Obi-Wan Kenobi - streaming on Disney+

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Thanks for the info. Hmm, general Grievous didn't have Force powers so he's not an Inquisitor. He just fights with sabers.

I'm just fuzzy on any non Force users getting to use lightsabers. If Inquisitors were corrupted Jedi and had Force powers, then it's ok.

Btw, Kingo whatsisname was not Force sensitive at all, right?

Cybersnark

Citizen
The Inquisitors didn't really exist before the Empire (nothing to Inquire about). Notably, they've existed as a concept since the 90s; High Inquisitor Tremayne first appeared in Galaxy Guide 9 back in 1993.

As for letting Kenobi go, remember that Vader still holds Anakin's title of Biggest Drama-Queen In The Galaxy. He didn't want to ruin the moment.

It's also possible Lord Wheezy was more winded after that chase and fight than he was letting on.

Dvandom

Citizen
This may or may not be the same Grand Inquisitor, given that Rebels is set several years later (teenaged Leia shows up in a few eps).

Here's another way to think about it: the only real Sith are like the King and the Crown Prince, and only the Crown Prince is given all the secrets of rule. There may be other non-inheriting princes, and plenty of other aristocrats, but none of them have enough power or knowledge to overthrow the King. Grievous was an aristocrat with no illusions of ever ruling, Count Dooku was a prince who thought himself in line for the throne once the previous Crown Prince was bisected, Asajj Ventriss may or may not have had illusions of being in the line of succession, and the Inquisitors are very clearly non-line aristos. They are all taught enough to be useful to the King, but none learn enough to be a THREAT to the King.

---Dave

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
This may or may not be the same Grand Inquisitor, given that Rebels is set several years later (teenaged Leia shows up in a few eps).

Pretty sure it's supposed to be the same guy. The comics even showed us the Grand Inquisitor's first meeting with Vader shortly after ROTS and his head didn't look like a volleyball back then either.

rh7la4Z.jpg

EGsvx5J.jpg

MrBlud

Citizen
I’m just amazed/disappointed that a franchise that has a guy burned over 100% of his body and having lost multiple limbs; is able to survive just fine but an Inquistor having a flesh wound means he’s dead and canon is broke.

Cradok

Citizen
I always liked the rationale behind the Rule of Two. How do you control a worldview where backstabbing is rampant, you make it so that backstabbing is one of the single most important tenets, but only to be done when the time is right or else you diminish everything. Palpatine worked out how to do away with that by becoming immortal, and spent his life engineering things so that he'd not only live forever, but rule the galaxy. That's partly why I never liked the cunning schemer version of Maul, he always felt to me like just a weapon that Palpatine had curated, not trained to take his Master's position one day.

Vader was great, he felt much more like himself than he did in Rogue One. He still has Anakin's raw fury, but he's getting towards the more tempered rage that he'll have by the OT. It sounded like Hayden did line readings which James Earl Jones then used when he did his own take, there's a lot of Anakin in Vader's voice, you can picture Hayden saying the lines without the mask.

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
I always liked the rationale behind the Rule of Two. How do you control a worldview where backstabbing is rampant, you make it so that backstabbing is one of the single most important tenets, but only to be done when the time is right or else you diminish everything.

I've never checked out any pre-Republic SW stories with the old Sith, but I do love the Rule of Two as a concept.

Or really, any variation of the "Klingon promotion" trope, which I didn't even realize had a name until I just looked it up.

Cybersnark

Citizen
I always liked the rationale behind the Rule of Two. How do you control a worldview where backstabbing is rampant, you make it so that backstabbing is one of the single most important tenets, but only to be done when the time is right or else you diminish everything.
And where you only ever get the one shot.

If the Apprentice makes their move and fails, the Master will find a new Apprentice.

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
I’m just amazed/disappointed that a franchise that has a guy burned over 100% of his body and having lost multiple limbs; is able to survive just fine but an Inquistor having a flesh wound means he’s dead and canon is broke.
Look, Darth Maul got chopped in half, then got better, while Padme died from being sad... Star Wars does not have consistent rules for death and this is nothing new.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
"Permanent deaths" is up there with "stormtrooper effectiveness" in things I really wish would be taken seriously, because they had been before.

I also don't get why "it happened before" has become such a constant defense. A flaw is a flaw, it doesn't magically stop being one because it's not a unique flaw. Even wilder when the earlier example was universally panned at the time. Like, we're not going to learn from a mistake, instead we're just gonna lower the standard? That's terrible.

Axaday

Citizen
There was something I inferred from "The Last Jedi" that I haven't heard any further development on and no one ever seems to talk about. I hope that what Palpatine revealed is that Sith Masters don't get too fussed about their Apprentice eventually stabbing them in the back because when he does, the Master and all the Masters before him possess the Apprentice and live on. Maybe that isn't what they really meant to say, but it is amazingly cool to me and they've been doing it 1000 years and the Jedi had NO IDEA.

Pale Rider

Citizen
Yeah, Palpatine may have actually been a "nesting doll" of Sith Lords going all the way back to Darth Bane. In that sense, Palpatine was never really Palpatine at all. He was just the body of Palpatine with the mind of Darth Bane in the driver's seat.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Think your referring to Rise of Skywalker there. But while there is some connection to the Master overwriting the Apprentice in Legends ( Darth Bane to Darth Zannah) I'm not sure that's completely the case in the canon or not. If so why the need for Rey? Does blood need to be there for the transfer? Could Palpatine have made it to Ben instead? Vader before? Could Palpatine have been hoping to turn Luke so he could skip over the disappointment that Vader became to him?

But I don't think they have ever inferred that the Masters succession has always been like that. I have no doubt that Sidious had plenty of time and means to obtain a way to do so. But overall there's no real reason to fully think it's always been like that in canon yet.

Dake

Citizen
There was something I inferred from "The Last Jedi" that I haven't heard any further development on and no one ever seems to talk about. I hope that what Palpatine revealed is that Sith Masters don't get too fussed about their Apprentice eventually stabbing them in the back because when he does, the Master and all the Masters before him possess the Apprentice and live on. Maybe that isn't what they really meant to say, but it is amazingly cool to me and they've been doing it 1000 years and the Jedi had NO IDEA.

I believe you're thinking of "Rise of Skywalker"? At least that's when he... somehow returned.

That being said, the impression I got was he was going to possess or whatever Rey because they were related. I have however only watched the movie once, so I'm probably wrong.

(or you know - what Daith said when he beat me by milliseconds)

Pale Rider

Citizen
But I don't think they have ever inferred that the Masters succession has always been like that. I have no doubt that Sidious had plenty of time and means to obtain a way to do so. But overall there's no real reason to fully think it's always been like that in canon yet.

Well, there's also the fact that Yoda actually met the spirit of Darth Bane in TCW. Presumably, if he was inhabiting the body of Palpatine at that time, his spirit wouldn't have also been residing on Moraband.

Axaday

Citizen
I can't remember whether I have seen Rise of Skywalker once or twice. But he was saying the same stuff to Rey that he'd said to Luke and it was the same stuff that a Sith Apprentice always does. And I really think he said some plural stuff. Maybe it doesn't go all the way to Bane. Maybe picked up somewhere along the way, but it would have been a good reason to start the Rule of Two.

I am sure when Return of the Jedi was written the intention was that Palpatine always knew that after Luke gave in and let the Dark Side get its hooks in him, he would always be able to save himself and Luke wouldn't be able to actually strike him down, but it is super ripe to be interpreted that he is so giddy because he knows that when he gets struck down he'll still win and then he'll be traipsing around as the hero of the Rebellion.

For simplicity's sake, it also make a short explanation of how the cloning deal works. Some sort of Sith ritual allows the Sith spirit to stay intact at any death and if you're attached to your own body then make some copies and go where you wish when you die.

I looked it up and Palpatine told Rey, "I am all the Sith".

Top Bottom