Owning Movies On DVD

wentwood

Citizen
One of the major extra factors as to why I own movies on DVD is the stream run rights.

Sometimes a stream feed will drop a movie from their feed us the license to run it will expire out.

So to avoid missing out I bought all of the movies I plan to watch on DVD.

The rights for a stream server to carry it runs out so better to have that movie on hand as a fail safe.

Like VHS in 2006 at that time they were all DVD.

I picked up movies that were made in the VHS era on DVD.

I expect this to the case when movies are Blu Ray only at some point soon.

In the case of Blu Ray I will just need a player.

My DVD library won't be left behind.

wentwood

Citizen
They quit doing VHS movies in 2005 and it was full DVD in 2006 so at some point again it will be all Blu Ray.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I am a hoarder. I've bought boxes of movies sight unseen and found out what was in them later. I don't even know the full inventory of what I have at this point. I will never change.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I prefer physical media because the audiovisual quality you get on even a standard BD is leagues higher than you'd ever get on even a 4K stream.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Streaming was a replacement for renting movies, and it still works pretty well as a replacement for traditional TV. It's not really that big a change. We were already able to pick from a menu of channels. Now we pick from a menu of individual shows and movies. It's a pretty natural next step.

It is not a replacement for owning things. We pick from the menu but we still don't get to decide what's on the menu. Shows and movies will come and go. Just like traditional TV. Your favorite syndicated show could always vanish. Even if there weren't rights issues keeping things on one platform or another, no platform can have everything.

I want some things to always be on the menu, so I'm willing to devote the shelf and floor space for my permanent physical copies.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I'm not even opposed to streaming, I just want everything on streaming to also come to BD and DVD. It's especially annoying with a streaming service removes a series or movie they own and it's not available physically or even on another streaming service.

wentwood

Citizen
I watch movies on DVD off wi fi.

With streaming you need a strong stable connection otherwise if it gets slow it will buffer and drag or if your wi fi connection server doesn't work you can't stream and you have to call your provider or get a new router.

Also if you have the disk you can watch the movie on a TV screen. (Via a DVD or Blu Ray player.)

This way you can see the movie on a full size screen.

wentwood

Citizen
At a later date I plan to see Super Mario Bros and some of the newer movies on DVD but for now I'm getting caught up.

Also owning the disk will save a gig or more of space on what you use to watch movies.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I have lived in too many places with unreliable internet to put much faith in a streaming service. On top of that, licensing issues, questionable tax write-off maneuvers, and services just dropping titles for no apparent reason make streaming offerings inconsistent. I will always prefer physical media for those reasons.

And, I think services should be required to produce physical copies of exclusive programming after a set cooldown period, even if they are just made on demand discs. Still waiting on Lost In Space seasons 2&3, Stranger Things 3&4, and any Mandalorian seasons on DVD or blu-ray. I would happily pay for legit copies of any of those, if the services involved would deign to offer them.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Also if you have the disk you can watch the movie on a TV screen. (Via a DVD or Blu Ray player.)

This way you can see the movie on a full size screen.
I mean you can literally do this with streaming too, this is not some advantage physical releases have over streaming.

Probably the vast majority of TVs sold nowadays are (garbage) smart TVs with streaming services built-in as apps and if you don't have a smart TV (or don't want to use the crappy built-in apps of your smart TV), you can just use a streaming stick, game console, or hell even lots of BD players these days have built-in WiFi and streaming support too.

wentwood

Citizen
Currently catching up the main line franchise movie lines.

This can be a problem in some cases.

So I get all the movies in that line on DVD and watch in order from the first one.

In that case I waited til they don't make any more and watch them all together.

Movie studio holders are now doing group release sets so it gave me a chance to catch up.

I had to get Maze Runner in 3 orders , but for the others they were all together.

007 released by Bond. (Except for No Time To Die)

Now it's a wait for new chapters to release.

Ryougabot

Citizen
I try to get physical media as MSM and the government constantly edit streaming media and remove some content altogether. If you have physical media, you can spot the changes and see how you are being manipulated. Obviously. some parties don't want that.

The mouse is really good at that.

wentwood

Citizen
Finished up Divergent Trilogy and Maze Runner Trilogy on DVD and this proved what I thought.

In a trilogy on a stream feed sometimes they have one movie or two but not all three.

I borrowed the Ocean's 11 movies from my library and will see them next.

The library does have DVDs to loan out. I stop there to watch some of the ones I missed.

What I also like to do is wait for all the chapters of a movie series to release and watch all of them on DVD. Ocean's 11 had filled out a while ago.

I now can also watch all 9 Skywalker movies in Star Wars which made it worth the wait.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
You know this thread is like the exact opposite of a thread on another forum I post on where someone has been arguing for months that the claim of owning physical media isn't valid because someone could break into your house and steal your DVDs or BDs.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
I borrowed the Ocean's 11 movies from my library and will see them next.

What I also like to do is wait for all the chapters of a movie series to release and watch all of them on DVD. Ocean's 11 had filled out a while ago.

You're going to have so much fun with those. The first time I watched Oceans 11 I didn't know what I was getting into - it blew me away when it all came together. Oceans 13 is my favorite, but I love that whole series.

wentwood

Citizen
With most of the main franchise sets on DVD waiting to see what others turn up on Tubi and You Tube.

A note on Scooby-Doo And Scrappy-Doo

The episodes from Series VI have been relisted as Series IV while episodes from the New Scooby-Doo And Scrappy-Doo Show are listed as Series V.

As for Franchise movie lines I plan to watch Police Academy soon.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Anything I want to have for keeps, I get a physical copy of.

Or can't get on digital. Saw the OG Cowboy Bebop on Netflix last year. Still there now, but they removed the movie before I got to see it, so I wound up getting a copy for Christmas.

wentwood

Citizen
I mainly picked up the mainline franchise movies.

I want to try to stream Indiana Jones if I can.

I saw Home Alone 5 and 6 on Disney +.

Top Bottom