Obi-Wan Kenobi - streaming on Disney+

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
On the heels of the conclusion of The Book of Boba Fett, we now have the premiere date of Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+: Wednesday 25 May 2022.

3opxr9T.jpg

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
Cby4y8K.jpg

Ro1bQbl.png

Why is Disney so bad at aliens?

Having read John Jackson Miller's Kenobi recently, this looks kinda.... stupid. I dunno, guess I always expected Ben's in-between-trilogy adventures to be fairly low-key, with Maul being the one "big" event. Inquisitors and off-world exploits and Vader rematch are all pretty ridiculous.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Cby4y8K.jpg

Ro1bQbl.png

Why is Disney so bad at aliens?

That's like asking why they are so bad at original story telling these days, it boils down to the fact that they do pretty much everything by commitee and they are playing it safe, plus they don't want anything to ulgy, in other words, they suck, besides they need to keep things within budget otherwise they could have another Solo on their hands where the budget ballooned and they failed to reap the rewards, thou Solo had a lot going against it by the time it came out!

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Well I’m invested two episodes in. So far it’s a story that fits in the time period without breaking continuity and has quite a bit of intrigue.

And kid Leia is everything she should be at this point. And more than a minute worth of Alderaan on planet! Kind of slightly surprising they didn’t just have Artoo as her droid buddy but glad as it would be drawing attention as to why an Astromech would be a Princesses attendant…. But then again Padme had him around too.., most likely just better to distance both Artoo and Threepio from her to disassociate her from them at all. A golden protocol droid in the palace isn’t a stretch overall.

Dake

Citizen
Really enjoyed the first two episodes.

The reveal of Leia as the driving force for the story at the start was a surprise and a good one. The actor playing young Leia is really good and they've managed to keep her from seeming too annoyingly precocious.

I suspect we'll see complaints about Obi-wan succumbing to the same ennui/disillusion as Luke from TLJ, but it certainly fits. It makes sense that there should be some significant PTSD at work for Kenobi, and the way it presents itself is reasonable.

Fun little Easter eggs scattered throughout:
-I guess Luke eventually gets his T-16 model anyway.
-U-3P0!
-I half expected the old Clone Trooper to "reactivate" when he heard there was a Jedi in the city

The only canon-stretching so far is it makes Leia's plea to Kenobi in New Hope seem a bit odd in its formality. Spending a day or two running from kidnappers and Bounty Hunters on a strange planet with him ten years earlier would have left an indelible mark on her at that young age. She wouldn't have needed any of the introductory stuff, but I guess you could always say her diplomatic training was ingrained by that point.

The pacing of the two episodes managed to be sedate without feeling slow (unlike Book of Boba Fett). The lack of so many "silent nods" back and forth helped tighten things up. All in all, I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the show.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I'm thinking this
was just a plot device to get the Grand Inquisitor out of Reva's way to go on her kill Kenobi crusade unimpeded. Unlike Qui Gon there's no laser gates blocking aid to get to him so as soon as the rest of the Inquisition forces get there Reva will blame it on Obi-Wan, Grandy gets to a bacta tank unconscious and unable to tell his story until he's patched back up, in the meantime emboldened by Reva's false testimony the rest of the Inquisitors are chomping at the bit to take down Obi-Wan for their own elevation.... Until Vader gets involved directly which will put a damper on Reva's Kill the Jedi agenda a bit if only because she's hesitant to push Vader until her time comes.

The big question is why Reva's got the mad on for Obi-Wan? It's implied she was one of the Padawans in the beginning Order 66 scene. She knows Vader's real identity, which is bending a few people out of shape online, but it could be something she came across on her own. It could explain why some Jedi were spared for the Inquisitors. We've never got the explanation why some were spared from Order 66 and perhaps we could see that play out in at least Reva's backstory.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
Ehhhh.....

Depressed Kenobi feels like a terrible retread of TLJ Luke.

The grand inquisitor straight up dying is a gigantic WTF moment. Do they not know anything about the show they're poaching from? Is death so ******* meaningless now that getting stabbed in the gut by a lightsaber should be immediately disregarded (sorry Qui-Gon and Satine)? Will the Pau'an Inquisitor with distinct facial tattoos get replaced by a nigh-identical Pau'an Inquisitor with distinct facial tattoos but without a cape? What is this.

Reva just blurting out that Anakin and Vader interchangeably is also pretty bad, considering Vader and the Emperor don't even do that in private, but I think the implication is she's a survivor of the Temple Purge and could conceivably know the truth. Still, alongside the above it just feels terribly sloppy.

Obi Wan, Luke, and Leia staying hidden all this time was always a bit of a weird thing, though it's kinda insane all three got separately threatened on the same day.

Are all Tatooine creatures omnivores? Boba Fett gave his Bantha meat, and Obi Wan does the same with his Eopie, even though both animals sure look like herbivores. And we finally see grass on this planet, so it's not like plants don't exist.

Wasn't John Williams supposed to be doing the music for this?

Bail and Leia moments are adorable, though!

Cybersnark

Citizen
The Inquisitor's injury could also explain how cadaverously thin he is five years later in Rebels.

And Obi-Wan's PTSD is the entire point; this story is to show how Ben goes from a broken man to Guinness' almost jovial performance.

I'm also amused how Leia continues to be the smarter, more Force-sensitive, and more self-reliant sibling. Everyone backed the wrong Skywalker.

(And I'll have to re-watch. does Leia ever hear/register the name "Kenobi?" By the time Reva catches up to them, Leia's on the transport [too far away to hear their conversation]. She may only know/remember him as "Ben" --A decade later her father sends her to look for "Obi-Wan Kenobi," and it's not until Luke arrives that she hears "Ben Kenobi" and puts two-and-two together [and kinda freaks out: "He's here?! Where is he?!?"].)

Dake

Citizen
The Inquisitor's injury could also explain how cadaverously thin he is five years later in Rebels.

And Obi-Wan's PTSD is the entire point; this story is to show how Ben goes from a broken man to Guinness' almost jovial performance.

I'm also amused how Leia continues to be the smarter, more Force-sensitive, and more self-reliant sibling. Everyone backed the wrong Skywalker.

(And I'll have to re-watch. does Leia ever hear/register the name "Kenobi?" By the time Reva catches up to them, Leia's on the transport [too far away to hear their conversation]. She may only know/remember him as "Ben" --A decade later her father sends her to look for "Obi-Wan Kenobi," and it's not until Luke arrives that she hears "Ben Kenobi" and puts two-and-two together [and kinda freaks out: "He's here?! Where is he?!?"].)
Yeah...

-I was wondering how long until the complaints about Kenobi similar to those about Luke were going to pop up. I thought Luke's disillusionment was reasonable, how much more so then should Kenobi's? Not only did he see everything he'd dedicated his entire existence to collapse, he actually was partly responsible for it.

-I also had to chuckle about the difference between Luke and Leia. I'm sure there will be Mary Sue complaints about her, but I think it's a reasonable difference in the "nurture" side vs nature. They are both strong in the Force, but one was raised in a progressive Senator's home with the best education, loving parents and high expectations for her future. The other was dropped on a farm to be grudgingly raised by his half-step-uncle and aunt, every day a sign of both Owen's mom's previous life as a slave, and Owen and Beru's inability to have kids of their own (or the reason they decided not to). Not the best environment to flourish.

It IS surprising that Leia was not chosen first to carry on the Legacy, but they may use this series as an opportunity to explain that lapse (which really only exists in the context of the far greater universe that exists now vs what was originally shown on film in 1977).

-As for the Inquisitor, remember that Maul got cut in half and got better so a lightsaber through the gut is only a flesh wound these days. I mean, "Somehow Palpatine returned." ;) :D

Top Bottom