.

I honestly thought that was a crap question to even ask. Any other generation I'd say that yes, more than a year into the new generation, start phasing out, if not outright drop the previous generation and let the new generation shine.

But this generation has had such a shortage problem, I only just got mine a week ago today... and was damn lucky at that. Speaking as someone who actually does have a PS5 and would love to see games that take full advantage of the PS5's capabilities and not be held back by having to make the games playable on PS4...I do think that would be a crap thing to do to people who are still on PS4 and absolutely can not find a PS5 with these shortages still going on.

That said, without totally abandoning the PS4, it would be nice to see more games that take more advantage of the power and features that the PS5 makes possible.

Caldwin

Citizen
Once you've played a shoot 'em up with gyro assisted aiming, you never want to go back.

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, now that all the game data has been transferred to the PS5 and all the captures have been transferred to my computer, I no longer had a use for the PS4. Like, I couldn't even use it now if I wanted to because all of the licenses, game saves, etc. are now on the PS5. So now the PS5 is sitting where the PS4 used to be and the PS4 is on the way to my cousin. In retrospect, I might've at least had her chip in on shipping, but hey, the big thing was I rather keep it in the family than have it collect dust in some grimy Disk Replay backroom. I know she'll use it.

Still should've had her chip in on shipping. *shrugs*

Caldwin

Citizen
So I was in the "Physical Game Disks" thread when I was reminded of the PSP and I just happened to think, what PSP/Vita games have been given console ports and which ones do I still wish would be ported?

I don't have a particularly huge collection, especially of games that weren't simultaneously released on cosole already. But off the top of my head, Gravity Rush and Crisis Core were the two biggest games I was hoping to have ported, and now they have been. Crisis Core was my biggest one that I wanted.

I do still wish Final Fantasy Dissidia would get a port, or at least a decent sequel. Yeah there's Dissidia NT, but that was such a disappointment, it's hardly anything like the PSP games.

I'd also like to see Alpha Street Fighter 3 Max. Yeah, Alpha 3 is part of several collections. But that's the arcade version whereas Max had a bunch of options and a greatly expanded roster.

That's all I can think of really. Anyone else?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Mega Man Powered Up and Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X should have been ported to the PS2 and Wii ages ago, but they'd be no less welcome now.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles as well. Sure, there's the PS4 release, but it's PlayStation-only for some godforsaken reason, and lacks the 3D remake besides.

Caldwin

Citizen

My understanding is that this affects only the 12-month subscriptions. I personally shouldn't be effected since I'm doing the 3-month plan. For me it's easier to pay less at once even if it means I pay more in the long run.

Still, these are hefty increases, particularly for the premium tier. A lot of people are understandably upset.

is anyone planning on canceling their subscriptions or at least moving to a lower tier? Like I said, my understanding is that this is only the 12-month subscriptions. So I shouldn't be affected. It still makes me fear the slippery slope though.

wentwood

Citizen
Playing

Tomb Raider IX Underworld

Trying to skewer a Kraken in the head to kill it so hunting down the leavers.

wentwood

Citizen
Play Station 2

Tomb Raider VII Legend
Tomb Raider VIII Anniversary
Tomb Raider IX Underworld

Tomb Raider VIII blew the roof off the insanity rediculous. I'm on Peru Level 3 and holy bollocks. It got worse.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I found out something interesting, as I prepare to commit to a PS5 (what can I say, they got good franchises and games):

While you can no longer view them, Sony still has the record of any purchases you made for PS One and PSP titles you made in the past. Should said title be made available for purchase outside of the PS Plus tiers…you don’t have to pay for them. I discovered over a dozen titles I could add to my Library, making them accessible on PS4/5.

Obviously, it doesn’t count if the game isn’t listed or had been replaced my a “newer” version (ie, a good many of Square’s titles got varying degrees of remasters). So while Legend of Mana is available for purchase, it isn’t the “same” version I had purchased years ago.

So, that’s a great thing by Sony, hopefully a few more house classics like R&C Size Matters, Secret Agent Clank, Jeanne d’Arc and Daxter. Outside of Killzone Mercenary, most of the major Vita titles got adapted into new versions, and a LOT of the 3rd party games I had are getting remakes and remasters.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
I hate to say it... I wouldn't count on those working right, even if they did.

I have a game on the PS5 that literally does not emulate properly and runs better on the PS4.

wentwood

Citizen
Currently playing Tomb Raider VII Legend - Tomb Raider IX Underworld.

I finished Tomb Raider VI by way of a DVD game adaptation.

wentwood

Citizen
Tomb Raider VII Legend - Tomb Raider IX Underworld

When these 3 games hit on PS 2 it seems like the difficulty level of gaming has gotten way harder than it needs to be and ever since these 3 games any game for that matter has been rough and annoying to finish.

So it seems with each PS the gameplay has been insane.

PS 1 games hadn't nearly gotten that bad about it.

Deathy G1

Citizen
Anybody besides me pickup a Playstation Portal today? I grabbed one after deciding that remote play via my phone was too small and awkward. I need a way to play without a tv since my wife isn't a fan of watching me play games on our bedroom tv when she could be watching something else (and moving the ps5 to another tv would lead to it being damaged like my old PS4 pro).

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Didn't know that was a thing. Portable games are way easier for me these days. Let me know how it performs.

Deathy G1

Citizen
It’s not technically a portable gaming system, it requires WiFi or internet access and your PS5 to be turned on, connected to WiFi and not in use by someone else.

Even with those limitations, it’s should be exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll report back after I use it.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Anybody besides me pickup a Playstation Portal today? I grabbed one after deciding that remote play via my phone was too small and awkward. I need a way to play without a tv since my wife isn't a fan of watching me play games on our bedroom tv when she could be watching something else (and moving the ps5 to another tv would lead to it being damaged like my old PS4 pro).
A phablet (HA! Auto-correct let that slide!), perhaps? For the cost of a Portal, you could get a decent small tablet which would have more uses beyond being a Remote Play device. And use Bluetooth as well.
It’s a Wii U tablet.
But with MORE RANGE! /s

It’s a VERY niche device. It seems (from reviews) to serve that niche quite well, but it’s still a $200 accessory for a feature that can be had elsewhere.
Are there select scenarios where the Portal has value? Sure. I think Deathy‘s situation makes a degree of sense. Even though I suggested a cheap tablet, it’s hard to tell if the investment will offer the same ease of use and interaction support the Portal offers.

But for me? It doesn’t make a huge amount of sense. I don’t have Enough “invested” in the platform to justify the play time, and my WiFi (especially what’s available outside my house) is probably not up to the needs of that kind of streaming device.

Top Bottom