Oddest or most random "Holy Grails"

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Early signs of pretooling for the Dinobot/Terrorcon molds show that HasTak did have at least some interest in the Monstructor/Dinoking guys.

Cutthroat had a pretooled robot mode head based on that of Wildfly/Yokuryu, while Snarl had a pretooled cannon barrel that sat above/behind his Stegosaurus head like the one found on Doryu's Pretender shell.

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
I don't know that it's that odd, but my biggest collecting regret is not picking up the Movie Preview Ultra Magnus (Powered Convoy) reissue when it came out. They don't even show up on eBay anymore, and when they do they're like $600.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
I don't know that it's that odd, but my biggest collecting regret is not picking up the Movie Preview Ultra Magnus (Powered Convoy) reissue when it came out. They don't even show up on eBay anymore, and when they do they're like $600.
While I have one, I certainly would have grabbed one to keep MISB if they weren't so scarce and expensive. Same goes for Shining Magnus actually.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
While it's not a 'grail' as I do have one, I have often wondered if the Grand Max shell included with Double Pretender Megatron was originally run with the Encore Fortress Maximus, as when I put them together the grey plastic matched really well. I wonder if it was cast at the time and then painted to be 'different' for TFSS. I don't know how the timetables worked for the different projects.

34393700356_959a94cf12_o.jpg

34309185936_9916a93140_o.jpg

On a weird note I have had a few people find these pics and get really mad at me for both adding window stickers to Fortress Maximus and adding a shell that has the 'wrong' faction symbol, but in RL it looks awesome.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
While it's not a 'grail' as I do have one, I have often wondered if the Grand Max shell included with Double Pretender Megatron was originally run with the Encore Fortress Maximus, as when I put them together the grey plastic matched really well. I wonder if it was cast at the time and then painted to be 'different' for TFSS. I don't know how the timetables worked for the different projects.
The story goes that the shell was uncovered by Takara at the time of when they were wanting to do the release of Encore Fort Max. But since the shell was for Grand Max, it was left out of the Encore Fort Max release for authenticity. But, Takara then offered both the shell and the opportunity to release Encore Grand Max to e-HOBBY. This did not happen. Then, e-HOBBY gave the same offer of releasing Encore Grand Max (shell and all) to Fun Pub! Imagine such a release as a BotCon exclusive! Alas, however, such an enormous release was not realistically feasible for Fun Pub.

So, Fun Pub did what they felt was the next best thing: They released the Grand Max Pretender Shell to the Hasbro market, which had never received a release of that shell before. Initially, Fun Pub considered releasing the shell for a Pretender Galvatron, with the shell colored like G1 toy colors and the inner robot being a retool of 2010 Scout class Breacher with a new head in G1 cartoon colors:

5vNx5WD.jpg

Ultimately, they released the shell as Double Pretender Megatron. My guess is that they figured people would have already bought Encore Fort Max, so they released the shell in colors that would match well enough with Fort Max in case anyone who had both wanted to put them together, and Megatron's colors were similar enough to let the shell also work with Fort Max.

Octavius Prime

UT Enthusiast
Citizen
Probably Magmatron. It was always just a bit more expensive than I wanted on ebay back in the late 2000s when I was really going after those kinds of toys.

Anonymous X

Citizen
My minor grails are Universe 1.0 Razorclaw (the Tigerhawk recolour), Cybertron Dark Scorponok and Armada Predacon. Don’t laugh.

(CybDarkScorp’s probably off the list now due to possibility of gold plastic syndrome).)

Anonymous X

Citizen
Probably Magmatron. It was always just a bit more expensive than I wanted on ebay back in the late 2000s when I was really going after those kinds of toys.
I bought Magmatron off eBay with first pay packet from a part-time job. Loved that figure, for all its quirks.

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
My minor grails are Universe 1.0 Razorclaw (the Tigerhawk recolour), Cybertron Dark Scorponok and Armada Predacon. Don’t laugh.

(CybDarkScorp’s probably off the list now due to possibility of gold plastic syndrome).)
I only own three Armada toys, and five Beast Wars toys, and that's counting Armada Predacon as one of each. It's such a fun toy, in a wonderfully atypical color scheme for a Transformer.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I could probably count replacing the Razorclaw I foolishly sold back in the day as a minor grail at this point given the prices last I checked - but all three of those are delightfully weird and/or edgy colorschemes.

God, I miss Universe 1.0.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Ultimately, they released the shell as Double Pretender Megatron. My guess is that they figured people would have already bought Encore Fort Max, so they released the shell in colors that would match well enough with Fort Max in case anyone who had both wanted to put them together, and Megatron's colors were similar enough to let the shell also work with Fort Max.

Oh, wow, thanks! I didn't know much of that at all, and it explains everything. That's VERY interesting, and great foresight on their part!

Kizudarake

Citizen
My grail is G1 Jetfires. I currently have 3 of them, with 1.5 armor sets.

Attachments

• D4852316-C612-4D2D-8AB2-344480843B76.jpeg
    D4852316-C612-4D2D-8AB2-344480843B76.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 61

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I’d have to say either G1 Overlord or Deathsaurus. I got the TR Overlord so that kind of fills my need for him though. Did Atlas would be nice. I skipped the set that came out a few years ago, those would have made great additions as well.

Top Bottom